Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is another link to the manuals (cameras, flash, and drives). The answers regarding expected behavior should be there:
Pentax Auto 110, Pentax Auto 110 super,* instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals, user guide
Regarding a few of your questions:
  • The camera is fully electronic and therefore battery dependent
  • Battery check is in the viewfinder
  • The winder is likely "running on" because you have no film in the camera
I have never handled an Auto 110, but spent about 30 seconds with both the camera and winder manuals.

Steve

(What is that abbreviation...)

01-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Steve is correct. It requires batteries to function. For one thing the aperture is actually in the body. I used to have a winder. I don't know where it is. I wouldn't currently use it anyway. I do use the flash and have an 18mm lens, 24mm lens, 50mm lens, and 70mm lens (shown in my Avatar).

This is really a simple camera to operate.
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
An separate auto 110 question - what are the two small batteries inside the camera for?

I'm guessing they have to do with the meter, but I don't see any evidence yet they do anything. Have shot one roll on the camera so far, tried pushing the shutter 1/2 way down in low night - no red "underexposed" indicator in the viewfinder. No reaction of any sort.

What are these batteries for?
The camera is useless without them, as they power the meter, shutter, and aperture. They also must be correctly oriented; that's no problem if the removable battery holder is still there but that's a commonly lost piece.

I prefer the results of ASA 200 shot at 100, not 400. My understanding is that Kodak ceased production of 400 film some time ago and I haven't been able to find it anywhere other than eBay.

Like others, I send my 110 film to Dwayne's.

Brad
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brad_Olson Quote
The camera is useless without them, as they power the meter, shutter, and aperture. They also must be correctly oriented; that's no problem if the removable battery holder is still there but that's a commonly lost piece.

I prefer the results of ASA 200 shot at 100, not 400. My understanding is that Kodak ceased production of 400 film some time ago and I haven't been able to find it anywhere other than eBay.

Like others, I send my 110 film to Dwayne's.

Brad
Camera was working fine, but after playing around with it much more I think I found the answer to my question. I was looking for a light & just found one in the lower-right corner of the viewfinder. Alternates from green or amber depending on the light. Reacts if you push on the 80/400 ASA switch as well.

Have used Dwayne's for Kodachrome. Just sent a couple 110 & super-8 rolls off. Looking forward to seeing the results from this camera!

01-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
all film blank!!

Just got my 1st two test rolls back - & both were completely blank!!

The lab said one was underexposed & the other overexposed. Bizarre, as both rolls were 400 speed film, I "cut the tab" on both of them so the camera would supposedly read as 400 asa. One roll was early 90's & the other had an expiration of 2009 so I can't imagine it was the film. I shot poorly-stored 110 film from the 80's film on a Minolta - images were tweaked but there was something there.

Trying to figure out what could have gone wrong. The camera seemed to be working fine - I could see shutter tripping when I would open the back, even installed a fresh set of batteries to be safe. All images were shot during the day, outdoors. Sunny/partly cloudy. There is not even a hint on an image on a single frame. Completely blank film. As if a lens cap was still on or something.

Have never experienced anything like this with any other camera ... struggling to figure out what could have possibly happened & not sure where to begin.
02-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

A bit off topic....
did you guys see the new pentax I-10 ?
Optio I-10 White - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

A brilliant tribute to the Auto 110 !!!
if it only had a optical VF!
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #22
Banned

I pre-orderd the white one.

neat stuff

02-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Are the negatives 100% blank? no side marks, nothing?????
I would not rule out a screw up in developing

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
Just got my 1st two test rolls back - & both were completely blank!!

The lab said one was underexposed & the other overexposed. Bizarre, as both rolls were 400 speed film, I "cut the tab" on both of them so the camera would supposedly read as 400 asa. One roll was early 90's & the other had an expiration of 2009 so I can't imagine it was the film. I shot poorly-stored 110 film from the 80's film on a Minolta - images were tweaked but there was something there.

Trying to figure out what could have gone wrong. The camera seemed to be working fine - I could see shutter tripping when I would open the back, even installed a fresh set of batteries to be safe. All images were shot during the day, outdoors. Sunny/partly cloudy. There is not even a hint on an image on a single frame. Completely blank film. As if a lens cap was still on or something.

Have never experienced anything like this with any other camera ... struggling to figure out what could have possibly happened & not sure where to begin.
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter

If both rolls were completely blank with nothing on them, how could one be underexposed and one over exposed? I would expect one to be clear and the other very dark.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I pre-orderd the white one.

neat stuff
I fought of the urge.
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If both rolls were completely blank with nothing on them, how could one be underexposed and one over exposed? I would expect one to be clear and the other very dark.

I fought of the urge.
I tried. failed. too cool to pass up. still not sure about the white, but that was the recommendation of a lady =)
02-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just overpaid for an auto110. but I won't rant and rave too much here. Anyway, you should be able to see a yellow(low -shutter speed < 1/30 requires tripod) or green(shutter speed at min.=/> 1/30) LED exposure light in the lower right of the viewfinder when pressing the shutter release. i can't help you on the motor drive.
02-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'd love to see some shots taken with this.
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Are the negatives 100% blank? no side marks, nothing?????
I would not rule out a screw up in developing
The "between frame" lines are there with the frame numbers. One roll has that reddish/orange look of regular negs, but absolutely solid color in the frames - no hint of detail.

Other roll has the frame numbers too, but the frames themselves are a greenish color. Completely solid as well.

Had it all processed by Dwayne's Photo in Kansas - would be very surprised if those guys screwed up this bad.
02-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is the case - I should have been more clear.

There is a complete absence of any detail in the shots. All frames are solid color. One is "orangeish" like a typical negative, the other roll is greenish. (Assuming the orangeish neg is the one they considered over & the greenish roll under.)

I shot an extremely old roll of 110 film a few years ago for a project & the old film had this same green cast to it, but there still was an image there - although quite tweaked.

Neither roll has a hint of any image - just solid color in the frames.
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
I just overpaid for an auto110. but I won't rant and rave too much here. Anyway, you should be able to see a yellow(low -shutter speed < 1/30 requires tripod) or green(shutter speed at min.=/> 1/30) LED exposure light in the lower right of the viewfinder when pressing the shutter release. i can't help you on the motor drive.
I was able to see that light ... although not much as I was shooting in full sun or partly cloudy conditions. Plenty of light for the most part so am a bit baffled as to what could have happened with this film.