Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Getting "inside" the K2 viewfinder?

O.K., you "veteran" PentaxForum people, please "bear with me" on this one (I'm in a DEEP swamp here!)...

I've noticed a lot of talk about viewfinders, BUT where are the PICTURES? (How difficult could THAT be?) Uh, well, difficult ENOUGH! Especially when you're "optically handicapped"!!

"Armed" only with a Fuji Z5fd "pocket" digital (the ONLY camera I have with a front lens element LESS than one half inch in diameter) I proceeded to attempt the "nearly impossible"... get the (Z5fd) camera lens to "act like the human eye" (i.e. "close and small" in respect to the Pentax K2 viewfinder eyepiece). I needed to "see" ALL of the viewfinder image area AND the meter/shutter speed display with "crystal clarity" (DREAM ON!!).

This was just a crude "initial" attempt (the folded zoom optical system was "operating" WIDE OPEN at F3.5) with probably the "ultimate" in "optical aggravation"!!

My questions are: how would YOU do it OR would you do it (or HAVE you done it)??

...Normpixel...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix Z5fd  Photo 

Last edited by Normpixel; 01-15-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: punctuation
01-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Xactly in same way you did it
just crop a little bit afterwrds
Pentax KX_Viewfinder by
01-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Dom

Looks like you've done it quite well. I'm off to see if I can get anywhere with my macro rig.
01-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the needle metering system is awesome. they should have kept it for the M series cameras.

01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! Now if you could attach a sound file of the K2 shutter releasing we would be even more impresed!!

Thanks, Phil.
01-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to ALL for a great response!
And thanks titrisol for the image, the "confirmation" that I "was on the right track", AND the tip about cropping (I deliberately DIDN'T crop mine this time in order to show ALL of what the digital was seeing)... then I failed to mention that it was working at an (equiv.) 35mm focal length; I was getting better "eye relief" and less distortion (also wider aperture) when at "35mm equiv." than when "zoomed in a bit"... I need to get my alignment better AND get MUCH more light "pumped in" to "force" the digital camera to stop down its aperture. (therefore hopefully improve SHARPNESS!)
YOUR image (shutter display and all) is SHARP! BTW, I've always liked the "optical" aperture display window like the KX has and wondered why the K2 DOESN'T have it!
K7 owners: will we "see and hear" an HD video clip of the K2 shutter operating (any time soon)??
Thanks again, ...Normpixel...

Last edited by Normpixel; 01-15-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: grammar!
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Normpixel Quote
I've always liked the "optical" aperture display window like the KX has and wondered why the K2 DOESN'T have it!
FWIW the improved K2DMD has the aperture display in the finder.

Chris

01-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW the improved K2DMD has the aperture display in the finder.

Chris
Making it approximately equivalent to the Ricoh XR-2s. (Ok, Ok, I know...The Ricoh does not have a full-on motor drive. It only supports a power winder. But, looking in the viewfinder, and comparing features...)

Steve

(Could not resist...)
01-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric repaired my XR-2s. He said it's not made as well as a Pentax. I tossed it the next time it broke.

Chris
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks, ChrisPlatt! The K2DMD is one of the few Pentaxes that I've never seen OR heard... Where have I been? A combat zone... asleep... too far into the woods?? I've never even checked to see how many K2DMD cameras were made (produced) if anybody knows!
...Normpixel...
01-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Normpixel Quote
Thanks, ChrisPlatt! The K2DMD is one of the few Pentaxes that I've never seen OR heard... Where have I been? A combat zone... asleep... too far into the woods?? I've never even checked to see how many K2DMD cameras were made (produced) if anybody knows!
...Normpixel...
K2DMD on B.Dimitrov

K2DMD Review in PentaxForums Camera Reviews

In addition to all the K2 features the K2DMD adds a concentric Split-image/micro-prism collar focusing screen, an aperture indicator in viewfinder through a Judas window (like the KX), Exposure Compensation indicator in Viewfinder (orange LED), Exposure Lock, external motor drive linkage, internal Viewfinder blinds and a data back (K2 Data Motor Drive).

I ahve no idea how many were made over its production run - 1976-1980

Last edited by monochrome; 01-17-2010 at 07:31 AM.
01-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Eric repaired my XR-2s. He said it's not made as well as a Pentax. I tossed it the next time it broke.

Chris
I knew you would say that

I figure the K2DMD should be better made. The original price was a lot more as is the current price. I have yet to have any problems with my XR-2s and will likely replace it with another (~ $35) when it eventually breaks.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you don't have to put out the big bucks to get a camera with a feature set or viewfinder similar to the K2 or KX. Now that I have said that, I will air my biggest grip with the XR-2s. Manual metering requires that the shutter be held partially depressed for the meter to remain active. My KX meter stays on until turned off. Much easier to use, at least in manual mode.

BTW...I am curious...How did you break your Ricoh? They have the reputation for being pretty sturdy. Film transport?

Steve
01-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ricoh XR-2s (aka Sears KS auto) and Ricoh XR-1s (aka Sears KS1000) are very nice cameras to use.
Minor problems I had with mine were self-timer levers that snapped off and focusing screens that discolored (turned greenish).

My XR-2s had a wonky meter switch when I purchased it used.
Eric fixed that and CLA'ed it. It worked fine for about a year or two.
When the shutter went I decided not to put any more money into it.
I can't recall what failed on the XR-1s.

Chris
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any figures, but judging by its scarcity on the used market the K2DMD was not produced in large numbers.
The K2DMD was introduced in 1976 and was quickly followed by the MX, which Pentax aggressively promoted as their compact
professional camera body (in direct competition with the popular Olympus OM cameras), until the introduction of the LX in 1980.

Chris
01-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...Minor problems I had with mine were self-timer levers that snapped off and focusing screens that discolored (turned greenish)...
Ha! Ha! I have yet to see one where the self-timer lever was NOT snapped off! I would like to get that fixed on mine, however. The self-timer provides MLU. My focus screen is not green...yet...though it is not nearly as bright as the one on the XR7.

Steve