Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
What I wonder, is if that camera will suck batteries while sitting idle. It seems a pretty ideal backup, but would need to be reliable just on standby.

I'll let you know. FWIW, my Nikon N90s kills batteries...

02-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Wow ... that's facinating. How do you know this?
Not surprising, really. Since the mid-1960's nearly all major SLR brands sold models that used shutter units manufactured by Copal.

Chris
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not surprising, really. Since the mid-1960's nearly all major SLR brands sold models that used shutter units manufactured by Copal.

Chris
With Seiko in the mix since about 1979.

Steve
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #19

First did a trade + cash at a camera show for a slightly used PZ1p many years ago. Liked it so much that I then purchased a new one, which is still with me (in mint condition). This is without a doubt my favorite film Pentax in terms of overall speed & handling.

02-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Forum Member

I have a Z1-P (european version of PZ-1P) and like it a lot. 1/8000 top shutter speed, great metering, very, very fast AF and built like a tank. Mine stoped working after a salt water bath... nothing 2 days in destiled water didn't work!
02-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hertizel Quote
I have a Z1-P (european version of PZ-1P) and like it a lot. 1/8000 top shutter speed, great metering, very, very fast AF and built like a tank. Mine stoped working after a salt water bath... nothing 2 days in destiled water didn't work!
If I'm reading it right, you got it working after 2 days of MORE water?!?!
02-11-2010, 02:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
If I'm reading it right, you got it working after 2 days of MORE water?!?!
Destilled water will not do much damage. Quite to the contrary, it is the only remedy against salt water. The salts are the dangerous part, as they corrode the camera insides and lead to short circuits which will accelerate corrosion (destilled water is a bad electrical conductor, wheras salt water is a very good conductor). WIsdom in film days was, that a camera plunged into sea water should be rinsed immediately in fresh water, if it should get a chance of repair.

Ben

02-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Destilled water will not do much damage. Quite to the contrary, it is the only remedy against salt water. The salts are the dangerous part, as they corrode the camera insides and lead to short circuits which will accelerate corrosion (destilled water is a bad electrical conductor, wheras salt water is a very good conductor). WIsdom in film days was, that a camera plunged into sea water should be rinsed immediately in fresh water, if it should get a chance of repair.

Ben
Yep, that's it. 2 days in destiled water to take all the salt off the circuits, 1 week or so drying, a LOT of lubrification in the shutter and all the dials, bingo. I couldn't believe it turned on after I put the battery! And I've since used some film with it and the results are perfect. That's one hell of a camera if you ask me.
02-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Then that's not a tank, that's a freaking dreadnought.

I baby my stuff... If I dropped my PZ-1p in water, I'd probably have a heart attack. If it was my K7, my head would explode.
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Then that's not a tank, that's a freaking dreadnought.

I baby my stuff... If I dropped my PZ-1p in water, I'd probably have a heart attack. If it was my K7, my head would explode.
Ok - then keep some distance to passers-by. Exploding heads are dangerous.

Ben
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Ok - then keep some distance to passers-by. Exploding heads are dangerous.

Ben
Yes, the shrapnel alone would be quite deadly.

In all seriousness, now I know what to do when I drop my camera in water. Dunk it in distilled water, and then take it to a repairshop.

Quick question, however: How often did you change the water that you put the camera in?
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes, the shrapnel alone would be quite deadly.

In all seriousness, now I know what to do when I drop my camera in water. Dunk it in distilled water, and then take it to a repairshop.

Quick question, however: How often did you change the water that you put the camera in?
One important step: remove any battery at once! The electric current will massively increase and accelarate corrosion.

Ben
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #28
Forum Member

Yep, the battery removal IMMEDIATELY is very important. Not only it accelarates corrosion (my cell phone had green contacts 10 minutes after the "bath"), but it can short circuit the camera to the point that a rapair is just not possible.

As for the destiled water, it depends on the "bath" it took. In my case I was hit by a giant wave holdind the camera, and the camera went dead immediately. I took the battery out, and when I got home, dunk it for 2 days in destiled water (5 liter), a salt layer formed on the surface, and I didn't change the water. If the camera had been submerged in salt water, I'd probably dunk it in destiled water longer and would have changed the water in the process.

I didn't really expect it to work, but what more could I do? Take it to the repair guy would probably be more expensive then to buy a new second hand Z1-P, so I took a chance and it worked. Great!
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I once got a Canon lens, a nice little tele into my hands. A friend had it with her on a boat trip and the camera bag was showered with salt water. Everything got away unharmend except this one lens. Within 10 days of the salt water intrusion into the lens the aperture blades where completely corroded, rearly "eaten away" by the salt water. I could repair the lens, as the rest of it was quite fine, but it was expensive to get the iris replacement parts from Canon.

Ben
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #30
Forum Member

A friend of mine was shooting a fashion photo shoot where he had to stand in the ocean with his Mamiya RZ67 camera and tripod in order to get the views. Each night, he gave the tripod a bath in the hotel tub. I have the tripod and camera today, and he apparently knew what he was doing. There was no film lab, so he shot the whole thing at a gazillion dollars' expense for models, travel, hotel, and simply had to assume that everything worked out fine until he got home. It did, but it was early in his career and not as old hat as it became later. Good thing it wasn't me. The results might well have been very different. "Oh, I musta forgot to reset the ISO dial after that first session, didn't I? Boy, that slide film is pretty picky, isn't it? Can you see anything at all on any of these?"