Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which one would be your "go to" film camera from the following?

In an attempt to satisfy my LBA (for my K200D) I have picked up a number of Pentax film bodies. I've decided to shoot film again (mostly B&W) and am setting up an "old school" darkroom to do my own B&W processing again (after a couple of decades).

I've decided to sell most of my film bodies and settle on one or two. (I've got M42 and K-mount lenses. The only AF lens I plan on keeping is the F 17-28mm fisheye zoom (because I really like it on my K200D).

Which one (or two) would you keep and why.

M42
- - -
SP 500
SP II
Chinon CE-3 (with winder)

K
- - -
K1000
ME-Super
MX (with winder)

K AF
- - -
Z-1p

01-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Z-1p is a top of the line AF film camera. If you sell it you'll miss it. Out of the regular K mounts, ME Super is very well liked, and so is the MX which is a more professional camera. Keep the MX if you prefer a mechanical camera, presuming it's in excellent shape. Apparently these can be hard to get fixed now. Then I don't know anything about the Chinon, but SP II over SP 500 definitely. I would keep a separate body for M42 lenses, so that would make it three cameras.
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

I would keep the Chinon, but I am a sucker for them. I own about 8-10 of them, lol. CE3, CE4, CE5, DP-5, DP5s, and forget the others off hand, lol. Of course winders for the CE4 & 5 and both DPs.
01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, the Chinon is intriguing with it's sophisticated (for its time) "automatic stop down metering" giving it essentially aperture AE priority. I own a couple of Pentax M42 to K mount adapters, so I really don't NEED to keep an M42 body, but I doubt that the Chinon would bring that much, so it might be the best bet to keep (of the screwmount bodies). I like the no-electronics of the MX and frankly I don't know how to use all fo the sophisticated settings of the Z-1p, but given the fact that it was the flagship "pro" model for so many years... perhaps I should LEARN!

01-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Definately keep the Z-1p. With the same interface as your K200D, and all the features you could ever want, it still works manually with all your old glass. My thought is that if you want to go down to 1 or 2 film bodies, and you have one that runs the whole gammut, that's the one to keep. The older bodies won't do the new stuff, but the new body will do the old stuff.
01-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Again, I would keep an M42 body. I've said this before on this forum and not everyone agrees, but those lenses have a better feel and are easier to use on M42 bodies.
01-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tough position to be in... since I'll be trimming my herd soon I think you should keep
M42 - SPII
(The chinon usually sells for peanuts so selling it may not make any sense)

K
Keep the MX and the Z1, both are wonderful and have their place.
01-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

And if you sell the K1000 you will regret it...

Chris

01-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 what they said

Keep SPII, K1000, & Z-1p.
01-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd sell them all & start from scratch

More seriously - what's the condition and so on, keep the ones that are in best shape internally... and sell the ones that would bring the biggest money. If you mean to do this, might as well gain something.

Keep whichever is your favorite M42. Keep the MX, maybe. Stay mechanical for the day when elecricity and batteries disappear... oh wait that means the internet too.

It is good to keep a M42 body because that's the native form for screw mount lenses.
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I like having a straight M42 body for my M42 lenses.

Ditto for a fully mechanical K-mount body.

As for which cameras YOU should keep...Why don't you give each of them a try? Get a bunch of cheap B&W film and shoot with each body. The cream should float to the top. My guess is that you will keep:
  • SP II
  • MX
  • ME-Super
  • Z-1p
Steve

(After all...they were cheap to acquire!)
01-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd keep the ME Super. I have trouble understanding why somebody would keep a K1000 over one of these. Then choose one of the other film bodies because you may want different film loaded for different situations.

Keep the Z-1P if you like the AF bodies... If you don't, sell it as it's currently still in demand.
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should have know that the concensus here would be to keep them all.

I was out of 35mm photography for a long while and really didn't keep up with camera developments in the autofocus/pre-digital era. I'm impressed with what I'm finding out about the Z-1p. I think it would be worth it just to keep my FA 17-28mm fisheye zoom parked on it. It seems to have controls very similar to my K200D (as someone said) what with the hyper manual and hyper AV. Very cool!

I also like the idea of the all manual MX. Taking solar eclipse photos with my AE-1 on a tripod in the winter taught me the value of a camera that can fire a shutter without a battery. (It was so cold that when I went back out for 2nd shot it wouldn't fire). That was the main reason I got an OM-1 back then. The MX seems pretty similar, and has a winder for those few times I need to shoot some action.

I don't see a lot of harm to keeping a screwmount body, either.
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter

If you are really paring back, I would keep:

MX (+M42 adapter)
Z-1p.

I personally have kept Spotmatics to use with the M42 glass; but I actually often prefer to use those lenses on my ME. The resulting combination is much smaller and lighter than the full-size M42 bodies, and the viewfinder is bigger and brighter. I suspect the MX experience is similar.
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll throw my two cents into the pot...of my film bodies (SPII, K1000, ZX-5n, and ME Super), the ME Super is the go-to body. Just like the ergonomics, size, meter and VIEW FINDER - I look through it and feel like I'm going to fall in.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. I was given this camera in my twenties <forty erm five now>. Didn't care for it (or photography) much then. Now I wouldn't give it up for anything.