Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #1

K2 Stuck Mirror Issue

I purchased a K2 at a yard sale in Wellfleet, MA (mostly because it has a giant, awesome-looking telephoto on it), and it's got this irritating problem: the mirror sticks in the closed position after depressing the shutter release button, blocking the viewfinder and preventing any subsequent shots. When taking the lens off, I can manually pull the mirror down into position via a small metal tab on the left-hand side, but it just "sticks" again the next time the shutter is depressed.

1. I found a link to an SM for this camera, but it was terrible quality and unusable. Does anyone know of/have a better SM or exploded view image so I can get the mirror box out and lube it?
2. I think (based on my learning this afternoon at Google University) that this is a common problem. Does anyone know someone who can fix it for me for less than the cost of the federal deficit?

Thanks for your input and suggestion.

02-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been on the Cape. And with a long lens like that, probably on the marshes. I'd suspect sticky mirror foam first. Then lube.

We know a really good and reasonably-priced service guy here, you know, with all the stuff. Might be worth your while to have him CLA that ol' gal.
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by winstonthorne Quote
I purchased a K2 at a yard sale in Wellfleet, MA (mostly because it has a giant, awesome-looking telephoto on it), and it's got this irritating problem: the mirror sticks in the closed position after depressing the shutter release button, blocking the viewfinder and preventing any subsequent shots. When taking the lens off, I can manually pull the mirror down into position via a small metal tab on the left-hand side, but it just "sticks" again the next time the shutter is depressed.

1. I found a link to an SM for this camera, but it was terrible quality and unusable. Does anyone know of/have a better SM or exploded view image so I can get the mirror box out and lube it?
2. I think (based on my learning this afternoon at Google University) that this is a common problem. Does anyone know someone who can fix it for me for less than the cost of the federal deficit?

Thanks for your input and suggestion.
I would also suggest a CLA by Eric, as the camera has most likely never been serviced.

Have you tried moving the ASA ring, it can also be a problem and get stuck.

A good CLA will also fix this issue and adjust the meter.

It’s a great camera and you will enjoy it, but only after it is working as designed!!

Phil.
02-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would also suggest a CLA by Eric,
+1

02-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The K2 has mirror lockup, often used with long telephotos. Make sure this feature is not enabled.
You can find a free .PDF copy of the manual here: Pentax USA website

Chris
The mirror lock is not engaged - actually, when the feature is enabled, the mirror sits flush up against the top of the box; when the mirror lock is off it "floats" about 3mm lower and wiggles around. Definitely something rotten in the state of Denmark.

The floating issue also leans me away from sticky foam...bah. It's a sweet-looking camera. I hope I can get it fixed!
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by winstonthorne Quote
The mirror lock is not engaged - actually, when the feature is enabled, the mirror sits flush up against the top of the box; when the mirror lock is off it "floats" about 3mm lower and wiggles around. Definitely something rotten in the state of Denmark.

The floating issue also leans me away from sticky foam...bah. It's a sweet-looking camera. I hope I can get it fixed!
Eric Hendrickson (referenced above) has CLA'ed my K2 and K2DMD. Both work as new. Recommended.

Visit his website for pricing and policies.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-04-2010 at 10:43 PM.