Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Light meters -- what's good, cheap, simple and easy to get?

Hah, I guess nothing would satisfy all of those requirements! I'm looking for a second light meter for my new not-quite-a-folder Braun Gloria. Recommend something that's reliable and cheap!

I have a Gossen Lunapro F for my Mamiya 645 Super (which spends its time at my dad's place, which is why I need a second). I'm having a bit of trouble with that one. I swear it underexposes severely in inside lighting at least. However, the only calibration guide I can find for it is that the needle should rest on a green mark when it's not in use, which it does. Am I just using it wrong?

02-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Hah, I guess nothing would satisfy all of those requirements! I'm looking for a second light meter for my new not-quite-a-folder Braun Gloria. Recommend something that's reliable and cheap!
"Cheap" is always a debateble thing. Some suggestions:
Gossen Digisix
Polaris Digital light meter
Sekonic L-208 Twinmaster
Sekonic L-398 (the latest version of the classic modell)
Sekonic L-308B II (digital)

TZhere are also some cheap modells branded by Vivitar or Soligor, which are nevertheless fine.

I have a Gossen Lunapro F for my Mamiya 645 Super (which spends its time at my dad's place, which is why I need a second). I'm having a bit of trouble with that one. I swear it underexposes severely in inside lighting at least. However, the only calibration guide I can find for it is that the needle should rest on a green mark when it's not in use, which it does. Am I just using it wrong?
Perhaps you are using it wrong. How can we know? To uise a light meter needs some practice and knowledge, otherwise you'll get wrong readings. Is the underexposure there for incident or reflected light readings? I think, the easist way to confirm a fault, would be, to take some reflective readings off a grey card under different illumination and see, whether these lead to correct exposure or not. If these are off, I would send it in for a repair, it is a good meter.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 02-09-2010 at 08:51 AM.
02-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #3

Gossen Lunasix 3
02-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sekonic L-308S.

02-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sekonic L-208 looks nice. Gossen Digisix too. I would prefer to get a used one (that works...) Just because of the price. Maybe I'll get a cheaper Vivitar. I've been making too many purchases...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys! I have to look closer at the Lunapro to make sure I'm using it right.
02-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With older meters, check the battery type before committing - as many use mercury batteries.

There's a series of Gossen Luna Lux (I have the SBC) that are large, sensitive, and take a standard 9v battery (the kind you put in a smoke detector).

I've ended up with some selenium meters - a Gossen Pilot and a GE PR-1 from the 50s - that work well in good light, but as soon as it gets dim they get sluggish.

I had one of the Vivitars, it worked great but as it was my 4th meter I gave it away to someone needing it.
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Lunapro takes a 9V so the problem is certainly not there. I'd want one that takes a proper battery (I'm so tired of dealing with obscure batteries) and won't get one that doesn't need a battery, since there's a good chance they're dead or inaccurate by now. If a Vivitar was good enough for you, I'm sure one would be good enough for me too!

02-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #8

If you're looking for an incident meter, I recommend Sekonic L-398 photo deluxe (any version of it, do a quick search online). It's cheap (~$50 locally on craigslist), reliable, and doesn't need battery for operation.
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Sekonic L-308S.
not "super cheap" ~ $180. but being digital is a lot faster to use than most. has an EV display (useful for ev-linked rolleis and hasselblad c lenses) as well as F-stop and Shutter speed in Tv priority. also has many flash functions that i have no idea how to use. uses a single AA battery which can always be replaced.
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Sekonic L-308S.
+2

Used for $100.00. Doubles as a flash meter. Worth every penny.

woof!
02-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

At the risk of feeling the flames, I'm tempted to say a digital SLR.

However, in the pure film days, I had good luck with the inexpensive Sekonics, which I still own and use.
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure, if you can sell me one that fits in my palm and costs about 50€.
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sure, if you can sell me one that fits in my palm and costs about 50€.
The palm part would be tough. The cost for some of these meters and a used DSLR might not be far off.
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a Weston Master 715 from 1939. Apparently ansel Adams had one of these and the quality shows... took me a little while to figure it out as it's an uncoupled meter & exposure calculator but it's within a stop of my dSLR so I can't complain!
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
I have a Weston Master 715 from 1939. Apparently ansel Adams had one of these and the quality shows... took me a little while to figure it out as it's an uncoupled meter & exposure calculator but it's within a stop of my dSLR so I can't complain!
You are lucky, most of the old selenium cell meters have deterioted beyond usefullness. But you could still get replacements by a company in the UK, that services the old Weston Masters....

Ben