Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10d for MZ-S

Lately I have been going more toward film and hardly ever pic up my K10 except for some flash stuff. So I'm thinking of selling my K10 for an MZ-S. Is this crazy?

Swift1

02-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Swift, I don't know if you're crazy, but I understand the temptation <g>. Upshot is, I would suggest keeping your options open; i.e. if you don't need the money for the MZ-S, keep the K10D. "...hardly ever pic up my K10 except for some flash stuff". If you sell, the next time you go to do that "flash stuff" you'll be SOL. Or if you find yourself needing a quality pic in a hurry, you'll miss the K10.

Since it's ultimately about the glass, what's the MZ-S going to do for you that you can't already do (except scratch that wicked CBA itch)?

Happy head scratching.

Best,
Kevin
02-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
How about a film body that does 90% of what MS-Z does but cost a lot less? MZ-3/5/5n/7 or PZ-1/1p? That way you can probably keep the K10D as well.
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think SquintyEyes' line of thought is worth pursuing, what would an MZ-S do for you that one of the mid level MZ or high end PZ bodies wouldn't?

02-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Over night I think I have gone away from the idea of selling my K10, I would miss it way too much.
I have and MZ-L which I really like. It is a great little camera. My reasons for wanting the MZ-S,
A) it's cool as heck. That's the CBA part.
B) Grip with Vertical shutter release. Even with the grip on it almost lighter than a K10. With the grip I think it would have much better handling for larger lenses, i.e. Tamron 28-75.
C) Data printing. Would be an awesome feature to have.

I think I will try and sell of some other less needed stuff.

Thanks for the great answers.

Swift1
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd hate to take a shot I really liked and see a date burned onto it :/
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I'd hate to take a shot I really liked and see a date burned onto it :/
Can you not have data imprinting without date imprinting with the MZ-S? I was referring to the "Analog Exif Data" that get printed between the sprocket holes.
I wouldn't want a date printed on any photo I liked either.

Swft1

02-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Yes, you can have exposure data imprinted between the sprocket holes and no data imprinting in the photo.

I have Z1-P and MZ-S. They are very different cameras, both in handling and in size. I don't know wich I like most, but probably MZ-S. Z1-P has faster AF, but MZ-S has 6 AF spots. Z1-P is plastic over aluminium chassis, MZ-S is magnesium alloy. Z1-P has two control weels, MZ-S only one (you control the apperture on the lens). Z-1P is larger and heavier.

In the end, it's a question of personal feel. I use both!
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ooo, is that how my ZX-7 operates too? That would be interesting.
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that the MZ-S and the 645n/645nII are the only pentax cameras that print exif data on the film.

Swift1
02-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well dangit.
02-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

if you're interested in the MZ-S please read my remarks that are in the Camera Review section

it is a good looking and functional body. all the features are well thought out on the body and easy to use. the build quality is much better than the MZ-everything else series and you don't have to worry about broken motor gears or stuck mirrors as much. i would highly recommend one if you are committed to film and have many F and FA lenses to use on the camera. i believe that it is the best camera to use with the FA Limiteds.
02-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if you're interested in the MZ-S please read my remarks that are in the Camera Review section
I have read your excellent comparison a number of times. Its' definitely not helping the CBA

Swift1
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I made this exact move, but ended up keeping my K10D. I've only shot it a handful of times in the last 6 months or so, but I wasn't gonna get much money for it anyway. I really like the MZ-S, it's really compact and ergonomic and the AF seems as fast if not faster than the K10D. The data imprinting is really handy for contact sheets. It's one of my favorite features about the camera, but I've always wondered why it can't do aperture data with A or M lenses.

There will always be new digital bodies to replace the K10D, but good film bodies are only gonna get harder to find IMHO.
02-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SquintyEyes Quote
How about a film body that does 90% of what MS-Z does but cost a lot less? MZ-3/5/5n/7 or PZ-1/1p? That way you can probably keep the K10D as well.
This is exactly what I did. I ended up getting an MZ-3 but the PZ-1p was a close 2nd.