Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips, I am still trying to decide on what I wanna do.

07-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know what I have found to be a fun and cheap adjunct to (d)SLR photography?

Old 35mm rangefinders. You can pick them up for a song. They're easy to tote around. Many have bright lenses (My Yashica Electro 35s have 45mm f1.7 lenses). They're fun to use, and they're great conversation pieces. When I'm out just walking around taking photos, I don't even haul my dSLR stuff around with me; just hang a rangefinder off a Hakuba wrist strap that screws into the tripod mount. I have about a half dozen of these cameras sitting by my front door and it's fun to take different ones out and play around with them.

Also having a lot of fun playing with medium format using vintage TLR cameras. So far I have two from the early 1950s: an Aires-reflex YII and a Yashicaflex A2. Each of them set me back not more than about twenty bucks. Still waiting for the first roll from the Yashicaflex, but the Aires turns out some respectable images, despite being beat all to hell, having lost most of its leatherette, having a busted film auto-stop, and needing a squirt of lighter fluid on the cocking mechanism each time I take it out to shoot.

I also have an early 50s Wester Autorol folding medium format camera (the kind where the lens pops out on the end of a bellows). Despite being half a century old, it looks almost like it just came out of the box, has no light leaks in the bellows, and takes what I consider to be very good shots. Cost me around sixty bucks on an auction. The thing will actually fit in the front pocket of my pants.

Wester Autorol, Fujichrome Velvia 50

Wester Autorol, Fujichrome Velvia 50, post-processed in GIMP to b/w

Aires-Reflex YII, Fuji something-r-other 400, post-processed to b/w

While the SLR is a wonderful photographic implement, there are lots of other devices out there for expanding the way one approaches and enjoys the hobby, craft, and art of photography.
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of commonality of controls etc to the K10, I would go with a PZ-1 or PZ-1p

It was the back up to my *istD, and the only thing I ever got confused at was looking at the back of the camera for the picture preview. (it simply is not there on film!)

I used the PZ-1 for 14 years before I went digital. Great rugged camera, and it had a couple of features that even the new cameras don't, like 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 sync. Even after the digital, I used it for wide angle stuff, because the 18-35mm lens that came with the *istD was a full frame lens, not digital format.