Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'll echo that and add that multiple film bodies are more essential to me than multiple digital bodies because they allow you to carry different films.
That's the way it was done. It also allows having another roll loaded kind of like having an extra back.

03-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll echo that and add that multiple film bodies are more essential to me than multiple digital bodies because they allow you to carry different films.
True, and they also allow me to forget which camera has which film - or any film - in it
03-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
That's the way it was done. It also allows having another roll loaded kind of like having an extra back.
It is also why I appreciated the "M" bodies.
03-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
True, and they also allow me to forget which camera has which film - or any film - in it
I guess we can add that to the list, similar to my "beware of the power of the dark slide" reference.

03-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentastic Quote
I have acquired too many film bodies and want to reduce to 2 or 3. Anyone have opinions on which of these I should keep for a balanced arsenal? All are in excellent condition. I want to use rather than collect. I like to use Takumar lenses and black and white film. Longevity and flexibility are important. (FYI - I have K10d and K-x on digital side.)

K1000, MX, P3n, Program Plus, SF1n, PZ-1, MZ-L, *ist
The MX is nice, with its interchangeable focusing screens. Between the 2 fully-manual cameras, the MX wins over the K1000.

I am not familiar with the SF-1, but it doesn't look all that great. The Pentax PZ-1 has that unbelieveable 1/8000s shutter speed, so I'd hang on to that one over the P3N, SF-1, or the No-Manual-Mode Program Plus.

The *ist I would also keep, because of it's epic cuteness, and also it's multitude of features and decent performance.

MX, *ist, PZ-1. That's my two cents. Though if you decide to get rid of The MX or PZ-1 keep me in mind
03-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The MX is nice, with its interchangeable focusing screens. Between the 2 fully-manual cameras, the MX wins over the K1000.

I am not familiar with the SF-1, but it doesn't look all that great. The Pentax PZ-1 has that unbelieveable 1/8000s shutter speed, so I'd hang on to that one over the P3N, SF-1, or the No-Manual-Mode Program Plus.

The *ist I would also keep, because of it's epic cuteness, and also it's multitude of features and decent performance.

MX, *ist, PZ-1. That's my two cents. Though if you decide to get rid of The MX or PZ-1 keep me in mind
There is a PZ-1 available in the market place right now.
03-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I might be the wrong person to ask because I have way too many of these things but in defense of the MZ-6/ZX-L, it seems to be a little more solid-feeling than the *ist, and has snappier autofocus. *ist is even smaller, offers the extra AF points, and explicit metering-mode selection--but has a crippled mount, while the ZX-L can even do Av with K & M lenses.

In my mind SF and PZ bodies have the downside of larger, more expensive batteries, and don't offer the relatively inexpensive AA grips that are available for the MZ/ZX/*ist.'

P3n & Program Plus are pretty much a toss-up based on your preferences; ML vs exposure comp, manual ISO vs. DX, and viewfinder info. I like the sort of 'LED matched needle' in the P3n vs. the LCD's in the PP but the PP at least indicates f-stop when shooting in P mode (neither body offers Tv). Some like the dial on P3n vs. the buttons on the PP.

03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I might be the wrong person to ask because I have way too many of these things but in defense of the MZ-6/ZX-L, it seems to be a little more solid-feeling than the *ist, and has snappier autofocus. *ist is even smaller, offers the extra AF points, and explicit metering-mode selection--but has a crippled mount, while the ZX-L can even do Av with K & M lenses.

In my mind SF and PZ bodies have the downside of larger, more expensive batteries, and don't offer the relatively inexpensive AA grips that are available for the MZ/ZX/*ist.'

P3n & Program Plus are pretty much a toss-up based on your preferences; ML vs exposure comp, manual ISO vs. DX, and viewfinder info. I like the sort of 'LED matched needle' in the P3n vs. the LCD's in the PP but the PP at least indicates f-stop when shooting in P mode (neither body offers Tv). Some like the dial on P3n vs. the buttons on the PP.
I decided between the MZ-3 and PZ-1p because I couldn't justify the cost of the MZ-S. I went with the MZ-3. The PZ-1 and 1p have 1/8000 shutter speed among other things.
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I decided between the MZ-3 and PZ-1p because I couldn't justify the cost of the MZ-S. I went with the MZ-3. The PZ-1 and 1p have 1/8000 shutter speed among other things.
The MZ-3 always looked attractive on paper, but I never see one for sale.
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #40
Site Supporter

The MZ-3 always looked attractive on paper, but I never see one for sale.
I got mine through KEH. They turn up occasionally in the market place and EvilBay. They weren't marketed in the U.S.
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Lots of different opinions. Some very interesting. I will pick the MX, Program Plus and the *ist. Also they are some of the more expensive of the bunch.

PZ-1 and SF1N are the workhorses and may last more than the others, but since there is some redundant functions I stick with my choice.
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some here have suggested you sell the less popular bodies. You will likely have a hard time selling them and get very little.
If you must to unload some, sell the "keepers", and live within the limitations, real or imagined, of the "ugly ducklings"...

Chris
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some here have suggested you sell the less popular bodies. You will likely have a hard time selling them and get very little.
If you must to unload some, sell the "keepers", and live within the limitations, real or imagined, of the "ugly ducklings"...

Chris
If I could implement this strategy, I wouldn't have X m42 bodies and x k-mount bodies. Hysterical