Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Griptac covering on an ME Super

I recently acquired a new-to-me ME Super, my second one, in a trade involving an MX. I just realized that the ME Super is the perfect camera for how I shoot, and that someone else might make better use of the MX.

The MX had been overhauled by Eric Hendrickson and was working well except for a problem with the flash sync. Eric had worked on it twice. A problem he hadn't encountered before, and he had ideas on what to try next. During this time, I realized that the ME Super was a better camera for me, and Eric and I decided that I would give him the MX in exchange for one of his stock of ME Supers, with a CLA.

I mentioned to him that I was going to be applying Griptac covering from CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette so that he could just leave off any leatherette he removed as part of the overhaul. Being the kind of guy that he is, the camera showed up with all leatherette removed and a completely cleaned surface- no cement, no residue- in pristine shape to apply the new covering.

I decided to remove the self-timer lever for applying the Griptac (not necessary- see the web site) and forgot that it is a reverse thread. Snapped it right off. I emailed Eric about getting a small bolt out and he emailed right back with a great technique- using a needle to walk it out. By then I realized that I actually don't like the self-timer lever- I end up grabbing it with my finger in handling, etc. So I found a plug piece from my bag of parts from another ME Super and used it instead of the lever. I think that is the nut that holds the ASA/exposure comp rings in place....

I love Griptac for this kind of camera. I usually carry it without a strap, just a wrist band as a safety. In my right hand most of the time. Griptac does make it more secure. Cold, sweaty, gloves- turns that little ME Super into a poor man's street Leica of sorts. Here's a photo (the neoprene washers stop rubbing and clanging when I attach a strap with metal hooks). In real life the Griptac looks darker- next to a regular Pentax leatherette, they are about the same value-

I don't know if Eric would want to take on applying new covers, but I wonder if people would like that option when they send it in for him to CLA? He could work out a deal with Morgan at cameraleather and charge on top of materials. You tell him which you want from the cameraleather web site, he gets it and applies it, and you get a camera that is as good as new both inside and out?

Well, just a thought. Sometimes I wonder if he'll stay in business charging what he does, and lots of people need him to keep doing what he is doing. So a new addition that fits right into his service....

Last edited by dandaniel; 02-14-2010 at 07:36 PM.
02-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
Well, just a thought. Sometimes I wonder if he'll stay in business charging what he does, and lots of people need him to keep doing what he is doing. So a new addition that fits right into his service....
Excellent post and quite a nice story. The MESuper looks really nice and I hope the Griptac works well for you.

I recently acquired a black MESuper that is in the box for shipping to Sharps Chapel Tuesday.

Around Christmas I emailed Eric a holiday greeting, and that I wished I could send him an apprentice as my gift (the apprentice idea was originally from a post Ratmagiclady made on the Sightseeing Screwmount thread).

He replied that he is doing just fine as things are and appreciates all of our support.
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Don't worry; Eric doesn't rely on only us for business. He takes repairs from better camera shops, too.
But someday Eric will hang up the old spanner wrenches.
My advice is to send every Pentax you plan to use for the rest of your life to him now!

Chris
02-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #4

Eric is having a deal on CLA's/repairs for certain models until the end of the month. I'm fixing to send him a couple of Spotmatics.
Service, Repair and Refurbish Pentax SLR's - eBay (item 150410129005 end time Mar-02-10 05:21:43 PST)

02-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Don't worry; Eric doesn't rely on only us for business. He takes repairs from better camera shops, too.
But someday Eric will hang up the old spanner wrenches.
My advice is to send every Pentax you plan to use for the rest of your life to him now!

Chris
Why Chris is smarter than we think he is.
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Griptac makes a lot of sense on the M-series cameras -- since they're so small, and lack the contouring Pentax built into their later bodies.

I did the same:

It doesn't stand out visually like the colored skins do, but looks good enough, and the texture makes it easier to handle the camera with confidence.

Hmm, I wonder how it would look in the GRAY griptac.
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
THere's a gray Griptac Olympus on the cameraleather.com site. I don't think I'd want it on one of my cameras.... looks like a prop in a bad Woodie Allen movie.
02-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

THere's a gray Griptac Olympus on the cameraleather.com site. I don't think I'd want it on one of my cameras.... looks like a prop in a bad Woodie Allen movie.
One of my flickr friends just put some gray griptac on an Oly (see it here). Looks quite a bit nicer than on cameraleather's sample photo. I can't believe it's the same color - it looks more like halfway between the black and the medium gray.

02-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

That gray griptac OM-1 looks pretty nice. Much better than the one on the cameraleather Web site.

Steve
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
Maybe you could confirm with your friend that the Olympus has the gray griptac, not the charcoal griptac? I have been confused at time by the names, calling the 'black' charcoal gray, etc.

I ask because the charcoal black can look very much like your friend's camera. Depending on the light, the plastic griptac can take on quite a variety of shades of gray. Here's the same camera above, charcoal black, with different light. Looks very similar to the Olympus of your friend, and nothing like the cameraleather site 'gray' example-
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Maybe you could confirm with your friend that the Olympus has the gray griptac, not the charcoal griptac?...[/IMG]
I just asked him, and his answer ("I thought there was only one gray color available") leaves me more confused. All I know is my black griptac doesn't look like yours, or his. Mine looks black, whatever light I put it under.

On the other hand, maybe it's my own screwy color perception at fault here. I also have an MX covered in cameraleather's "navy" composite skin, and that looks black to me too.

-edit- followup: he says he thinks now it IS the charcoal.
-re-edit- he checked the order, and in fact it's supposedly the medium gray after all. The cameraleather guy needs an account here so he can clear this kind of thing up....

Last edited by Sluggo; 02-24-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: new info
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
I just asked him, and his answer ("I thought there was only one gray color available") leaves me more confused. All I know is my black griptac doesn't look like yours, or his. Mine looks black, whatever light I put it under.

On the other hand, maybe it's my own screwy color perception at fault here. I also have an MX covered in cameraleather's "navy" composite skin, and that looks black to me too.

-edit- followup: he says he thinks now it IS the charcoal.
-re-edit- he checked the order, and in fact it's supposedly the medium gray after all. The cameraleather guy needs an account here so he can clear this kind of thing up....
Their Deep Jade composite looks black except under very strong light. I was hoping it'd be greener.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the camera that had the deep jade on it committed suicide so now I don't have to lament it's lack of greenness.
03-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Their Deep Jade composite looks black except under very strong light. I was hoping it'd be greener.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the camera that had the deep jade on it committed suicide so now I don't have to lament it's lack of greenness.
Truly!? I was going to finish one of my Yashica Lynx in that covering, but was counting on "greenness" similar to their photo. Do you have any pics of your deceased cam?

Steve