Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #1

Final (hopefully!) MZ-6/ZX-L questions

Yeah, hard to believe, but I'm still mulling this. This is a classic case of Internet head dancing (banging?). If I could handle the cameras in question for five minutes, this would be decided already. It's down to the MZ-6/ZX-L and MZ-5n/ZX-5n. Z-1p/PZ-1p are out due to cost considerations. This will be the film body to compliment a K100d or K10D -- also yet to be decided.

Anyway . . .

The MZ-6/ZX-L has electronic rather than mechanical aperture control -- in contrast to the MZ-5n/ZX-5n. One benefit is that it can control the aperture of newer lenses that don't have an aperture ring. However, that seems to include only the "budget" FA-J lenses which I'm not likely to buy as I seem to be very good at ignoring the niceties of a "budget". ;o)

The only other lenses I've found that lack a ring are "D(igital)" and designed for cropped sensor cameras and therefore not capable of covering the 35mm frame so why worry about using them?

So, I have to wonder if there's any real benefit to electronic aperture control. Am I missing something?

One other consideration is that the shutter of the MZ-6/ZX-L is electronically controlled and in manual mode can be set from 30 seconds to 1/4000. In manual mode the MZ-5n/ZX-5n is mechanically settable from 2 seconds to 1/2000.

I would have purchased an MZ-6/ZX-L already but for concerns about the viewfinder. The MZ-5n/ZX-5n has a .80x pentaprism, (which Bojidar describes as "a bit small") so the .70x pentamirror of the MZ-6/ZX-L promises to be even smaller AND dimmer. Of course, without looking through it myself, it's tough to judge if it will work for me. I'll be using a mixture of MF and AF lenses.

I've had opinions of the MZ-6/ZX-L VF ranging from "It's dark and tiny! Are you crazy!" to "It's not that bad; similar to a crop sensor dSLR."

I suppose I could just buy one of each and make my own comparison and sell or return the one that suits me less but I'd like to avoid that aggravation if I can.

Any further wisdom to offer before I take the leap?

TIA (again!)!/Scott

p.s. Apologies for the dupe to those of you who visit here and pnet.

07-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Yeah, hard to believe, but I'm still mulling this. This is a classic case of Internet head dancing (banging?). If I could handle the cameras in question for five minutes, this would be decided already. It's down to the MZ-6/ZX-L and MZ-5n/ZX-5n. Z-1p/PZ-1p are out due to cost considerations. This will be the film body to compliment a K100d or K10D -- also yet to be decided.

Anyway . . .

The MZ-6/ZX-L has electronic rather than mechanical aperture control -- in contrast to the MZ-5n/ZX-5n. One benefit is that it can control the aperture of newer lenses that don't have an aperture ring. However, that seems to include only the "budget" FA-J lenses which I'm not likely to buy as I seem to be very good at ignoring the niceties of a "budget". ;o)

The only other lenses I've found that lack a ring are "D(igital)" and designed for cropped sensor cameras and therefore not capable of covering the 35mm frame so why worry about using them?

So, I have to wonder if there's any real benefit to electronic aperture control. Am I missing something?
No you aren't missing anything. I personally like to control aperture through the body (which I can't do with the MZ-S). But if you know what you are doing it really doesn't matter. Note that "J" and "D" lenses are useable in bodies with mechanical aperture control, but only in Program or Shutter Priority (just like my AE-1!).

QuoteQuote:
One other consideration is that the shutter of the MZ-6/ZX-L is electronically controlled and in manual mode can be set from 30 seconds to 1/4000. In manual mode the MZ-5n/ZX-5n is mechanically settable from 2 seconds to 1/2000.
Wouldn't a cable release make this a non-issue?

QuoteQuote:
I would have purchased an MZ-6/ZX-L already but for concerns about the viewfinder. The MZ-5n/ZX-5n has a .80x pentaprism, (which Bojidar describes as "a bit small") so the .70x pentamirror of the MZ-6/ZX-L promises to be even smaller AND dimmer. Of course, without looking through it myself, it's tough to judge if it will work for me. I'll be using a mixture of MF and AF lenses. I've had opinions of the MZ-6/ZX-L VF ranging from "It's dark and tiny! Are you crazy!" to "It's not that bad; similar to a crop sensor dSLR."

I suppose I could just buy one of each and make my own comparison and sell or return the one that suits me less but I'd like to avoid that aggravation if I can.
We don't know much about your photography style, preferences, budget, etc. so our usefulness to you will be limited. I don't mind the viewfinder of the MZ-6, but that's just me. I suspect it will boil down to ergonomics + your desired feature set. Personally I would go with the camera that feels best in my hands. But YMMV. Buying 2 cameras and then returning 1 isn't really that difficult or expensive; shipping it back costs about the same as developing a roll of film.
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As Mo point out in your other thread, the DA 40mm works on film bodies as long as you can control the aperture through the body controls. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my ZX-30, but there are posts and samples around on the internet that show the DA 40 working on film bodies without vignetting.

Last edited by igowerf; 07-04-2007 at 11:54 AM.
07-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just as an update, I have indeed decided to get a MZ-6/ZX-L.

I've heard from a people who have them, some of whom also have MZ-5n/ZX-5n and the VF differences are there but apparently not as bad as I imagined. That, and the MZ-6/ZX-L have advantages of which I wasn't even aware, e.g., the ability to set the lens ring to 'A' and quickly control the aperture from the camera in any mode thus obviating the need to turn the ring at all.

Thanks!/Scottax1