Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with ME Super

I have had an ME Super for about 10 years or so now. I have been using a point and shoot and the Pentax has been tucked away in camera bag in my closet for about three years. i recently bought a DSLR and it sparked my interest in SLR cameras. I took it out of the closet and loaded some film in it, look through the view finder and there are some black specks in the view finder. I changed lenses and the specks are still there. I did not notice anything on the mirrors. Has anybody else seen this or know what these specks are or how to get rid of them?

02-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are nothing to worry about. They will not appear on the image. They are on the focusing screen, or in the viewfinder.

Even your DSLR will get specs in the viewfinder eventually.
02-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. they are just annoying to look at.
02-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you look through the viewfinder and slowly twist the lens as if you were removing it - the dust that moves is on the lens... everything else is on the mirror or focusing screen. Try not to touch the mirror, even to clean it... but the screen can be lightly rubbed.

02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you.
02-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
If you look through the viewfinder and slowly twist the lens as if you were removing it - the dust that moves is on the lens... everything else is on the mirror or focusing screen. Try not to touch the mirror, even to clean it... but the screen can be lightly rubbed.
Everything in this post is quite simply untrue.

Dust on the lens is not visible as discreet objects except in very specific and very limited circumstances.
In normal conditions, dust on the lens cannot be seen in the viewfinder.

Dust on the mirror will also never be visible in the viewfinder.
The mirror has a metallic coating on it and is not terribly delicate, though the mechanism that holds it in place is.
It can be cleaned, but be careful to not put any pressure on it.
Considering that dust on the screen will not be a problem, it is best to ignore it though.

The screen is very delicate. They are made of extremely soft plastic and can be damaged very easily. You should do nothing more than blow air onto the screen for cleaning, either with a blower bulb or careful use of canned gas (which in the hands of the clumsy can also cause damage).

Dust visible in the viewfinder is always on the focusing screen.
The only exception to this is when you have the lens extended from the camera far enough that the front element is being focused on (a bellows and a short focal length lens may allow this).

As an aside, when I was selling cameras, I saw more cameras come in for repair due to incompetent cleaning than for any other single reason, and the reason for the cleaning being done was always for cosmetic reasons, not practical reasons.
Dust happens, you can live with it, or you can damage your camera worrying about it.
Take your pick, but choose wisely.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-21-2010 at 09:04 AM.
02-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Actually, the ME Super screens seem pretty resiliant (glass?). Ironically, these things seem to have got harder to clean as time has one by. Don't try it on a modern plastic dSLR screen.

Dust on the mirror IS visible in the viewfinder, just as dust on the rear element of the lens is visible. Ok, by the time the ME super rolled around, the mirror was not so delicate, but you can and will damage it if you are not very careful.

I have also seen the affects of bad cleaning, but I've also seen some over-conservative advice in regards to cleaning. Sure, try air first... it's only sensible to try the least invasive method before risking your equipment. But, I'm assuming he tried the air method already. It's all about risk vs reward; if the dust interferes with the enjoyment of the camera, why not try to improve that?