Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SFXn autofocus problem

I just bought a used Pentax SFXn camera. Otherwise it seems to work well, but autofocus works only in one way, from far to near. The motor doesn't seem to rotate in the other direction. I have to switch it to manual focus in order to focus further. When it should focus further with autofocus, it only shows a solid > signal in viewfinder. The lens I am using is the K-x kit lens, DAL 18-55mm. It works well with K-x, so the problem doesn't seem to be there (the imaging sircle is too small when zoomed <24mm, but from that on it fills the frame). Do you have any suggestions what could be wrong with the camera or if it could be fixed easily?

I won't return the camera because it was so cheap and I have many manual focus lenses, but it would be very nice if autofocus worked correctly.

02-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it possible that the camera can't recognize the lens? I've got a SFXn that won't recongize my sigma 70-300 at all for autofocus. It'll meter, but not focus.

Do you have any other autofocus lenses to test with the camera?
02-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's the only lens that I have with autofocus and I don't have any friends with Pentax lenses. It could be possible, that the lens isn't completely recognised, but it would be strange, because the camera shows its aperture correctly and autofocus works well if the subject is closer than the current focus before autofocusing.

According to manual the camera shouldn't show solid > sign when using autofocus at all. In manual focus mode it means that you have to focus further.
02-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, if you've got a camera store in town that's selling older pentax lenses (FA or F lenses), you could bring your SFXn and try them out in store, to see if they'll work properly with the camera.

It's also possible that you bought a dud.