Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Major kudos to Freestyle. I ordered 20 rolls of each of the Legacies on Wednesday, and on Friday it was at my door. I am not exactly around the corner, either. Since my order included some liquid developers that can't be shipped by air, this even came by ground.

So, I've shot my first roll of the Legacy 400, and, bear with me, this is also the first roll I've processed myself since 1989. I used the film to test out a 20 year old Olympus Stylus (whose battery still worked) so this is not a Pentax shot. However, this film was great. Developed in Edwal FG7 70deg 12min 1:16 the density of the negs was perfect. I'm hoping it is just that this old camera may need some cleaning, since there appear to be film transport scratches in the upper right. (I hope it is not that Fuji is using dirty cans for the cheap product). Straight from the scanner with no pp:

Last edited by GeneV; 02-27-2010 at 07:16 PM.
02-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice!
the stylus were incredibly rough and well built.
02-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gene, that is a nice shot (and nice job developing, too - still haven't ventured into that arena myself).

Gene and Titrisol, how does the Stylus compare to the XA? I've been thinking about the XA since I saw Stevebrot's winter shots with it. My local Craigslist has Styluses crop up periodically, but I've yet to see an XA.

Best,
Kevin
02-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

My wife has a mju-zoom (Stylus in the US) that she bought n 93 or 94
It is a basic P&S camera, that works fine, has a great AF and nice lens
the popup flash is excllent, and the red-eye prevention bursts work like a charm
Olympus Olympus History : [mju:] (Stylus) Series

The XA had a lot more user-controlled features; and I believe MF and AE
Olympus Olympus History : XA Capsule Cameras

02-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Gene, that is a nice shot (and nice job developing, too - still haven't ventured into that arena myself).

Gene and Titrisol, how does the Stylus compare to the XA? I've been thinking about the XA since I saw Stevebrot's winter shots with it. My local Craigslist has Styluses crop up periodically, but I've yet to see an XA.

Best,
Kevin
I actually had the zone-focus XA2, rather than the rangefinder XA. Both have nice little 35mm FL lenses. For outdoor shots in bright light at infinity, the XA2 was better than the Stylus. However, get something closer in, or actually need a stop wider than F/8, and the autofocus on the Stylus will leave the XA2 zone focus in the dust. If I recall, the XA2 did not even have a separate shutter and aperture and the flash was separate.
On an emotional level, the XA/XA2 was about the coolest little piece of point and shoot you would ever want to hold in your hand. It was small--smaller than any digital point and shoot I have owned. It was metal. It felt like a serious camera in miniature. I gave it to my mother when I bought the Stylus. The plastic Stylus worked well, but never begged me to take it along in quite the same way.

Ebay has a ton of XAs, as does KEH. I'm tempted, myself. The rangefinder model seems to go for $100-$140, which is not all that cheap for a 20+ year old pocket camera.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-28-2010 at 09:11 AM.
02-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Back to the film, here is another frame from that walk. I really like the LegacyPro 400 a lot. It is hard to see from posted photos, but the grain is fine, and the shape is more appealing to me than T-max. I can't wait to get this into an SLR body.

02-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Best,
Kevin
Just to continue the hijack a little longer...I have owned two Stylus and currently own an XA. The Stylus is a great point and shoot. The XA requires more to use, but gives more in return. Better optics and more flexible.

Steve

(Dang sensitive shutter release however...)

02-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Back to the film, here is another frame from that walk. I really like the LegacyPro 400 a lot. It is hard to see from posted photos, but the grain is fine, and the shape is more appealing to me than T-max. I can't wait to get this into an SLR body.

Looks great! That is one interesting piece of fence construction!

Steve
02-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Gene, Titrisol, and Steve - sorry about the hijack, but many thanks for the info and to Titrisol for the links.

Gene, Legacy 400 is looking good. I hope you'll post a few more shots with this film and again from an SLR when you get round to it. Also from the 100 ASA lot, too - it'll be interesting to see if it's equally as good. You're right about the price; it may just be too good to pass up. With a few more shots from you, I may bite the bullet on a brick myself.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. Nod to Lithos for putting us all onto this.
02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Gene, Legacy 400 is looking good. I hope you'll post a few more shots with this film and again from an SLR when you get round to it. Also from the 100 ASA lot, too - it'll be interesting to see if it's equally as good. You're right about the price; it may just be too good to pass up. With a few more shots from you, I may bite the bullet on a brick myself.
I did actually blow through a roll of the 100 today testing out how more of my DA lenses work on film. The test shots are boring and I was sloppy on my processing, so I'm not proud enough of the shots to post. My biggest find was that my Sigma 17-35 DG EX appears to cover a film frame. I'm shooting another roll of the LegacyPro 400 now using the Sigma as an ultrawide, then I'll get to the 100.

I wish the parts for the LX would come in so that Eric could finish it. I could use another film body about now.
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more 400 and ultimately the 100 shots. Good luck with the LX, too.

Best,
Kevin
03-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Along similar lines, I bought some Walgreens brand ISO 200 color print film today. The box says it was made in Japan, and the film canisters look very familiar. Could this be $3.00 Superia?
03-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

My first shots with LegacyPro 100 and a quality SLR/Lens have hit the scanner. There are a couple more rolls in the can. I posted some at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/942944-post2433.html The slightly cropped scan of one below is not reduced as much, so the fine grain and resolution of this film (and the Pentax FA50/2.8 Macro) can be seen a bit better. Below is a 100% crop to better show grain. This is nice stuff!

03-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

OK, I'm convinced on both the 100 and 400 <g>. Like the three-legged dog on your other post. (At least I hope he has three legs, even though one is not visible). Obviously there's plenty of photographic interest in those irrigation ditches.

Thanks for posting up the Legacy 100 shots.

Best,
Kevin
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yup, by the amount of, for lack of a better term, crispness and "pop" to the images, it's Neopan. Reminds one of freshly pressed and starch linen.

Thanks for the shots, Gene!