Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Fuji Neopan...back in bulk?

[AC/DC]da. da-na-na-na. da-na-na-na.[/AC/DC]

Was browsing around the new and vastly improved Vanbar site when I noticed they are flogging 100ft rolls of "Legacy Pro 100" and "Legacy Pro 400."

My interest piqued, I googled the name, and, lo and behold, a lot of people swear it's Fuji Neopan!

If so, this is very good news. I love Neopan, and I think it's...deep breath...Tri-X in the tone stakes (but not in the versatility stakes, the sheer throw-anything-at-it stakes.) Good news, considering that Fuji stopped making bulk reels in 2005.

Considering Photocontinental stuffed up my Tri-X order, I think I'll get a roll o' Legacy and have a crack.

I also noticed that a few boxes of this were sold in our Marketplace; so, has anyone used Legacy, and, if so, what's it like and is it Neopan?

02-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Yup! The 400 is neopan 400 and the 100 is Acros. Great stuff. IIRC the reels are even stamped with the Fuji logo.
02-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Excellent. Loves me some Neopan.

Of course, the mind boggles as to why they'd sell it more cheaply under a different brand name...is it to get those who don't like Neopan to buy it?

Surely that wouldn't work. After the first roll, they'd just be back to saying, nup, don't like it looks like Neopan.

The mind boggles.

EDIT: Yup, from that RFF link:

Curiouser and curiouser.
02-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not to rain on the parade, because I am very tempted, but could it be that "legacy" is a prior formulation of Neopan?

02-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've not bulk loaded in a while, but I decided a couldn't resist ordering some of those bricks of preloaded film. A buck and a half a roll for 36 exp. is still amazingly cheap.
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
neopan 400 developed in Ilford DDX is all you'll ever want/need in 400 film!
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
neopan 400 developed in Ilford DDX is all you'll ever want/need in 400 film!
Is that what you used for the B&W linked in your gallery?
02-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Not to rain on the parade, because I am very tempted, but could it be that "legacy" is a prior formulation of Neopan?
It could just be some crazy name the company (whichever one is packaging/making this) chose.

According to that RFF link I've posted, Tom Abrahamsson, who's a pretty knowledgeable film buff, says even the edge marking are identical, save for the fact the Fuji has "a discreet 'Fuji'" printed as well.

Here's a link to DigitalTruth.com's online store that gives us the blurb:

QuoteQuote:
Made by one of the premier film manufacturers in the world, LegacyPro® comes in 100 and 400 ISO, ensuring that you’ll have a film for any photo situation. LegacyPro® 100 features unparalleled tight grain and tonality, making it ideal for portrait and fine-art work, while LegacyPro® 400 offers wide flexibility and versatility, putting it squarely at the top of the low-light and action categories.

Manufactured in Japan.
I'm wondering why Fuji would do this.

02-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
It could just be some crazy name the company (whichever one is packaging/making this) chose.

According to that RFF link I've posted, Tom Abrahamsson, who's a pretty knowledgeable film buff, says even the edge marking are identical, save for the fact the Fuji has "a discreet 'Fuji'" printed as well.

Here's a link to DigitalTruth.com's online store that gives us the blurb:

I'm wondering why Fuji would do this.
The Digital Truth blurb is about the same as the Freestyle. However, the lack of the "Fuji" on the edge means they may not be taking the same stock out of the same run and relabeling. Since the feedback from users has been positive, I would say that if they are doing anything different (i.e. q/c, line speed), it is not making a noticeable difference in the finished product.

As to why they would do it, assuming it is exactly the same, the practice of selling a product under a different branding is as old as advertising. Store brands of everything are basically some heavily-advertised company's product minus the brand. The manufacturer gets to pump up volume to keep per unit manufacturing and engineering costs down. The damage to the branding is less than if they simply lowered the price of the name brand. Some manufacturers show a profit or break-even on the off-brand by accounting which does not assign marketing costs to the second label.
02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah, good call.

But now I'm also wondering why Fuji only sells it in canisters and not in bulk, but Arista does.
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Neopan400 used to come in 30m rolls a few years back.

And I do not think I have scanned many pictures from my neopan/DDX times. I used to have them in my website but since I moved to Europe it was taken down and have not had the money/time to put it back up again.

I used it mostly to take pics of my daughter (between months ad 2 y.o.) and those pics are absolutely wonderful. Let me see if I can find a few to post.

Check also in my flickr, but I do not think I have any Fuji/DDX
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Of course, the mind boggles as to why they'd sell it more cheaply under a different brand name...is it to get those who don't like Neopan to buy it?

Surely that wouldn't work. After the first roll, they'd just be back to saying, nup, don't like it looks like Neopan.
I believe they can sell it cheaper because they don't have the usual overhead with bringing a product to market. They don't have to advertise it, distribute it to dealers, print labels, boxes, etc.. They just manufacture it, then hand the rest over to somebody else.
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I believe they can sell it cheaper because they don't have the usual overhead with bringing a product to market. They don't have to advertise it, distribute it to dealers, print labels, boxes, etc.. They just manufacture it, then hand the rest over to somebody else.
Yeah, that is pretty much what I posted. They don't have to assign the marketing costs to the off-brand.
02-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Found one!
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yeah, that is pretty much what I posted. They don't have to assign the marketing costs to the off-brand.
Ha! Whoops! I'm just getting over the flu and probably shouldn't be interacting with the outside world just yet... I glanced right over it.