Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Pål those are amazing!

As I see it there are a couple of problems with doing night shots with the LX in auto, the biggest being that you need to have the thing you want correctly exposed somewhat in the middle. Also when I tried long auto exposures it had a tendency to sometimes burn the photos totally, this using Velvia with it's famously bad reciprocity behaviour and it still managed to go 2 or more stops above what I had calculated to be correct. Don't know if this is some fault that my LX has or if it's general.

Now there are also times that the LX is unbeatable, dusk and dawn photos when the light is changing rapidly really shows why you want of the film metering during the exposure.

I don't use auto exposure for night shots, I usually use largest aperture and get a reading of the thing I want correctly exposed and go from there to the settings I want. If there's very little light I crank the ISO dial up to 3200, most of the time that gets reading. So you don't need a camera like the LX to do night shots, but it's such a nice camera you might as well convince yourself you can't live without it and get one.

03-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That's why I use the old analog Pentax meter instead of a digital spotmeter. The digital meters make you do more in your head. The dial on the analog is easy to turn and just count. No mental gyrations.

Yeah, that would be a good experiments to conduct with Acros. Get that baby fixed and lets see
I like the dial of my cheap, little Sekonic for the same reason. The silver dial even looks like the lens of my baby SpeedGraphic (but that is another forum). It is great to hear that a pro like you thinks the same way.

The LX came back today. Now, for some decent night weather and some time!
03-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #33

fantastic photos indeed.

I've been into astrophotography about 15 years ago (with good old pratika SLR all a manual) and I wish I can find a pentax film SRL so I can use some of my pentax lenses (with some limitations that I'm sure about yet).

I have a 'old' A-50mm 1.7 which will work but I whish I can use my DA 21mm, DA40mm, and why not my signa 10-20.
I think only the 40mm can really give ok results with a full frame.

Can the LX control the aperture of a DA lens?
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Can the LX control the aperture of a DA lens?
No, it can't.

Ben

04-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another one shot with the LX and the A 35/2.8 wide-open on auto....

04-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #36

Now that is just fantastic! Keep posting these wonderful shots.
04-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

If I'm understanding correctly, you can use the LX in automode in night scenes for up to 45 minutes for an accurate exposure?

04-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
If I'm understanding correctly, you can use the LX in automode in night scenes for up to 45 minutes for an accurate exposure?
The max. auto-exposure time depends on the combination of aperture setting, ISO and ofcourse the scene brightness. 45 minutes seem possible to me.

Ben
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
"Accurate exposure" would be film dependent too. Shoot some BW film that the meter says 30 seconds, for example, and you'd be surprised how far off your exposures is.
04-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #40

A friend of mine has an LX and he said its the best camera he has ever tried for exposure fidelity. Because of the reading from the film surface it is suppose to be excellent for long exposures.
04-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #41

exposure is film dependent...coatings are different

I advice to take multiple shots (if it's possible) with 0, +1, +2 on auto.
Because, as Tuco said, It's film dependent. Pan-F or TRI-X p.ex does not the same in reciprocity. You don't know exactly before development which frame will have the more details. Then when you know your film, you know how it reacts and if the reading is right...
Even if it meter the light reflecting from the film nicely, It will be different with different films (colors or the grey and reflectance from surface can be different). I'm I wrong?
04-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mine.cola Quote
I advice to take multiple shots (if it's possible) with 0, +1, +2 on auto.
Because, as Tuco said, It's film dependent. Pan-F or TRI-X p.ex does not the same in reciprocity. You don't know exactly before development which frame will have the more details. Then when you know your film, you know how it reacts and if the reading is right...
Even if it meter the light reflecting from the film nicely, It will be different with different films (colors or the grey and reflectance from surface can be different). I'm I wrong?
You are quite correct. Different films have different reflectivity and thus influence the metering for longer expsoures.

The LX does not meter off the film surface for fast expsoure times down to 1/75s (the sync speed). Only longer times will be metered off the film surface. For the shorter exposure times there is a reflective print on the first shutter curtain, off which the metering is taken. Quite similar to the Olympus OM method, though the Pentax metering pattern looks nicer…

Ben
04-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #43

Thanks Ben,

I forgot it was only for exposure greater than 1/75th (I was thinking to the LX flash possibilities no more). Indeed, shorter speeds will depend on the path of the shutter curtain and thus to the reflectivity of the shutter curtain.

So if you record a long and peaceful exposure and during that time you flash several times (manually), it will meter off the Film and this will depend on the film reflectivity like for a simple long exposure.

Thanks to you It's clear enough for me.
04-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
A friend of mine has an LX and he said its the best camera he has ever tried for exposure fidelity. Because of the reading from the film surface it is suppose to be excellent for long exposures.
So what is the relationship between a film's surface and its reciprocity characteristics that the camera can measure and adjust its time, I wonder.

Would it know, for instance, that this surface is 400TX and a calculated exposure of 100 seconds needs an actual 20 minute exposure?
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #45
Forum Member

The original Olympus OM-2 has a similar specification but reportedly can make autoexposures several times that length.
Interestingly the later "improved" OM-2n has an absolute limit of 2 minutes for autoexposures.

I wonder if the LX exceeds the stated specification in actual use, and if the actual maximum changed over its 20-year production history?

With exposures of this length reciprocity failure becomes a real issue. I'm not certain how one copes.
I wonder if the exposure compensation dial behaves normally at the low extreme of the range?

FWIW I have seen wonderful night photos made with OM-2 and LX cameras.

--

Sounds right.