Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax MG thoughts solicited

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Quiz: What was the lightest "real" M-body package?

Ans: The MG with an SMC-A 50/2.0 at < ~535 grams/~1lb 3oz -- and the M /1.7 only added another 20 grams/< 1 oz.

For me, this was the perfect daylight walk-about package. If I'd had the money to get a pancake-40 it would have quite literally been a pocket camera. Pentax build quality and compact handling and all the functionality I needed short of doing special projects or low-light situations (I never cared much for flash but the shoe was there if needed).

With an M-mode lens it was as simple as it gets -- with hyper-focal distance set and the most likely Sunny-Sixteen aperture pre-selected for DOF control few situations needed more than a tweak of the focus or aperture rings. Exposure compensation? Use the ASA dial. And it used the ME Winder too.

The ME and ME-Super added a bit of functionality but at the price of additional complexity -- I seemed to always have to THINK about what to set with them while I always KNEW what was about to happen with the MG.

I got carried away once and put an SMC-A 1:4 /35~70 on one of the MG's. Should have been a sweet combination, and it worked with an ME-S, but all it did was mess up my simple habit patterns with the MG.

I did sort of miss the larger view finder of the ME's (.85 vs. .92 x-factor) but the lighter weight had to come from some compromise and younger eyes and snappy focusing primes got the job done anyway.

I eventually wore out one black body, sold another one and still have a nearly pristine MG sporting an M 50/1.7 sitting where it's handy should I ever have the urge to burn a roll of film again. I occassionally run "fire drills" with it just to confirm the old habits are still alive.

This was the camera that went out the door with me unless there was a good reason for something more complex. While not the most USEFUL camera, I voted this one "Miss Congeniality".

H2
I just had delivery of an MG which I bought with two other bodies on a whim off Ebay for 30.00' it was sold for spares but apart from needing a replacement viewfinder surround and a loose battery cover it is all working. Will I get away with 2xs LR 44 batteries as I see you mention S76 ?. Ive fitted an eye shield temporarily so that is a practical discuise while I source a replacement. I plan to fit an adaptor and then use it as a second body with B&W film loaded and a Sigma XQ f 1;3.5 39-80 zoom as my prime lens. Do you think this will work as a pairing or am I going to have the same problems you experienced with the 35-70.I really want to use it as a point and shoot as it was intended and use up ddsome outdated film I have . Again any tips I like high contrast images for grainy enlargements. Let me have yoyr thoughts

Last edited by Ole; 03-01-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Post moved over from review database
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post moved over from reviw section.
03-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not get what you want from us.

Batteries: 2x LR44/AG13/S76 is perfect
MG is a nice auto-exposure camera, super light and quite rugged.
My bro had one that he took mountain biking with him for years. He said it was kaput! and asked me to look at it.
Well, the rewind knob/level was broken and the camera had many dings and dongs but other than that it was perfectly functional.