Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW A cooler doesn't make much sense to me. The moisture associated with
any cold or frozen substance inside will surely do no good to your camera gear.
A cooler without any will help very little, as it will soon reach ambient temperature.

True black and white films (not chromogenic) fare much better in the heat.
I read that high heat tolerance is one of the design specs of Tri-X.
Photojournalists have been giving this film the torture test for decades,
and coming home with the goods, so I believe it.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That's what I'd do, or bring along the digital instead
if you bring along a cooler it may not be a bad idea to cool it just a little somehow.
you really don't want to use ice, otherwise you'd have condensation problems
Possibly just a couple of waterbottles, wrapped in a towel.
A few weeks ago, I bought a Spotmatic from a pawn shop. It had film in it, Kodak Vericolor 3. On a whim, I developed it.

The pictures are cloudy, but they're there. It's pictures of a drag race. One of the cars racing is Swamp Rat 30.

Swamp Rat 30 was only raced in the 1986 season.
03-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Ok thanks I was just wondering if I put the film in now would I still be able to take pictures for the next month or 2.
No worries, you sure can!

I have, personally, had two Christmasses on the one roll of film: you couldn't tell any difference.

When my father-in-law passed away, he had an unfinished 4 or 5-year old film (Fuji Superia 400 ISO colour print film) in the camera. The battery was flat though. We put in a new battery, finished off the film and had it developed & printed: no problem!

Last edited by Banjo; 03-18-2010 at 04:28 PM.
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Color's bound to get weird pretty quickly if you've left it in a hot car... It's probably not worth the time to shoot.
I frequently keep a camera with film, as well as spare film (usually Kodak Ultramax 400 ISO, or Fuji Superia 400 ISO, both colour print film), in my car during the day (bring into the house overnights) for two to three days at a time: no problems.

Our climate is such that we often have up to weeks at a time of weather over 35 degs C including several days of up to 47 degs C.

I keep the stuff in the boot, covered with a folded blanket: Seems to work OK for me.

03-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
A few weeks ago, I bought a Spotmatic from a pawn shop. It had film in it, Kodak Vericolor 3.
Ah, Vericolor! Kodak's professional color negative film. Great for portraits.
I was so sad when Kodak discontinued it in the early 00's...

Chris
03-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
A few weeks ago, I bought a Spotmatic from a pawn shop. It had film in it, Kodak Vericolor 3. On a whim, I developed it.

The pictures are cloudy, but they're there. It's pictures of a drag race. One of the cars racing is Swamp Rat 30.

Swamp Rat 30 was only raced in the 1986 season.
Hang on to those photos. Swamp Rat XXX driven by Big Daddy Don Garlits won the 1986 NHRA Championship with a top run that year of 272.55 mph. Compare that to the equipment (computers and such) used today along with speeds today and it was quite an achievement. That car crashed in Seattle ending it's career along with effectively ending the driving career of Big Daddy. Do you know where they were taken? What Track?

CW
03-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Recently my uncle gave me an MZ-50 that contained a half finished roll of film in it. Developed it and the pictures are quite usable, however the colour seems to have gone off a bit, with a greeny tinge. The film was from 2003-2004

Outdoing that, once found my dad's old box brownie, still containing film, which had been sitting for somewhere between 30-40 years. Quality was pretty poor and most were double exposures, but there were some distinguishable images.

03-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Hang on to those photos. Swamp Rat XXX driven by Big Daddy Don Garlits won the 1986 NHRA Championship with a top run that year of 272.55 mph. Compare that to the equipment (computers and such) used today along with speeds today and it was quite an achievement. That car crashed in Seattle ending it's career along with effectively ending the driving career of Big Daddy. Do you know where they were taken? What Track?

CW
Swamp Rat XXX was also the dragster Big Daddy put in the Smithsonian. There was a Swamp Rat XXXI, but I don't know for sure how many races it saw. Some of the top fuelers are doing 272mph by half-track nowadays

I suspect, by where the camera was purchased, they were taken at Capital Raceway back when it was an NHRA National Event venue. I looked for a 1986 schedule to see which raceways around here could have been used, but I haven't found any.

There is one shot of what I presume is the guy's car next to a street, and I found out through that street name that the camera was local to the DC area.
03-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Use cooler inside car for insulation from heat buildup inside car, but do not put anything chilled with it or risk condensation when camera is taken out of cooler (cold into warm = condensation); i.e., ambient temperature water bottle provides mass to help maintain that temperature inside cooler when car gets hot, but a chilled water bottle will create temperature differential producing condensation when chilled camera is taken out.
03-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Use cooler inside car for insulation from heat buildup inside car...
This won't buy you much protection, since a cooler without ice soon reaches ambient temperature.
It might be less attractive to potential thieves than a camera bag though...

Chris
09-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
How long can a roll of film stay in the camera before it should be removed?
I know this is an old thread, but I came across this today: it may shed some light on the above query

Found Films
09-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Along the lines of this thread, I noticed that Freestyle's LegacyPro film is now shortdated to Jan-Fed 2011. Anyone concerned about buying or using that film?
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Along the lines of this thread, I noticed that Freestyle's LegacyPro film is now shortdated to Jan-Fed 2011. Anyone concerned about buying or using that film?
My last purchase (June of this year) was dated to Mar 2011. This does not concern me too much since I keep my film in the 'frig', but I was a bit puzzled. Normally, I would expect somewhere closer to an 18 month out-date.

Steve
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My last purchase (June of this year) was dated to Mar 2011. This does not concern me too much since I keep my film in the 'frig', but I was a bit puzzled. Normally, I would expect somewhere closer to an 18 month out-date.

Steve
It sounds like they bought a lot of short-dated film at a bargain.

What change does one generally see in outdated B&W film? I have always tended to buy B&W in larger quantities and keep it a long time. (I use the fridge, but that is really a habit I formed with color).
09-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It sounds like they bought a lot of short-dated film at a bargain.

What change does one generally see in outdated B&W film? I have always tended to buy B&W in larger quantities and keep it a long time. (I use the fridge, but that is really a habit I formed with color).
I would expect some loss of contrast and increase in fog.

We will see. Tuco passed me a couple of short rolls of Panatomic-X from old stock that I will try to shoot in the next couple of weeks.

Steve