Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry that I never responded to this earlier Ratmagiclady,
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Woohoo. What a cutie. It does look quite well-made. Is that a focusing wheel on the side, or film advance/rewind or something?

I could photograph my little Signet easily-enough. Not a whole lot to look at, I suppose, though I've considered a bit of a refinishing just cause the old silvery wash is probably pretty unrecoverable. (Got to clean the inside of the finder, anyway, being one rationale. I'd also meant to lube the shutter, but this area seems to do strange things to old lubricant, too, but the shutter's running atm, I just found. I keep wanting to find a nice old hood for the lens, too.)

Nice Efke photos, btw. Looks like a good match. It's interesting stuff to me. ...don't do a lot of slow film work, due to some rather nocturnal shooting habits, (Film's slowed to a crawl, here, anyway: I keep hesitating to mix up some soup for various reasons, but I think once I'm a little comfier with digital, and/or find a way to get my print darkroom working, it'll be time to get back on it more, and maybe try some new things.

My Nikonian friend has ordered a bunch of different slow films from Freestyle, but he's only tried the Arista EDU 100 as yet, which is actually Foma.
Thanks,
That wheel on the side is the film rewind. The focusing is on the lens, right in front, with the shutter speed on the next wheel, and the aperture adjustment is a little tab further back.

It sounds like your little Signet has a good home. I hope that you post pic's from it, whenever you have it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
I quite liked the results of some Ilford Delta 100 rated at ASA 50. Could shoot with my 55mm f/1.8 nearly wide open at hand-hold shutter speeds, in broad daylight, backlit.
Thanks Fixcinater,
We have Ilford in the store, although we only have ISO 100 or higher. I do like it however it just doesn't seem to have the same warmth that most older films seem to have.
In my part time job I have the opportunity to scan some very OLD films, and the looks always amaze me.

03-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also shoot TMAX100 or DELTA100 and expose as ASA 50.
Develop in Rodinal 1+50 for excellent results
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just got my hands on a sweet Ferrania Lince 2, and now that I've run a test roll through it discovering that works even better than it looks I'd like to get some proper film for it.
Preferably B&W.
Since this thing has a fastest shutter speed of 1/200 I'm limited to LOW ISO film... unless I can somehow mate an ND filter on.

So, can anyone suggest any preferably ISO 50 or slower B&W film?
Thanks in advance
Although i can't be certain, but my research shows that your camera is perhaps a cousin to the Dacor Dignette. I have a close relative known as the Heiland Premiere. I like the great results you've shown with expired film. Perhaps I will be able to shoot with my Heiland once I get the shutter cock unstuck. I need to leave things alone when there are no operating instructions.
03-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sorry that I never responded to this earlier Ratmagiclady,

Thanks,
That wheel on the side is the film rewind. The focusing is on the lens, right in front, with the shutter speed on the next wheel, and the aperture adjustment is a little tab further back.

It sounds like your little Signet has a good home. I hope that you post pic's from it, whenever you have it out.
Hee, not a bad idea, there. I think I still actually have some older negs from this, if I can find them. Maybe I'll take the little guy out once there are people out on the street: (Seems everyone here hides if it's not at least 75 and sunny, who knows why) ...but old cameras like this seem to draw the photo people out of the crowd to say hello.

03-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Over in the "Cool film shots" thread I vented a bit about getting less than spectacular results from XP2 developed by my local labs. In the past (like the 80s and 90s) I have had excellent results with XP1 as a substitute for a slow B&W film. However my recent results with XP2 in 120 size were underswhelming.

Is it just my lab? Anyone else try chomogenic film as a substitute for low ISO?

By the way, here are two 66% crops shot the same day on a Pentax 645 first from XP2 and the second from TMX100. This is not a perfect comparison, but they are not in the same grain universe in these examples. (That's me in the reflection on the first one)
Attached Images