Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOW ISO films

I just got my hands on a sweet Ferrania Lince 2, and now that I've run a test roll through it discovering that works even better than it looks I'd like to get some proper film for it.
Preferably B&W.
Since this thing has a fastest shutter speed of 1/200 I'm limited to LOW ISO film... unless I can somehow mate an ND filter on.

So, can anyone suggest any preferably ISO 50 or slower B&W film?
Thanks in advance

03-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've used the Ilford ASA 50 with excellent results... looks like there's Rollei and Efke available in 50 and 25, though I have no experience with these. Should be good.

I use ASA 100 b&w film with my antiques - 1/200 is plenty, as usually you want to shoot with smaller apertures and therefore slower shutter speeds. I prefer Foma, Ilford, Fuji to Kodak, at least in 35mm as they tend to curl less.
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only have one antique, a 2x3 SpeedGraphic, and I don't find it a problem with a front shutter speed maxing out at 1/400, even with ISO 400 film. Small apertures usually help.
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addtition to the previously mentioned, Adox has 25 & 50 ASA B&W films. The CHS films are a newer packaging of the Efke line.

- ADOX CHS Film Series -

Phil.

03-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

use a handheld meter, shutter release cable and tripod and shoot "B"
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been enjoying Efke KB 50 recently, but keep in mind that it requires a hardening fixer, as it is a very old-fashioned emulsion.
03-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,
It looks like I'll be placing my first order through freestyle soon, nad ordering up some Adox CHS 25

Oh, and sorry. In my first post I never thought to mention that I like both longer shutter speeds, and narrow DOF.
So the chances are that I'll be shooting this wide open, at f2.8 from time to time , and using Bulb from time to time as well.

I showed the camera to a good friend of mine today, and his eyes popped out. Especially when I told him the price ($8.00 at Value Village)

03-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freestyle has all kinds of interesting stuff I've never tried, so I'd say, have fun. I haven't done a lot of slow-film work in a long time. (Played with some Neopan Acros back there: promising stuff, but I never found a developer I liked very much for it.)

From the looks of that camera, (What a pretty, btw) ... I bet that if you put some Plus-X in there and just stop it way down, should the light be that strong, you'll get a neat 'old camera' look, diffraction and all.
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ratmagiclady,
I'll post a pic from the test film tonight. Even though it was color film it still has beautiful grain and a classical look to it.
Plus I had one frame of Ektar left to blow off, so guess what my subject was. As long as I have the time that roll will get developed while at the lab tonight
03-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks Ratmagiclady,
I'll post a pic from the test film tonight. Even though it was color film it still has beautiful grain and a classical look to it.
Plus I had one frame of Ektar left to blow off, so guess what my subject was. As long as I have the time that roll will get developed while at the lab tonight
Heehee. Makes me wonder what would happen if I put some Ektar behind my Ektar. (That being the lens on one little beauty I kept for myself over the years: a Kodak Signet 35 with the Ektar 44mm 3.5: apparently this was designed for the military as just the pocket leaf-shutter rangefinder for all those Kodak moments after like a tactical nuclear engagement or something: sixty years old and still working. Beautiful little lens, though. )

'They no longer make them as once they did.'
03-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope that you can post some pic's of it Ratmagiclady

Here's a pic of my new toy, and yes it included the case you see all for $8.00.

These are 2 pic's shot from it using cheap (free) outdated film.

Other than a crop, and re-size there are no edits performed.
03-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I love those old cameras

Efke 25 is nice film.

In Rodinal 1:100, Rolleicord Vb:

03-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The EFKE/ADOX films follow a recipe from the 50s I think.
I like the 25 and the 100, never tried the 50 myself.
Hardening fixer is onlly required if you plan to squeegee them to dry; which is not a good idea anyway. If you wash your negs with the AGFA/ILFORD method of 4 changes of water and rinse them with distilled water at the end there is no rpoblem

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I've been enjoying Efke KB 50 recently, but keep in mind that it requires a hardening fixer, as it is a very old-fashioned emulsion.
03-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I hope that you can post some pic's of it Ratmagiclady

Here's a pic of my new toy, and yes it included the case you see all for $8.00.
Woohoo. What a cutie. It does look quite well-made. Is that a focusing wheel on the side, or film advance/rewind or something?

I could photograph my little Signet easily-enough. Not a whole lot to look at, I suppose, though I've considered a bit of a refinishing just cause the old silvery wash is probably pretty unrecoverable. (Got to clean the inside of the finder, anyway, being one rationale. I'd also meant to lube the shutter, but this area seems to do strange things to old lubricant, too, but the shutter's running atm, I just found. I keep wanting to find a nice old hood for the lens, too.)

Nice Efke photos, btw. Looks like a good match. It's interesting stuff to me. ...don't do a lot of slow film work, due to some rather nocturnal shooting habits, (Film's slowed to a crawl, here, anyway: I keep hesitating to mix up some soup for various reasons, but I think once I'm a little comfier with digital, and/or find a way to get my print darkroom working, it'll be time to get back on it more, and maybe try some new things.

My Nikonian friend has ordered a bunch of different slow films from Freestyle, but he's only tried the Arista EDU 100 as yet, which is actually Foma.
03-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I quite liked the results of some Ilford Delta 100 rated at ASA 50. Could shoot with my 55mm f/1.8 nearly wide open at hand-hold shutter speeds, in broad daylight, backlit.