Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Photographing Loch Ness

Hello, g'day, first post here. I'm going up to Loch Ness next Thursday, and hoping to come back with some decent photos. I have two all-but-identical Pentax film SLRs, an SF10 and an SF7, both with 28-80 lenses. I also have a 2x teleconverter.

I'm planning to use Fuji Velvia 50 in one of them, and Another, faster, possibly B&W film in the other. I have just a few questions:

a) Will I need to be getting myself a Tripod?
b) Or any filters?
c) What other film do you recommend? Anyone been there?

Cheers,
The Hyena

07-11-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

I don't have a huge alount of film expirience so take this with a grain of salt. I have been shooting a little Kodachrome 64 and I know that a tripod has been essential in several situations with that so it might be a good idea for the 50. If you are shooting black and white color filters might be fun, and also a polarizer might be useful. As far as other films I really don't know, I just shot a roll of AGFA APX 100 and processed it myself. It appears to have come out pretty well, but I havn't had a chance to scan it yet so we'll see when that is done. I have heard good things about the AGFA APX400 and Ilford HP5 (?) for faster B&W films. I've never been there so I can't really comment on specific situations.
07-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well, personally, I think the oversaturated look has been overdone. Why not try Fuji Astia for your slide film?

For black and white, try Ilford Pan F at 25, or Fuji Neopan 1600 at 800. Both those films have such amazing tonal ranges, I would use them. Esp the Pan F.

As for your gear, get a small tripod, it would really help, and also, pick up some older K mount primes, like the 28mm F/3.5, 50mm F/1.4, and 135mm F/3.5.

Those lenses will outclass your zooms like day and night. Outside of that, they are pretty cheap on the used market now. You could even sell your zooms and just keep a prime on each body!

For filters, try a circular polarizer, a few neutral density filters for the sky, and a red filter for your B/W film.

Other than that, use quiet light, and have a blast!

Last edited by scribble; 07-11-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: filters
07-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you'll probably need a tripod, especially if you plan to shoot Velvia 50. Also, you might want to pick up a graduated neutral density filter. It can help tame bright skies. If you decide to buy the Cokin version, be aware that it's actually listed as a graduated grey, I think. Good luck and have fun.

07-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! However, my budget's ended up being slashed, so I only managed to get one roll of film for the trip, and I chose Velvia 100F as a compromise. I wanted to sell some junk around the room to buy a cheap tripod, but parents said no. I really hoped I'd at least be able to get one or two filters, but

Haven't got much time now to pick anything else up, going tomorrow, I'll have to go again when I've got a bit more cash (a few months time) and do it properly, taking your advice into account.

Thanks again,
The Hyena
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

You will most likely need a tripod for the Velvia. For 35mm I like Ilford Delta 400, but if you are not going to develop the film yourself you might use Ilford XP2. I usually rate XP2 at 250 or 320 to make sure I get shadow detail.

If you intend on putting the Loch Ness monster in any of the images you will probably need to scan the film or switch to digital so you can use Photoshop :-)
07-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I went up to Loch Ness a few years ago, and the typical scottish weather meant that I got a few grey shots, and certainly nothing worth posting on here. With the british summer as it is (ha ha what summer?) I would definitely be packing a tripod you are likely to be taking long exposures.
With black and white film get at least a yellow and a red filter, the yellow gives you subtle enhancements of highlights and shadows, and the red for strong contrasts.
I hope you do get some good weather and light, because the scenery up there is spectacular, but as I said the last time I was there you wouldn't have known you were in mountains, all I could see was water and low grey cloud obscuring the hills, not the best for photography.