Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I had the space for it. I hope you let us know how you make out (I don't think anyone has taken pics of setting up their darkroom and the first roll processed?)

03-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I wish I had the space for it. I hope you let us know how you make out (I don't think anyone has taken pics of setting up their darkroom and the first roll processed?)
Although my kitchen isn't BIG it's fairly long with no outside light source. It would honestly take some careful planning, and most likely some trial and error to get things just right.
I do have 4 local friends who'd help me set it up in a heartbeat. If I was smart I'd let the one who does forensic photography help me with it (actually my best friends girlfriend), since she'd probably show me a few of their tricks
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I might take you up, on that, if you still have it in the summer. With a little luck I'll be heading across the Rockies for a short trip and might just go a little further
I had the enlarger and head Wheatfield is offering, and liked it very much. I also have a very sharp 50mm EL Nikkor lens still in my garage in pristine shape, should Wheatfield's enlarger not come with a lens.
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave away two enlargers on Craigslist.

Chris

03-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I had the enlarger and head Wheatfield is offering, and liked it very much. I also have a very sharp 50mm EL Nikkor lens still in my garage in pristine shape, should Wheatfield's enlarger not come with a lens.
I'd probably let it go with a Fujinon 50/2.8 and 80/4, both of which have been very good performers for me.
I have an embarrassing number of good enlarging lenses, I think 4 or 5 Rodenstocks, and the same number of Nikkors, I think a 50, 80, and 150 in each plus IIRC, a 105 Rodenstock.
03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My God--I can almost smell the fixer now.

(Was that the predominant odor in a darkroom in the 60s and 70s?)

My vote is for E6 processing. Minimal space. Just a tank and proper temp control. And you can scan.
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #22
graphicgr8s

Stu if you were to actually do prints I'd say go for the darkroom. If your looking to just develop and scan then why bother? As soon as you scan you lose the film benefit anyway. But you know that already.

The workshop I built in the back (14 x 30) has an area for a darkrooom. Someday I might even set it up and use it. But only B&W.

03-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Thanks for the offer Gene

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Stu if you were to actually do prints I'd say go for the darkroom. If your looking to just develop and scan then why bother? As soon as you scan you lose the film benefit anyway. But you know that already.

The workshop I built in the back (14 x 30) has an area for a darkrooom. Someday I might even set it up and use it. But only B&W.
Thanks George,
I'm planning on doing prints. Although most people in town say that we're the best at what we do I'm still not impressed with scanned enlargements
They just don't have the depth, or warmth of a real print.
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it ended up being the B&W dark room after all
I saw an ad on Craigslist, for everything that I need, except the chemicals for $50.00, so I bought it.

With it I got a Opemus 4 enlarger, trays, tongs, paper (which might not work) even a bulk film loader and more books than you can shake a stick at.

I'll be doing some reading today, before heading into the office, and may just pick up some chemicals tonight and try a print.
I'll see if I can take a pic of what I ended up with in the next couple of days
03-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Well it ended up being the B&W dark room after all
I saw an ad on Craigslist, for everything that I need, except the chemicals for $50.00, so I bought it.

With it I got a Opemus 4 enlarger, trays, tongs, paper (which might not work) even a bulk film loader and more books than you can shake a stick at.

I'll be doing some reading today, before heading into the office, and may just pick up some chemicals tonight and try a print.
I'll see if I can take a pic of what I ended up with in the next couple of days
Sounds like a lot of fun for $50. Congrats!
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I gave away two enlargers on Craigslist.

Chris
There is a guy here on craigslist giving away a full darkroom setup including a 4x5 Omega with color head and a stuffed three-lens turret. The only catch is that he wants to donate to a school or something similar.

Steve
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I screened the takers, and was happy to give them to young amateurs commited to continuing the tradition of the "real" darkroom...
03-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here's my first 2 attempts

I actually got a bunch of old paper with it, which I didn't expect to give me these results.