Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
another film body, or darkroom?

I appear to have a bad case of Camera Equipment Buyers Addiction, and am having problems deciding what I want to buy next.

I should point out that I haven't even started looking yet, however I'm craving both another film body... plus a darkroom setup.

I honestly own all the bodies that I really need, however since I can develop, scan, and print most films that I shoot at work I really don't need a darkroom either

What I'm thinking is that the darkroom would be nice on those miserable days, when I just don't feel like going out with the camera.
However, with a little luck we'll have a nice spring, when another body might be more useful.

If you were in my situation, and could only afford one... what would you buy?

03-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you were in my situation, and could only afford one... what would you buy?

Neither - buy more film
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Neither - buy more film
I get most film at discount prices, so that isn't a big deal for me
03-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Darkroom, infinitely more useful than yet another camera body.

Or go medium format.

03-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

im dreaming of dark room and capability of developing color negatives..

..so dark room..

03-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've lived in three homes with darkroom setups--one of them quite nice. Unfortunately, my current home is not one of them. It is very difficult these days to dedicate a room to all the things in which we are interested. To do a darkroom right, you need to light seal it, filter the air and plumb it with nice sinks, temperature control etc. And then there is the enlarger, lens, easel and so on. This is not an expense that is comparable to buying a new body.

On the other hand, I've been developing my own B&W film and scanning these days. If you have a scanner, you can buy a tank and some chemicals for less than the cost of a camera. I do yearn for the look of a wet print, though.

30 years ago, I lived in a city with a very nice darkroom rental facility. That is the best of all worlds in my opinion.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-10-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: correct typo
03-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I spend a lot of time in the digital dark room as i did in the chemical one, for the money you'd spend on a nice chemical darkroom i too would suggest as Genev get a nice film scanner like his *drools* process your own film whatever type (fairly easy actually even even dip and dunk) and use digital technology to print or post to web. The initial cost you might think is high but in the long run, if this IS your primary hobby/? it would pay itself off rather quickly.

btw *note to Genev i'm forgoing the flatbed scanner (cheap option) and going for the 9000 as per my above suggestion

03-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I spend a lot of time in the digital dark room as i did in the chemical one, for the money you'd spend on a nice chemical darkroom i too would suggest as Genev get a nice film scanner like his *drools* process your own film whatever type (fairly easy actually even even dip and dunk) and use digital technology to print or post to web. The initial cost you might think is high but in the long run, if this IS your primary hobby/? it would pay itself off rather quickly.

btw *note to Genev i'm forgoing the flatbed scanner (cheap option) and going for the 9000 as per my above suggestion
Even the 9000 plus a good printer is less money than a good print darkroom. If you aren't shooting medium format, you can save about half and get the 5000.

BTW, if you are shooting MF and get the 9000, then spend a little more money for some kind of glass carrier. The Nikon version costs another $250. Based upon an article I read, I've also bought a piece of antinewton glass, which I'm going to try to use on the standard MF carrier behind the film. It's much cheaper and some say it is almost as effective, as well as eliminating masking and two surfaces to clean.
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I probably enjoy printing more than shooting. A real wet darkroom is a magical place.

Chris
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I probably enjoy printing more than shooting. A real wet darkroom is a magical place.

Chris
I felt that way at times as well. I could easily eat up a day there and not know I'd missed lunch.
03-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, It'll most likely be at least a B&W darkroom.
My kitchen is dark, so it shouldn't be all that hard to set up in there.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
To do a darkroom right, you need to light seal it, filter the air and plumb it with nice sinks, temperature control etc. And then there is the enlarger, lens, easel and so on. This is not an expense that is comparable to buying a new body.
Thanks Gene,
I probably look at all of photography differently than most others.
I always start with something affordable, that I can upgrade as I go along.
When I outgrow it I pass it onto someone whom will do the same.

QuoteQuote:
30 years ago, I lived in a city with a very nice darkroom rental facility. That is the best of all worlds in my opinion.
That would be nice, however it just won't happen over here. In the last 2 weeks 3 or 4 Major stores stopped developing film, and I can't blame them. Even with all their business we're only developing about 20 rolls a week. It looks like shooting film is almost a thing of the past here, and true darkrooms are
03-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks everyone, It'll most likely be at least a B&W darkroom.
My kitchen is dark, so it shouldn't be all that hard to set up in there.

Thanks Gene,
I probably look at all of photography differently than most others.
I always start with something affordable, that I can upgrade as I go along.
When I outgrow it I pass it onto someone whom will do the same.

That would be nice, however it just won't happen over here. In the last 2 weeks 3 or 4 Major stores stopped developing film, and I can't blame them. Even with all their business we're only developing about 20 rolls a week. It looks like shooting film is almost a thing of the past here, and true darkrooms are
Not so different. I had a darkroom in a laundry room once. I would fold down a piece of plywood over the washer-drier for the trays, and I plumbed in a cheap slop sink at the end using a garden hose. In my current home, there is not a room in the house--not even a large closet--without a skylight.

At some point, we will probably all have to do our own C41. It is not hard, but as long as the minilab charges $2 to run a roll through, it is not worth it.

Dark, and dark enough for printing are two different things. Pay close attention to light leaks, and enjoy!
03-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Another vote for the darkroom. Apart from anything else, its a place to get away from it all and find yourself.
03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Another vote for the darkroom. Apart from anything else, its a place to get away from it all and find yourself.
If you decide to go for it, get in touch with me. I might have a very nice Beseler 23C Dichroic for sale, with some very tasty goodies (35mm and 120 Negatrans).
03-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you decide to go for it, get in touch with me. I might have a very nice Beseler 23C Dichroic for sale, with some very tasty goodies (35mm and 120 Negatrans).
I might take you up, on that, if you still have it in the summer. With a little luck I'll be heading across the Rockies for a short trip and might just go a little further