Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Changing KX Focusing Screen?

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to replace the Microprism Screen in the KX with a Micro/Split-Image Screen? Could one be salvaged from an old ME for instance? If possible, where could it be done? Preferably Canada.

03-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's anything like my K-7, you can do it yourself. But no existing focusing screen with a split prism will fit your K-x. You'll need to either modify an existing one or buy an aftermarket one. I got mine from focusingscreen.com
03-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since this is the FILM SLR subforum, I suspect he's talking about the KX, not the K-x.

Tony, if your KX is the same as my KM (don't know for sure) then it sure doesn't look like it would be an easy thing to do.

Perhaps an email to Eric Henderson pentaxrepairs@aol.com would get you some good info.
03-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Since this is the FILM SLR subforum, I suspect he's talking about the KX, not the K-x.

Tony, if your KX is the same as my KM (don't know for sure) then it sure doesn't look like it would be an easy thing to do.

Perhaps an email to Eric Henderson pentaxrepairs@aol.com would get you some good info.
oops, my bad. Didn't bother to check what forum this was posted in.

03-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KX came both ways, either with a split-image or with a microprism. As a result, a replacement may well be available. Eric would know.

Steve
03-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto for sending it to Eric. I would also assume that as the ME is a smaller sized body the screen may be a different size than the one in the KX. A screen from another K series film body would be your best bet.

Phil.
03-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Ditto for sending it to Eric. I would also assume that as the ME is a smaller sized body the screen may be a different size than the one in the KX. A screen from another K series film body would be your best bet.

Phil.
ME has a smaller body, but it has a bigger screen than the KX, right?

Anyway, it's not easy to change screens for cameras like KX/KM/K1000, definitely not for guys who never opened up any old film camera.

03-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #8

KX screen change only by service technician

Hi,

according to an old German Pentax technical information brochure, it was possible to have the screens for the KX replaced (5 or 6 different screens available, I'll post if someone is interested), but this needed to be done at the nationwide Pentax repair center in Hamburg.

No do-it-yourself!!! You need to calibrate the exact position of the screen, thus requiring sophisticated (electronical) tools and good knowledge of camera repair!

Due to the different viewfinder size and magnification and the differences in light metering calibration, a ME-MX or whatsoever screen will not fit, I suppose.

The drawback is: how to find such a KX screen?

Good luck,

Vranx
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this page in one of my K series brochures. Unfortunately it does not mention how to get the screen changed.

Frank I’m not sure on the K screen sizes compared to other series bodies, other than they would be different?

Phil.
Attached Images

03-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I found this page in one of my K series brochures. Unfortunately it does not mention how to get the screen changed.

Frank I’m not sure on the K screen sizes compared to other series bodies, other than they would be different?

Phil.
KX has viewfinder of 0.88 x [93%], while ME/ME Super has a slightly bigger viewfinder at 0.95 x [92%]. I guess their screens are not interchangeable. But don't really know for sure. I changed my MZ-5n's screen (0.8 x [92%]) to an MZ-M one (0.77 x [92%]) w/o any problem
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the KX was sold with microprism or split-image focusing screen.
IIRC the split-image focusing aid DOES NOT have a microprism collar.

AFAIK the screen is not interchangeable with those for M- or any later series bodies.

Years ago I bought a used KX that came with the split-image screen.
I had Eric Hendrickson replace it with the microprism screen I prefer.

Chris
03-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Changing KX Focusing Screen

Many thanks to all for input. Looks like I should talk to Eric. Just got it back from him after CLA but didn't ask about the screen. Oh Well!!
Tony