Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

RIP Kodachrome: December 31st, 2010.

Chris

03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
RIP Kodachrome: December 31st, 2010.

Chris

Beer

. . .
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My thoughts on the life of film are the same for vinyl records, both will be around for decades.

In the early 1980’s when Compact Disks were introduced, the bandwagon jumpers predicted a quick demise of vinyl. I said no because DJ’s can’t/won’t mix with CD’s. Close to thirty years later vinyl sales are up and CD sales down!

Same goes for film, there are situations where film is better than digital (B&W as an example). So there is a market and there will continue to be one. Some types/brands of film will come and go; just like cassettes, 8-track, real to real, beta, VHS, laser discs and others.

Phil.

Yes RIP Kodachrome, still the best film ever!
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

...Yes RIP Kodachrome, still the best film ever!
Just sent two more rolls to Dwaynes for processing.

Four down, two to go and after that...no more...

Steve

03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just sent two more rolls to Dwaynes for processing.

Four down, two to go and after that...no more...

Steve
Don't get all emotional on that last shot!
03-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish I had a chance to try that film...
03-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
but *someone'll* pretty much always be able to make a living making it, is my opinion.
Good point -I've noticed that Freestyle always seems to add some obscure film each time a big name disappears.

03-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #23
ksm

I don't think the film will die so soon, there are lot of us out there. Not so long ago I was only a B&W film shooter, developing the film myself, but as I don't have much time recently I am shooting more and more colour film, having it developed in a local lab. And I will continue to do so until Pentax decides to give us a FF DSLR ) and even after.
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ksm Quote
I don't think the film will die so soon, there are lot of us out there. Not so long ago I was only a B&W film shooter, developing the film myself, but as I don't have much time recently I am shooting more and more colour film, having it developed in a local lab. And I will continue to do so until Pentax decides to give us a FF DSLR ) and even after.
There aren't really any local lab to me anymore other than the one B & M that isn't really a camera store anymore and they only do C-41. Kodachrome was never a "local lab" film either which is why I have a gazillion E-6 images and a lot less K64 and K25 images. It had to do with turn around time mostly. In reality, only about 0.5% of those E-6 slides would have been good to have on Kodachrome.
03-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There have been several threads this last week regarding discontinued film products and film-dependent companies (like JOBO) going out of business. Wouldn't you know it that these discussions came AFTER I plunked down an initial $1200 for a large format setup! It gives me pause to think about what I will do with that stuff if it comes to the point where I can no longer get film, chemistry, or processing.

Steve

(BTW...I got one of these...LINK in teak...see also HERE...)
03-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter

There have been several threads this last week regarding discontinued film products and film-dependent companies (like JOBO) going out of business. Wouldn't you know it that these discussions came AFTER I plunked down an initial $1200 for a large format setup! It gives me pause to think about what I will do with that stuff if it comes to the point where I can no longer get film, chemistry, or processing.

Steve

(BTW...I got one of these...LINK in teak...see also HERE...)

I feel your pain. You could always get an adapter and hang a 645D body of the back of it a couple of years out.
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Congrats on the camera, stevebrot! What lenses did you get? And don't worry about LF film going anytime too soon, I feel. You'll have ample opportunitity to shoot that new camera.

Speaking of discontinued. I purchased a qickload holder for my 4x5. Got some Acros quickload and was all set. Three months later Fuji announced the discontinuation of their Acros quickload. Talk about not paying attention and PO'd. I have a expensive paperweight now!
03-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats on the camera, stevebrot! What lenses did you get? And don't worry about LF film going anytime too soon, I feel. You'll have ample opportunitity to shoot that new camera.

Speaking of discontinued. I purchased a qickload holder for my 4x5. Got some Acros quickload and was all set. Three months later Fuji announced the discontinuation of their Acros quickload. Talk about not paying attention and PO'd. I have a expensive paperweight now!
I have a Caltar II-N 150/5.6 (aka Rodenstock APO-Sironar N) on its way from Adorama (Ex condition for $249). I also found a Caltar II-N 90/6.8 (aka Rodenstock Grandagon N) from a local pro for $300. The 90 had been on craigslist and was then at auction on eBay with no bids. I contacted the seller through craigslist and we are both happy with no auction or paypal fees. Here is a link to the eBay auction (LINK). With any luck, the lens will be as good as it looks in the picture.

At this point the spending MUST stop. Well almost...I won a 6x7 negative carrier for my LPL 6x7 enlarger and have bids on a Componar-S 100/5.6 enlarger lens. I have been watching a couple of 120 roll film backs, but have yet to make a successful bid.

The initial plan is to shoot 120 6x7 and pay for scans or use my wet darkroom. I am also going to get some 4x5 film holders and contact print proofs and/or pay for scans. Eventually, I would like to round out the kit with something like the Nikkor-SW 65/4 (pricey, but worth it...) for the wide side of things and pick up a flatbed scanner for both the 6x7 and 4x5 stuff.

In any case, it is all very exciting. I am pretty jazzed.

Steve
03-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It's possible we'll see the 35mm film market shrink to just a few films such as TMax and Reala or some combination. My guess is more folks who shoot film will work with scans rather than true darkroom printing processes.

The odd guess I have is that LF and MF will live on for some time, especially LF, because neither has ever been about convenience or cost. Don't forget that the 35mm point-and-shooter herd jumped onto the digital wagon almost entirely because they believed they would save money by no longer buying and developing film. And they're also the folks who focus most of the energies on trendy styles such as HDR composites and "face-paced" zoom shoots, spray and pray style work. That's as far from the LF gestalt as a shooter can get.

I too have looked at the used LF gear online. A kit costing $1200 is a fantastic bargain compared to a $10k 645D which I can't buy in the US.
03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a Caltar II-N 150/5.6 (aka Rodenstock APO-Sironar N) on its way from Adorama (Ex condition for $249). I also found a Caltar II-N 90/6.8 (aka Rodenstock Grandagon N) from a local pro for $300. The 90 had been on craigslist and was then at auction on eBay with no bids. I contacted the seller through craigslist and we are both happy with no auction or paypal fees. Here is a link to the eBay auction (LINK). With any luck, the lens will be as good as it looks in the picture...
I got both lenses yesterday. Both are in Ex condition and I am pleased. The 90/6.8 is huge (about 1 lb/460 gm) and the 150/5.6 is pleasantly petite and light (0.5 lb/220 gm). I am taking both into the shop on Monday to have the shutters checked.

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
...A kit costing $1200 is a fantastic bargain compared to a $10k 645D which I can't buy in the US.
$1200 is about what it costs at minimum. My LF setup is going to be around $1500 or a little more once I get a roll film back, film holders, lens boards, cable releases, and a tripod head upgrade. I am also choosing to upgrade my enlarger setup to handle 6x7 as well. That is about another $100 for a 100mm Componon-S and a 6x7 negative carrier.

Steve

(Anyone wanting to get rid of a good 6x7 roll film holder for 4x5 Graflok? I need one bad!)