Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-1 Issues

Hey all,

I just got (today) A PZ-1 off eBay. Since I've had the critter home and gotten it a new 2CR5 battery, i've noticed something.

With my DA 18-55mm lens, AF and all the other functions seem to work fine, aperture detection works correctly, etcetera. With my tamron and Sigma lenses though, it seems like the contacts are dirty or the connection between lens and camera is loose, as it jostles around a little and the lenses will occasionally slip out of alignment and not focus/detect properly. This doesn't happen on my K10D or *ist (film, not *ist D) that I've seen, but the PZ-1 does it.

Some questions:

IS this a known issue on PZ-1s? Is it fixable? Is my PZ-1 pooched? Should I ask for a refund?

03-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Hey all,

I just got (today) A PZ-1 off eBay. Since I've had the critter home and gotten it a new 2CR5 battery, i've noticed something.

With my DA 18-55mm lens, AF and all the other functions seem to work fine, aperture detection works correctly, etcetera. With my tamron and Sigma lenses though, it seems like the contacts are dirty or the connection between lens and camera is loose, as it jostles around a little and the lenses will occasionally slip out of alignment and not focus/detect properly. This doesn't happen on my K10D or *ist (film, not *ist D) that I've seen, but the PZ-1 does it.

Some questions:

IS this a known issue on PZ-1s? Is it fixable? Is my PZ-1 pooched? Should I ask for a refund?

Do you mean that when you mount the lens to the camera, the lens fails to latch onto the locking pin in the mount? Is it only with your Tamron and Sigma lenses, or do you have other lenses to try this out on? Any K mount will do.

I have a PZ-1p, and aside from the broken pop-up flash (which is no big deal, it's what the hot shoe is for), it works perfectly fine.
03-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Do you mean that when you mount the lens to the camera, the lens fails to latch onto the locking pin in the mount? Is it only with your Tamron and Sigma lenses, or do you have other lenses to try this out on? Any K mount will do.

I have a PZ-1p, and aside from the broken pop-up flash (which is no big deal, it's what the hot shoe is for), it works perfectly fine.
It locks in place just fine, but when locked in place it seems to intermittenly lose communication with the camera, such that AF, auto aperture, etc cease to work. Jostling the lens works occasionally but inconsistently to fix the issue.

I've noticed it happens with ALL my sigma and tamron lenses (Sigma 10-20, 30-700, tamron 28-200). The only Pentax AF lens I have right now, my kit lens, doesn't seem to do it, or does it so little that I don't notice. I will try mounting the Pentax lens later today and seeing if it does the same and maybe I just haven't noticed.

I'll also mount some Manual-focus A-series primes and see if it loses communication with them as well.
03-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've never had any problems with the lenses communicating to the camera with my PZ-1p. I've used Pentax's lenses, Tamron's lenses, and Sigma's lenses, and they've all worked without a hitch.

Grab a cloth, moisten it (not to the point of dripping) with some rubbing alcohol (preferably the 99% variety), and give the contacts on the lens and the camera a good rub. Make sure that you have the battery out of the camera before you put any liquids to it. See if your problems dissapear.

03-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
I've never had any problems with the lenses communicating to the camera with my PZ-1p. I've used Pentax's lenses, Tamron's lenses, and Sigma's lenses, and they've all worked without a hitch.

Grab a cloth, moisten it (not to the point of dripping) with some rubbing alcohol (preferably the 99% variety), and give the contacts on the lens and the camera a good rub. Make sure that you have the battery out of the camera before you put any liquids to it. See if your problems dissapear.
I will try this. With use it's doing it much less, but sometimes, especially with the 10-20 and the 70-300 sigmas it will still lose communication occasionally.
03-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried swabbing the contacts with alcohol, and let it dry completely before firing the camera back up. No change.

I can also confirm it only happens with 3rd party lenses. With my Pentax 18-55 or 28-80 everything works fine. WIth my Pentax primes the aperture reports fine and focus is confirmed. Has anyone else seen this at all?
03-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like your PZ-1 is pooched (at least partially). I'd ask for a refund, or return it.
03-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have occasionally had a problem with engagement of the screw drive on my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 when mounting it on the PZ-1.

I don't know if it a tolorance issue in location of the various pins and drives, or just the orientation of the screw drive and not turing freely to engage the lens half of the drive into the slot.

once engaged it works just fine, but it does cause some issue from time to time when changing lenses.

Oddly, it does not seem to be an issue with any other lens or with my *istD, K10D or K7D, and I have used the following on all 4 af bodies,

SMC-FA 28-105 F4.5-5.6
SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4.5
SMC-FA J 18-35 F4-5.6
Sigma APO 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC
Sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX with and without 1.4x and 2x sigma TCs
Tamron XR Di 28-75 F2.8
as well as a lot of K mount lenses with my SMC- F 1.7 x AF TC

This is a lot of combinations, yet it is only the 70-200 that seems to be a problem with my PZ-1

03-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have occasionally had a problem with engagement of the screw drive on my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 when mounting it on the PZ-1.

I don't know if it a tolorance issue in location of the various pins and drives, or just the orientation of the screw drive and not turing freely to engage the lens half of the drive into the slot.

once engaged it works just fine, but it does cause some issue from time to time when changing lenses.

Oddly, it does not seem to be an issue with any other lens or with my *istD, K10D or K7D, and I have used the following on all 4 af bodies,

SMC-FA 28-105 F4.5-5.6
SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4.5
SMC-FA J 18-35 F4-5.6
Sigma APO 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC
Sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX with and without 1.4x and 2x sigma TCs
Tamron XR Di 28-75 F2.8
as well as a lot of K mount lenses with my SMC- F 1.7 x AF TC

This is a lot of combinations, yet it is only the 70-200 that seems to be a problem with my PZ-1
The full symptoms I have are:

Any pentax AF/Auto-aperture lens (DA 18-55, FA 28-80, FA 100 Macro) works just fine. Impressively fast and confident AF.

Any manual lens is also fine.

Any Third-party AF lens (I've tried Tamron and Sigma) does the following: It will switch between working and detecting fine, focusing fine, etc, and then not detecting: AF won't work, The aperture will be detected as something faster than what it has (like an F4 lens detecting as 1.2/1.4...I believe this is some kind of default). It's not a drive alignment problem...it's like the camera can't communicate properly with the lens at all. It will then be fine for a little while...perhaps a minute or so...then be bad for a minute or so...back and forth. This doesn't just happen when the lens is first mounted or even after it's been there a while.

The lenses in question are a Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28-80, Sigma 70-300, and Tamron 28-200. They all work flawlessly on my K10D and *ist. If I recall, the 70-300 also worked fine on my ZX-30 before I sold it.
03-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The full symptoms I have are:

Any pentax AF/Auto-aperture lens (DA 18-55, FA 28-80, FA 100 Macro) works just fine. Impressively fast and confident AF.

Any manual lens is also fine.

Any Third-party AF lens (I've tried Tamron and Sigma) does the following: It will switch between working and detecting fine, focusing fine, etc, and then not detecting: AF won't work, The aperture will be detected as something faster than what it has (like an F4 lens detecting as 1.2/1.4...I believe this is some kind of default). It's not a drive alignment problem...it's like the camera can't communicate properly with the lens at all. It will then be fine for a little while...perhaps a minute or so...then be bad for a minute or so...back and forth. This doesn't just happen when the lens is first mounted or even after it's been there a while.

The lenses in question are a Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28-80, Sigma 70-300, and Tamron 28-200. They all work flawlessly on my K10D and *ist. If I recall, the 70-300 also worked fine on my ZX-30 before I sold it.
Sounds to me like a contact misallignment problem. AF not working etc is a result of the furthest pin away from the locking pin not connecting.

I have seen some sigma lenses where the pin locations are not drilled radially but in linnear locations close but not exact to the camera placement which is on a circle. try moving the lens back and fourth on the locking pin and also cleaning the contacts a little
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
My go-to kit is a PZ-1 with a Sigma 28-80mm. I have had zero problems, might be your body. Sorry.