Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the FG battery pack

work with the MZ-S? I love the camera that I just bought but would like to get a battery grip for it. The BG-10 seems near impossible to find and I'm wondering if another one works. Anybody with actual experience using a different one?

THanks.

03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
too bad that you didn't start this post when the Canadian $ was lower. It only took me about 10 seconds to find a new BG-10 here
Although, in my opinion, it's expensive
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
too bad that you didn't start this post when the Canadian $ was lower. It only took me about 10 seconds to find a new BG-10 here
Although, in my opinion, it's expensive
Uhm, Yeah, even with a cheap Canadian $ that's way more than I'm going to spend. I'm just looking to add bulk to the body and am not particularly interested in the other features of the grip..

03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I ran into 2 of the grips for $40 each a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have a body to test them on so I passed on buying them, and unfortunately the store no longer exists. The MZ-S grip is a different shape than the Fg grip for the other MZ series cameras.

If you're reasonably handy and just want to make the body easier to hang on to then carving a grip form wood, plastic or aluminum and attaching it to the tripod mount with a 1/4 20 bolt would be an option.

03-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Sorry if I am eavesdropping, I was not able to get to the beginning of the thead, a grip to use with what camera? A friend of mine has a MZ-30 with a AA grip if that is what you are looking for.
03-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Quote
Sorry if I am eavesdropping, I was not able to get to the beginning of the thead, a grip to use with what camera? A friend of mine has a MZ-30 with a AA grip if that is what you are looking for.
Eavesdrop all you like.. I'm looking for answers..

This camera..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-autofocus-film-slr-reviews/61282-pentax-mz-s.html

Looks from the manual like the MZ-30 uses the FG grip... the most commonly available one.

03-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The Fg grip is surely different, but if you still want to try it, here is a cheap one
Pentax AA Battery Grip FG F/ZX on sale at RitzCamera.com for $5.99 was $49.99, 88% off
03-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Fg will NOT work on an MZ-S. You need the BG-10. And an MZ-S with a BG10 on it is almost perfect in the hand. When selling my camera and grip I was offerred $150-200 for the grip alone. So that may be the market.

03-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

You could always take a fg grip and saw/grind the post off. That might do what you are looking for.
03-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have both the BG-10 and Fg grips and they are nothing alike. The Fg grip is intended for all the MZ/ZX bodies other than the MZ-S; it does nothing but supply power via four AA batteries. The MZ-S grip is a more serious affair, including an additional shutter release, DoF preview lever, AE-L button, and it also includes the IR remote receiver which is not included in the MZ-S body. Unlike many other grips, it doesn't connect via the tripod socket--there is a dedicated quick-release latch for this purpose.

The other way that they are nothing alike is that the Fg grip can be easily found in many places for ~$25 or so. The BG-10 grip is much harder to find, and will normally cost well over $100. I would suggest for those shopping for MZ-S who are interested in the grip--look especially hard for MZ-S kits that include the grip because they are relatively hard to find separately. I ended up buying mine at greater cost and reduced convenience via a Yahoo Japan auction. I have no doubt that it would have been cheaper to spend an extra $100 or so when buying the MZ-S body to find one that includes the grip.

Also, as for the earlier post about the cheap Canadian dollar, right now there is no such thing--the CAD is worth > $0.98 USD.
03-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've found a BG10 grip. Paid a little more than I wanted to but no where near the $260+ of the Canadian sellers (Henry's want's $299). I thought that since both were made for CR2 battery cameras, one may fit the other. Wasn't really too concerned about functions such as the extra shutter release.

03-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I second Nick Siebers, the FG battery grip only works with ZX/MZ cameras but not the MZ-S. From time to time there are some here for sale. Place a Wanted add in the marketplace , you may be surprised.
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
I second Nick Siebers, the FG battery grip only works with ZX/MZ cameras but not the MZ-S. From time to time there are some here for sale. Place a Wanted add in the marketplace , you may be surprised.

I Have placed an ad. I'm sure after the one I just paid for arrives, someone will answer it, for a lot less than what I paid. Or I'll find one on ebay...