Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a dark room close the back take off any lens and hold on B then with a tight beam of light light up the back from the top (where it seems to come from)...i think it's light leak and you need to replace the seal on the back top.

03-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the MX, but it also looks like your mirror bumper foam needs to be replaced - ie. it's non existant
03-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
It could just be a bad film or poor proccessing.
I doubt it. I've seen just about everything imaginable when it comes to poor processing (we have to repair the odd job from other labs) and I've never seen anything like that.
03-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

how many rolls have you shot - could it have been a bad roll of film?

03-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #20

Original Poster
Just one roll since I got it ....
I did a test .. after i advanced the rapid-wind lever, I held my cam pointing toward the sun to check the curtain & noticed few holes.
So guess I will have to replace the curtain or instantly shoot as soon as I re-wind the lever.. that did the trick for other exposures

thank you - everyone.
Santosh
03-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since the other photos did not show this damage, my vote is for damage to the film during processing. Were the photos with that mark next to each other on the roll? A spill during processing or crinkling during loading could produce those marks. I seen that on B&W film that I have have bent too much while getting it on a reel.

Or another thought, perhaps some debris from the interior of that camera got on the film.
03-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
Banned

seeing the photos of the curtain, im fairly certain those are light leaks. your MX is in dismal shape to be completely honest. it looks like all the seals need replacing, a replacement mirror bumper and a replacement curtain. my advice, after thorough testing to make sure it wasnt the film, I would look into either a full CLA or possibly a replacement body (replacing would likely be cheaper)

03-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
seeing the photos of the curtain, im fairly certain those are light leaks. your MX is in dismal shape to be completely honest. it looks like all the seals need replacing, a replacement mirror bumper and a replacement curtain. my advice, after thorough testing to make sure it wasnt the film, I would look into either a full CLA or possibly a replacement body (replacing would likely be cheaper)
If it were a bad curtain, wouldn't those leaks appear on all or more of his shots?
03-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If it were a bad curtain, wouldn't those leaks appear on all or more of his shots?
It would depend how bad the leaks are and possibly how much time he spends with the camera in a cocked state: if only one curtain is bad, as it appears, the leaks wouldn't matter unless that's the one covering the film. And the spots could actually be taking quite a while to become noticeable, ...not enough to be visible if he's shooting rapidly, only appearing if the leaks are letting light in over a long enough time, see?

I suspect that the actual light that's getting in may be coming in part from around the finder: the lack of bumper may even affect it. (Conceivably, too, he's getting a bit of a 'disco ball' effect when the light comes directly in the aperture window or around the finder, with the mirror throwing the light around all crazy. )

Whatever the case, that camera looks to need CLA, no question, and if the shutter curtain's hosed, the shutter curtain's hosed.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-21-2010 at 09:12 AM.
03-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
Banned

If it is a bad curtain, wouldn't those leaks appear on all or more of his shots?
maybe not. like everyone else, im no expert, but it doesn't look like bad film, it looks like light leaks. how slow or fast he advances could affect the outcome, among other things. we do not know his method, we also do not know how the camera behaves at different shutter speeds. a lot of variables, but he mentioned shooting some shots in more rapid succession, leaving less time for the film to be exposed to any light coming through holes in the curtain and then having none of this appear on subsequent frames. this is what leads me to believe its the curtain.
03-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
maybe not. like everyone else, im no expert, but it doesn't look like bad film, it looks like light leaks. how slow or fast he advances could affect the outcome, among other things. we do not know his method, we also do not know how the camera behaves at different shutter speeds. a lot of variables, but he mentioned shooting some shots in more rapid succession, leaving less time for the film to be exposed to any light coming through holes in the curtain and then having none of this appear on subsequent frames. this is what leads me to believe its the curtain.

Yeah, as I thought about it and read this and RML's post, it also occurred to me that if the leak was at a certain place on one of the curtains, it might not appear except on a fast shutter speed when more curtain is extended to form a smaller slit. The elongated nature also makes it look like a pinhole that is moving on the first shot and on a shot with the marks in the second group. However, that second bad shot with the most marks throws me for a loop, because the enlongations are not all following the path of the curtain. Curious!
03-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
Banned

Yeah, as I thought about it and read this and RML's post, it also occurred to me that if the leak was at a certain place on one of the curtains, it might not appear except on a fast shutter speed when more curtain is extended to form a smaller slit. The elongated nature also makes it look like a pinhole that is moving on the first shot and on a shot with the marks in the second group. However, that second bad shot with the most marks throws me for a loop, because the enlongations are not all following the path of the curtain. Curious!
curious indeed. I wish we could have some sort of visual step-by-step, one after the other, replaced and tested study, so that we can know what exactly is going on. the dismal shape of the body leaves so many possibilities, it makes it hard to say with any certainty. that MX has seen a rough life. (and I thought mine was in bad shape)
03-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

This is something which makes me suspect the light may be hitting those spots at strange angles, maybe diffracting through little cracks or some such. So many seals are suspect there, that there could easily be multiple sources.
03-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Here is someone else with almost exactly the same problem, and with an Exakta. Wierd Light leak?????? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
03-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
Banned

Here is someone else with almost exactly the same problem, and with an Exakta. Wierd Light leak?????? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
the consensus from the english comments seems to be shutter curtain. I honestly believe thats what it is in this case, but like everyone else has already stated, there are too many possibilities with this body.