Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't resist, scan vs scan.

While playing around in the darkroom today I couldn't resist this image, shot on Ektar.

This scan is of course a high (as I could go on this machine) res scan done right from the negative at the lab I work at, using a frontier.

Here's the 100% crop from that scan.

While I'm only developing B&W in the darkroom, and a complete newbie at that I wanted to see how the resolution compared. So I scanned an 8x10 that I printed off earlier tonight, then I tried more or less coping the crop, and keeping everything the same size.
Here's what I came up with.

I honestly wasn't surprised that the scanned negative was more pixelated. However I was surprised at how much more-so it was

What I find more amazing, is I appear to have more Dynamic Range, going from the print. The eye just about disappears in the colour version, plus some areas of the head is almost blown out. While the B&W version looks more uniform.

I'm suddenly hoping that I'll eventually get good enough in the darkroom to do my colour prints as well. I think that it'll be an improvement, at least when it comes to large images.

Last edited by little laker; 03-21-2010 at 12:54 AM.
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All kinds of funky things happen when you print a color neg to black and white paper. Remember, black and white paper is not panchromatic. I'm not sure I would take what I can see on my computer screen as an argument for color printing. On the other hand color printing is a lot of fun. You do need a really dark darkroom, though.

I have scanned several prints I've done over the years and later scanned the negative. I generally prefer the negative.
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
unfortunately someone (namely me) hasn't been shooting much B&W, since it's just been easier running color negatives through the C41 machine
That will change, I have a 1/2 shot roll loaded in my MZ-6.

The room was BLACK, with the exception of the safelight. However, I think that the paper is kinda outdated. I just found a date, written in pencil on one box.... Dec 20th / 1981
Plus another box came from a store, which hasn't existed in 8 or more years.
I'd be really surprised if it was stored right as well. I honestly wasn't expecting any image to appear.

I found the former owners invoice, and he bought it from the fellow whom my boss bought the lab I work in from. My boss bought it almost 20 years ago
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
unfortunately someone (namely me) hasn't been shooting much B&W, since it's just been easier running color negatives through the C41 machine
That will change, I have a 1/2 shot roll loaded in my MZ-6.

The room was BLACK, with the exception of the safelight. However, I think that the paper is kinda outdated. I just found a date, written in pencil on one box.... Dec 20th / 1981
Plus another box came from a store, which hasn't existed in 8 or more years.
I'd be really surprised if it was stored right as well. I honestly wasn't expecting any image to appear.

I found the former owners invoice, and he bought it from the fellow whom my boss bought the lab I work in from. My boss bought it almost 20 years ago
If you want to use the machine at work, then stick to the C41 black and white films for a while.

03-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
While playing around in the darkroom today I couldn't resist this image, shot on Ektar.

This scan is of course a high (as I could go on this machine) res scan done right from the negative at the lab I work at, using a frontier.

While I'm only developing B&W in the darkroom, and a complete newbie at that I wanted to see how the resolution compared. So I scanned an 8x10 that I printed off earlier tonight, then I tried more or less coping the crop, and keeping everything the same size.

I honestly wasn't surprised that the scanned negative was more pixelated. However I was surprised at how much more-so it was

What I find more amazing, is I appear to have more Dynamic Range, going from the print. The eye just about disappears in the colour version, plus some areas of the head is almost blown out. While the B&W version looks more uniform.

I'm suddenly hoping that I'll eventually get good enough in the darkroom to do my colour prints as well. I think that it'll be an improvement, at least when it comes to large images.
For once, the bw print (or at least the scan here) is extremely low in contrast and unpleasing. The colour version has much more punch, as obviously the brightness distribution is quite uniform in your subject, so that the colour contrast is the important factor. Just look at the orange feet in front of the greenish background.

Also, I am not so sure you really have the "bad pixelation" in the negative scan and more detail in the scan off print. The scanned print seems smoother, due to the lack of contrast, but if you scrutinize both versions, the colour version actually does show more detail (wings). It may well be, that you perceive having more dynamic range from the print, but actually the dynamic range of a print is always pretty limited and cannot cope with the comparatively big dynamic range of a negative.

This partially explains the flat print. And I must say, the Frontier did a very good job for such a high throughput, consumer production machine.

Ben