Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film SLR recommendation please...

I have not touched SLR in 20 years at least, but somehow starting to feel somewhat nostalgic about old world B&W film photos, so I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and feedback before I purchase a film camera:

I'm somewhat spoiled by now with options of DSLR, so SLR should have some full manual and Tv and Av priority settings as well.

I do want it to have an auto film advance, hot shoe, AF/MF capabilities and compatible with FA (and similar 3rd party) lenses.

Price - ideally, something in great condition, and way under $100.

Any experience with MZ-10? Not looking for anything fancy or fully manual at this point, just want to use it for B&W photos only, and using my existing lenses for fun, but hopefully with good results...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
D

07-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

If you want something with the 'feel' of the dSLRs, check out the *ist (that's *ist 35mm, not *ist D)... made right at the end of the 35mm era so it seems to have been unfairly overlooked. Tiny camera (you might want the grip), but has more 'bells and whistles' than most of the others.

The MZ-6 and MZ-7 are also fairly good while still having more of the same 'feel' as the dSLRs (for example aperture is controlled from the body rather than the lens)... meanwhile the MZ-5 and MZ-3 are more like the older 35mm SLRs... they have a dedicated shutter speed dial, and you set aperture on the lens instead of the body. They have Tv, Av and fully auto modes too - you just operate them in a different way.

Personally I really like the MZ-5n for its quiet operation and 'classic' feel... while the *Ist has more advanced autofocus and metering, neat little custom options like leaving the end of the film out on rewind... and I have to use the *Ist if I want to use a lens without an aperture ring. Both have their uses.

I don't know enough about the PZ series to comment...

As always I will refer you to Bojidar Dimitrov's site... click on 'Bodies' and there you will find all the specs.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 07-12-2007 at 05:54 PM.
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I have not touched SLR in 20 years at least, but somehow starting to feel somewhat nostalgic about old world B&W film photos, so I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and feedback before I purchase a film camera:

I'm somewhat spoiled by now with options of DSLR, so SLR should have some full manual and Tv and Av priority settings as well.

I do want it to have an auto film advance, hot shoe, AF/MF capabilities and compatible with FA (and similar 3rd party) lenses.

Price - ideally, something in great condition, and way under $100.

Any experience with MZ-10? Not looking for anything fancy or fully manual at this point, just want to use it for B&W photos only, and using my existing lenses for fun, but hopefully with good results...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
D
I just picked up a K1000 and have been taking some pics with it. Funny thing I keep catching myself doing is looking at the back of the camera after taking each shot.

I took a photography course at the local college in the spring and used my K100D. I'd like to take the course again using the K1000 and a few primes I have just to see how things will turn out. I, as do you, want to try some B & W photography which is far more difficult than color photography. There's a lot more that you can do with colored filters to change the light or enhance a scene. That should be a lot of fun playing with.

One thing is for sure though......

You can't "Chimp" if you're using a film SLR.

Ed
07-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are a few post in this section mentioning along the question of "what film camera to use ??? " . Just FYI .

Have fun

07-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have an MZ10 in my camera bag, I bought it new around 1992 maybe, time goes by and you dont realise how fast.
It has been and still remains a great camera, I would have traded it in or sold it on if I could have got a decent price for it but they sell for next to nothing these days, and although I don't use it much I am glad I still have it.
I got some good results with this camera over the years, the menu is easy to use, it has all the features you want, shutter priority, program, aperture priority (This can be set withe the aperture ring or in A mode using the menu), fully manual, and idiot mode for the photography virgins who know not how to use it, (just point and shoot).
Metering is very good, and the autofocus system is pretty quick and accurate, I used it with an SMC FA 28-70 F4 and it will fire off approx 2.5 - 3 fps with this lens on a moving subject. With my FA 80-320 it was obviously a lot slower.
It is compact and light, has good hand grip, the batteries are CR2 I believe which can be quite expensive but they will last for approx 500-800 shots depending on how much your use is and whether or not you use the pop up flash. And an additional battery grip is available, though I never had this so I can't say whether it is good or not.
I would rate the camera a good 9/10 overall for functionality and use, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you got one.

Hope this is helpful
07-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for the feedback and suggestions, very much appreciated!

As nice as it would have been to obtain the *ist in the film version, I've had absolutely no luck finding many of them, and the very few that I did - astronomical price...

I've stopped by the local camera store today after work, they had few older models of Pentax SLR bodies, one of which was MZ-10 (is it the same as European ZX-10?). It felt good in the hand (I have fairly small hands), seems to be very logical in it's functions and operation.

But they would not come even close to the price of what these go on ebay... So I bought the refurb from Henry's (the one with landscape and date option), under $44 is a good deal I think? Comes with warranty too.

Many thanks for all your help!

Regards,
D

P.S. Very informative thread here on B&W film too, thank you to all for contribution for responses!

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 07-13-2007 at 06:05 PM.
07-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A bit disappointed...

I bit disappointment today - camera arrived, could not wait to get few shots with it. Looked brand new (Pentax Canada refurb), 90 days warranty, not a mark or scratch on the body...

Went to get the batteries, turned on fine, mounted the lens - figured FA 28-105mm would be a decent match for this body, but guess what - no Autofocus, not even trying to move...

Lens? Came home, mounted FA 50mm - nothing still
Pressed the build in flash button release - nothing, spring loaded mechanism not working, flash does not stay up

Good thing - Henry's (where I got it from) said there will be no problem replacing it with another one, they should let me know tomorrow if I need to through this one away or send it back... Very polite, very assuring customer service, never dealt with them before, but very pleased from that perspective!

So, sorry for the long story, but... Just sent my K10D for a free warranty cleaning this morning, good thing I still have K100D, otherwise no photos for few weeks

Regards,
D
07-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So sorry to hear... I have the ZX10 which was my sole AF slr till recently, now is my #3 body after the Program Plus and K100D....

Did you check the AF/MF switch on the lens mount? If it isn't set to AF....
But, that flash not staying up sort of tells me it's not the Operator's Error in this case. Hope the next one works.

The ZX10 theoretically meters and sets shutter speeds slower than the Program Plus. But used with a pinhole, I found the ZX doesn't meter (though I appreciate the ability to set 30 second exposure) whereas the Program Plus does (and seems to set longer exposures than spec'd). The ZX won't control aperture on camera, but works great in program or exposure priority with all lenses.