Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Well, that's normal. The way the K mount works is to provide a linkage which informs the camera how many stops of light will be lost at the set aperture Vs wide open (when metering is done). With this setup, the camera doesn't need to know what the aperture actually is.

I believe that the A series electronically communicates the lens aperture and provides a linear mechanism for stopping the lens to an exact aperture - previous to the A series, this linkage was non-linear.

Of course, this only works if the lens is set to A. Otherwise it resorts to working like an M series lens. (no electronic info on aperture). That's not to say it won't work properly with your camera though... if it has the mechanical linkage to indicate the #stops loss of light, you should be fine.

04-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I'm pretty sure that ALL the Pentax AF film cameras can control the aperture from the body. I know that my SF-1 can, and, if you don't count the ME-F, its Pentax' first AF camera. My ZX-60 will ONLY support lenses that can be controlled from the body. If you mount a non-A lens or move the aperture ring off the "A" setting, the top LCD flashes "F--" at you.
In Shutter Priority or full auto mode, this is true. Where the PZ-1 beats out the others is in the ability to manually select an aperture. The thumb wheel will allow you to use the lenses without an aperture ring in Aperture Priority or HyperManual/HyperProgram.
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
In Shutter Priority or full auto mode, this is true. Where the PZ-1 beats out the others is in the ability to manually select an aperture. The thumb wheel will allow you to use the lenses without an aperture ring in Aperture Priority or HyperManual/HyperProgram.
Yeah, but there is one really big weakness of the PZ-1 that you experience when you step backwards from all the top of the line DSLRS.

You take your shot, and then instinctively wait staring at the back of the camera for an image to appear.

the camera hadnles so much like the *istD, K10D, K20D, and K7D that you forget that it takes several hours for the image to develop (once you get to the processor)
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Yeah, but there is one really big weakness of the PZ-1 that you experience when you step backwards from all the top of the line DSLRS.

You take your shot, and then instinctively wait staring at the back of the camera for an image to appear.

the camera hadnles so much like the *istD, K10D, K20D, and K7D that you forget that it takes several hours for the image to develop (once you get to the processor)
Good point! I'm hesitant to admit that I have done that when switching back from my K10D.

04-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I'm pretty sure that ALL the Pentax AF film cameras can control the aperture from the body. ....
I had MZ-5n. I don't remember it can control aperture from the body.
04-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The *ist is the most recent AF film camera, the smallest also !