Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yesterday I got a note from Tuco that he had rolled off two canisters of Panatomic-X and they were in the mail headed my way. Very cool. This was my favorite film back in the 1980s and I really looking forward to using it again, even if for only a few shots.

Steve

07-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #47
cak

I was always a plus-x / tri-x kind of guy back in the late 70's early 80's.

After a long spell of not doing anything photographically I got back into photography digitally (K10D) and then later nostalgia set in and I picked up a spotmatic-f like the one I had way back when. Only this time I sought after fine grain films like Panatomic-X... (What do you mean they stopped making it in the late 80's!!!)...

To make a long story short I found several bulk rolls on eek-bay that were apparently stored well.

These are from my first attempts with pan-x developed in hc110 dilution-H I believe. (This batch of film was expired in 1986)

On the other hand here are a couple of the more modern Ilford Pan-F+ also developed in hc110

I think I'm having more fun with the Pan-X. However, I believe the Illford will work for me when I run out of the panatomic. I'm quite satisfied with fuji acros 100 but I don't have any scans to show right now.
07-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

@cak, that #3 with the church is the Pan-X that I remember. Beautiful.!

Steve
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm doing a stint at an Art School program, and they've provided Tri-X. It's a nice film, I like the grain. It's enough to remind me it's film, without being obnoxious. So, I guess Tri-X, and for color, Fuji Superia 200-400 would be my favorite films.

08-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #50
cxo

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I remember trying a couple rolls of Pan F+ when Ilford first added the "plus".
Developed in D76 (?) my negs were muddy looking; i.e. soft and low-contrast;
not what I expected from a slow fine grain film. Discouraged I never used it again.
I haven't used any slow (<100) BW film since all the Agfa APX25 disappeared.

Chris
Actually the Pan F is not a 'soft' film at all, it is important not to overdevelop it.
08-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I hate to sound stupid, but I really don't know all that much about film. Anyways, I'm working on a project right now, (It's for photography classes) and I'm hoping to coax a very old-school/retro feel out of my set-up. Is anyone still making a non-panchromatic film?
08-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #52

Black and white: Arista Premium 400/Tri-X
Color: Ferrania 400 (the grain makes it special for me), Portra 160vc (true colors), Kodak Gold 200 (good general purpose tester of kit)

I usually shoot more black and white, and soup my film, but I am scannerless at the moment, so I am using more color and the convenience of drugstore processing/scanning onto CD.

08-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
For negative film Fuji Superia Reala 100. There was talk about discontinuation. Then it looked like only for 120, then it looked like it came back. For a time it went up quite a bit in price, but can now be had again at about 3.00 for 20 rolls of 36.

Don't know where this stands now, but it is available and through it all, it really remains my favorite for landscapes. The blues and greens are great.

woof
08-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
For negative film Fuji Superia Reala 100.
woof
I'll second that for a 100 speed negative film. Overall though, I prefered the now discontinued Kodak Ultra Color 400 for negatives (faster speed at very little grain penalty, and excellent colors, except for portraiture). My favorite on the black and white side of things is Ilford XP2 Super; I just love the look of that film and its flexibility in terms of exposure in pretty much unmatched (it also allows me to manipulate how grainy I want each photo to look). I just picked up a 645 cheap and have got some XP2 on order for it...
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I hate to sound stupid, but I really don't know all that much about film. Anyways, I'm working on a project right now, (It's for photography classes) and I'm hoping to coax a very old-school/retro feel out of my set-up. Is anyone still making a non-panchromatic film?
Maybe using a Blue or Cyan color filter on panchromatic film will give you more of an orthochromatic feel if you want washed out skies and what-not that film produced.

Last edited by tuco; 08-26-2010 at 08:18 AM.
08-26-2010, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe using a Blue or Cyan color filter on panchromatic film will give you more of an orthochromatic feel if you want washed out skies and what-not that film produced.
I was thinking much the same thing. Blue filter with Fuji Neopan Acros 100?

Steve
08-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #57
Inactive Account

right now, current favorites...

b&w
ilford delta 100
fuji neopan 400

color
kodak portra 400NC & 400 VC
kodak ektar 100

but i am always trying out other stuff.
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice on the filters. I've also heard that Efke/Adox films are based on an older emulsion, and might, with the right filters. give me the look I'm going for. Has anyone shot any Efke or Adox lately?
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Anyone have any thoughts in regard to stability of emulsion over time, have seen a number of "colors/chromes" out of production and yet availible. Would'nt mind taking a chance on something like that, be nice to have an ideal of what to keep the 'eye out for'

Ektachrome 64... be there or be square!
09-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #60

I am still in love with Velvia, started using it when it was still only available in ISO 50, mostly used with tripiod for landscapes. For people and all around photography I used either Fuji Superia or Reala if I wanted more neutral colors. While not much of a B&W shooter, I used T-Max 400 and like the resulting sharpness and grain patterns, and had several poster-size art prints made from the negatives for my den.