Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LX Issues

So, I got my LX overhauled last year and have barely put 5 rolls through it. The last two rolls (in the past week-and-a-half) -- for a few shots the mirror would hang up and then come down when I took the camera out of the auto mode. This can't be sticky mirror already, can it?

04-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
So, I got my LX overhauled last year and have barely put 5 rolls through it. The last two rolls (in the past week-and-a-half) -- for a few shots the mirror would hang up and then come down when I took the camera out of the auto mode. This can't be sticky mirror already, can it?
I had the same issue on one of my LX and that was right after it came back from Eric. Then the problem seem to have gone away then it came back.
I would also be curious to know about this in more detail.

Cheers,

Luc
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could be a dead battery. I know, that at least some LXes behaved like that (mirror-up and shut down).

Ben
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm guessing it's battery problem too. Change the batteries and see how.

Another problem about LX (and MX) camera is that the batteries run out of juice too fast. Hope yours isn't this case.

04-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I'm guessing it's battery problem too. Change the batteries and see how.

Another problem about LX (and MX) camera is that the batteries run out of juice too fast. Hope yours isn't this case.
<smacks forehead> OF COURSE...they are the original batteries. I'll chenge 'em & try it out. Stupid, stupid, stupid...
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another silly question, but was the lens cap on or were you indoors with the ISO set low and the F-stop small? I've had this happen and it was just the camera attempting a very long exposure with light conditions that would legitimately indicate that kind of exposure.
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Another silly question, but was the lens cap on or were you indoors with the ISO set low and the F-stop small? I've had this happen and it was just the camera attempting a very long exposure with light conditions that would legitimately indicate that kind of exposure.
Nope -- lens cap off, focused on a subject and attempting to shoot in daylight around f1.7-f2.8. Should not have been an issue.

I haven't tried to replace the batteries yet. I didn't have anough time to dig them out over the weekend.
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope -- lens cap off, focused on a subject and attempting to shoot in daylight around f1.7-f2.8. Should not have been an issue.

I haven't tried to replace the batteries yet. I didn't have anough time to dig them out over the weekend.
Hey, you, btw.

In case it helps, one thing I find about the climate down here is that it really does seem to exacerbate lube-related problems that one might not notice elsewhere. I'm just starting to get in the habit of checking even long-trusted lenses for snappy irises.

04-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Recently I saw a very desirable Pentax lens at KEH for a bargain price due to a claimed sticky diaphragm.
It would have been a very good buy even including Eric's repair cost, so I went ahead and purchased it.
But when it arrived there was no problem - diaphragm isn't sluggish; it opens and closes in a snappy fashion.

Now New York can't match Georgia temperatures, but our humidity is world class. I'll check it again in July...

Chris
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, you, btw.

In case it helps, one thing I find about the climate down here is that it really does seem to exacerbate lube-related problems that one might not notice elsewhere. I'm just starting to get in the habit of checking even long-trusted lenses for snappy irises.
Hey you as well -- it has been too long.

I doubt that it would be a heat/lube issue as I was having the issues when it was a good bit cooler and when I was in New York a couple of weeks ago. I'm digging out my batteries tonight!!!
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to offer up a shred of closure -- I tried some batteries that I had on hand and the camera worked a bit better, but still "stuck" a couple of times (dry-firing), but they were old new batteries if that makes sense. I bought some fresh ones a shot a roll yesterday and had no hang-ups and the speeds sounded good. I think that it was a battery issue. I will be fully convinced when I get back a set of beautifully exposed photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Adam
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Dry firing an LX in auto will lead to all sorts of weird results.
I'm just sayin', so don't be startin' a fight.
04-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah -- I was looking primarily at mirror operation. The speeds in auto seemed off, but I remembered that the LX meters off the film in auto, so I paid attention once film was in the camera & it seemed fine.
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Yeah -- I was looking primarily at mirror operation. The speeds in auto seemed off, but I remembered that the LX meters off the film in auto, so I paid attention once film was in the camera & it seemed fine.
No film in an LX poses the problem of a difference between the meter and the actual exposure timing due to metering cell picking up the light off a patterned portion of the shutter. But this only occurs before the mirror flips up out of the way and the shutter opens, then the actual exposure timing is the silicon cell looking at the pressure plate (which is black and doesn't reflect light as well as an actual film emulsion).

However, the problem of the shutter hanging until the shutter dial is moved off "Auto" is common to a dead or cold battery. The cold battery can be resolved with the remote battery cord (a dummy plug with a cord that goes to a battery in your warm pocket).
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah -- that cord is an interesting solution for cold weather. Not much of a problem here, but a novel idea to me.