Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Paper Pentax MX

Surfing with 'Stumble Upon' I ended up at this website.

LINK

It is the pattern for a very realistic looking MX designed to printed and then cut-out using scissors.
The instructions are in an Oriental language, but it appears to be somewhat self explanatory.
I can only imagine that one could make a pinhole camera out of this, but I am not sure if that is what it is designed for originally.

Someone willing to give it a go? Looks like fun!

04-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No that is pretty cool!
04-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this is very cool. I've seen paper computers before (Macs), but this MX seems far more detailed and realistic.

Thanks for posting this, J.Scott! I've bookmarked it as a rainy-day project for me and my five-year-old: he's pretty interested in photography, and I'm pretty sure he'll like this MX, especially since I've got a silver one.
04-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

it looks too complicated for what an idea I suddenly had.
My gf, being a grade 1 teacher is occasionally looking for ideas, for her art class, and an actual pinhole camera might be a perfect project

It would be even more fun doing up a little darkroom, and develop the pic's for the children, which we may just be able to do.

04-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The linked image is slightly bigger than 8.5 X 11.
I printed it but the 'camera' is tiny; smaller than an Auto 110.
I'll have to figure out the proper size to make it 1:1 with a real MX.

Yeah, it does look too challenging for grade 1 kids.
There are web sites for making paper-type pinhole cameras that might be more suitable for wee kids.
04-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Surfing with 'Stumble Upon' I ended up at this website.

LINK

It is the pattern for a very realistic looking MX designed to printed and then cut-out using scissors.
The instructions are in an Oriental language, but it appears to be somewhat self explanatory.
I can only imagine that one could make a pinhole camera out of this, but I am not sure if that is what it is designed for originally.

Someone willing to give it a go? Looks like fun!
Imagine my surprise when I clicked to save the jpeg -the "Overwrite this file?" dialog box popped up.

I already had this file - must have found it when I went through compulsive Pentax searching on the internet in 2002 - 2003
04-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
it looks too complicated for what an idea I suddenly had.
My gf, being a grade 1 teacher is occasionally looking for ideas, for her art class, and an actual pinhole camera might be a perfect project

It would be even more fun doing up a little darkroom, and develop the pic's for the children, which we may just be able to do.
Hi LL,

I'm quite the pinhole nut - here's a (very old) link to a DIY pinhole camera you can make out of cardboard, etc:

Captured Starlight: Making a 35mm "matchbox" pinhole camera from aluminum flashing

04-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Hi LL,

I'm quite the pinhole nut - here's a (very old) link to a DIY pinhole camera you can make out of cardboard, etc:

Captured Starlight: Making a 35mm "matchbox" pinhole camera from aluminum flashing
Thanks gabriel,
It's a nice idea, however I was thinking of something possibly a little simpler.

I'll have to run it past Kolleen first, but what I was thinking of is something along the lines of a shoebox, and instead of film just using sheets of B&W photo paper.
I understand that photo paper is basically around ISO 8, making it ideal for longer more controlled exposures. Less likely to get effected with small light leaks, and most likely easier to use.

Plus, that way she can actually develop it in front of the children, in a dark room showing them the real magic.

Since I have boxes of outdated photo paper which are perfect for her use, all that she'd need is the boxes and a dark room.
I can also loan her a couple of safelights, the trays, and probably talk my boss into donating most of the chemistry required.
04-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I believe you have all stumbled upon the art of 'papercraft'
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks gabriel,
It's a nice idea, however I was thinking of something possibly a little simpler.

I'll have to run it past Kolleen first, but what I was thinking of is something along the lines of a shoebox, and instead of film just using sheets of B&W photo paper.
I understand that photo paper is basically around ISO 8, making it ideal for longer more controlled exposures. Less likely to get effected with small light leaks, and most likely easier to use.

Plus, that way she can actually develop it in front of the children, in a dark room showing them the real magic.

Since I have boxes of outdated photo paper which are perfect for her use, all that she'd need is the boxes and a dark room.
I can also loan her a couple of safelights, the trays, and probably talk my boss into donating most of the chemistry required.
Paper is more like ISO 5, and multicontrast paper used as film is extremely high contrast (basically either black or white). I would recommend a yellow filter and expose for ISO 2-3 - this helps a lot with mid-tone grays.

One nice thing about paper is that it has no reciprocity failure out to 10+ minutes.
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Paper is more like ISO 5, and multicontrast paper used as film is extremely high contrast (basically either black or white). I would recommend a yellow filter and expose for ISO 2-3 - this helps a lot with mid-tone grays.

One nice thing about paper is that it has no reciprocity failure out to 10+ minutes.
Thanks,
I talked t Kolleen about it today, and she likes the idea of it. Since my mom has a small wholesale business I'll talk her out of some suitable sized boxes, and supply the children with the rest
Kolleen really liked the idea of the children making their own working camera. When I told her that they could actually watch the images develop before their very eyes, with my safelights in a dark room she became even more interested.

With a little luck at least one student will like it enough to stick to it.