Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Modern Film SLR?

I'm actually trying to find out if there are any modern film SLR models that would take DA lenses? any suggestions? Just curious. Thanks for answering!

EDIT: UH OH... are DA lenses... designed specifically for APS styled bodies? and do not work for FF?

04-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My ZX-L works fine in all modes with a DA 70, no problems, and with a DA 16-45 with vignetting wider than 22mm

A Super Program would do, my Program Plus works well in program mode.

There are a lot of alternatives.
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

There is an entire thread on which DA lenses work on FF and to what extent.

I bought the ZX-L pretty much solely for this purpose. It works well, and it was really cheap.
04-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
There is an entire thread on which DA lenses work on FF and to what extent.

I bought the ZX-L pretty much solely for this purpose. It works well, and it was really cheap.
Oh thanks guys for the answer, sorry I didn't see the thread ;(.

04-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

In the interest of simplicity, I'll pass along my response from the other thread here. The PZ-1/Z-1 and PZ-1p/Z-1p can fully control the aperture on DA lenses, D FA lenses, and FA J lenses. There are many bodies that will work for full auto and shutter priority, but the Z-1's and a couple of the MZ/ZX bodies will work in all modes. You just have the vignetting issue at shorter focal lengths. Hope this helps.
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
In the interest of simplicity, I'll pass along my response from the other thread here. The PZ-1/Z-1 and PZ-1p/Z-1p can fully control the aperture on DA lenses, D FA lenses, and FA J lenses. There are many bodies that will work for full auto and shutter priority, but the Z-1's and a couple of the MZ/ZX bodies will work in all modes. You just have the vignetting issue at shorter focal lengths. Hope this helps.
Yes it does! Hmm... I probably won't be going less than 18mm... This is quite interesting though.
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Yes it does! Hmm... I probably won't be going less than 18mm... This is quite interesting though.
I'm glad it doesn't look like I actually need any DA lenses (to go on film, at least) on this count: if I were to have enough money dropped on me to spend freely, I think I'd only really want the 21 to be a wide on crop that won't be in my way. The rest can be FA's or something else compatible. It's the wides, and all, which for my purposes only even *need* to be something that comes in DA. and all.

Even for film cameras, I tend to carry unimpressive consumer 28's just because even if I had a lovely 20 or 24 around, I'd probably leave that at home. (And in reality, I have a big Sigma 28 that covers film just fine, but is being my 'digital semi-wide' mostly. For 'utilitarian wide on digital,' the kit lens works, and weighs nothing; it's just bigger than it needs to be. Therefore stays home, too. )

So, it's not too bad, really, I think unless there actually *are* DA's that you either must have or already have.

(I probably wouldn't sneeze at a 55 DA*, just cause I love short portrait lengths (Sometimes I joke that if someone glued the 85 on my old Canon I might not notice for weeks) and it'd rock to have one weatherproofed with the quick-shift focus, but as *glass* I just love my FA 50. )

So, things can be worked out. There are plenty of choices, really, I'd just consider what you really want to do. I think I'd go for a Z-1P, too, all other things being equal/uncertain.
04-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
but they do not support SDM lenses.

Just to be clear, the PZ-1 and all film cameras only support screw drive AF.

I do agree however, the PZ-1 is a great camera and except for the vignetting with some lenses, will control all other functions seamlessly

04-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I do agree however, the PZ-1 is a great camera and except for the vignetting with some lenses, will control all other functions seamlessly
Those lenses will work on screw drive with the film bodies which is something they can't do with the K20d and K200d for example.
04-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Although I have no use for the present SDM lenses I was wondering if it's possible for a hacker to change the powerzoom function on the PZ line to work with them.
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Although I have no use for the present SDM lenses I was wondering if it's possible for a hacker to change the powerzoom function on the PZ line to work with them.
I suppose anything is possible, but it is probably not practical.
04-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I suppose anything is possible, but it is probably not practical.
Although I do agree with you at this time Gene, if the new Sigma 85mm f1.4 turns out being as sweet as their 50mm f1.4 I'd sure be tempted to make it work just for that lens.