Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vertex, did you ever find a grip?

04-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #17

Original Poster
seems like the mz-s is not the newest film body in the pentax line, which is why it has the sorta weird compatibility things (nothing new to camera systems, nikon has more than its fair share of weird compatibility!). pentax has some amazing lenses though; the pancakes are not to be found elsewhere!

but all the great things about the mz-s are nice to know. it's always the little touches that differentiate systems, since it's easy to get the big stuff right.
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #18

Original Poster
bkpix, your blog post about the MZ-S is exactly what i'm trying to figure out... combined film/digital lenses in one system! it is definitely hard... on the Nikon side the lightest full 135 frame digital camera is the giant and heavy D700, so I've been loathe to get one of those.

I haven't really looked at Canon but it actually sorta makes sense... a 5dmk2 is actually much lighter than a d700 (plastic, not metal like a d700) and a eos-3 or 1v would be great. also no worries about lens compatibility, hah! everything works on canon.

but in the end i should do what the last line in your post says, which is to go back to taking pictures and forgetting about this whole thing!
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Vertex, did you ever find a grip?
Nope not yet, but I haven't really been looking very hard... not at all in fact. Been too busy! You have one you'd like to give me?

04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MZ-S has simply the best ergonomics I've ever used. Period. Pentax thought about all the little things that you never realized that you needed until you've handled the MZ-S.

The viewfinder is excellent especially with the grid screen. The slanted top screen is a great idea. The camera is able to use the latest Pentax flashes (AF360FGZ, AF540FGZ) including the wireless flash modes, which I take full advantage of. Metering is extremely accurate (I've tested this) even under tough lighting conditions, plus it has spot metering. Its small compared to similar spec'd cameras of that era and I've decided that I prefer small cameras. With the battery grip you can use the little IR remote shutter release.

The 2 second MLU is indispensable. I've read purists poo-poo this as not a "real" MLU. Well, it works and it's handy, so there.

Ergonomics trumps bells & whistles and every time as far as I'm concerned. So I've ended up with 4 of these cameras, all with the battery grip. I've found that the Really Right Stuff universal L bracket fits quite nicely so I can use the the camera in vertical format on my tripod easily.

As mentioned already in this thread, contrary to internet mythology, you can use lenses without aperture rings. All you have to do is shoot in program mode or shutter priority.