Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder has metal piece showing

I recevied my MG today and there is a flat rectangular piece of metal with one side bent to a 90 degree angle. It moves about when you move the camera around.
..... I contacted the seller and stated that I wanted some resolution but I would like to know what the metal piece is and if worth fixing? thanls.

04-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have a digital a pic wold be nice, to see what you have going on.
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like it's part of the housing that forms the viewfinder. IIRC, these are actually in there pretty tight and are surrounded by padding around the prism. If it's loose, it may be that someone has dismantled or tried to, the camera. That or it's been abused somehow. That or I'm completely off base. All of which are possible..

04-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It sounds like it's part of the housing that forms the viewfinder. IIRC, these are actually in there pretty tight and are surrounded by padding around the prism. If it's loose, it may be that someone has dismantled or tried to, the camera. That or it's been abused somehow. That or I'm completely off base. All of which are possible..

That's interesting Jeff, as the black eypiece has a chipped corner. i'm now suspecting that the poor packing contributed to the damage being caused by mishandling during shipping. What is IIRC? Also the meter doesn't work... I don't have film in the camera but the cam. came with batteries. suspecting dead batteries I inserted working ones from another cam and the meter just won't register.

04-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly...

Not knowing who you bought it from or where, it's hard to advise. If the camera was advertise fully functional, I would definitely seek resolution. I think they'd have to bang it pretty hard in shipping for that kind of damage..

I'm not particularly familiar with that model either but I don't think things should be moving around in the viewfinder. It's a thick chunk of glass with some mirror silvering to give you a proper view. The last SLR I took apart (wasn't a pentax) had some padding around the prism as a just in case things got bumped. Just in case the housing got a little dinged, it wouldn't break the prism glass. You did say what you are seeing is Metal, correct?

As for the meter, check the manual (PENTAX MANUALS) and make sure it isn't supposed to have film in it for the meter to work. Check your ISO setting as well. Too low of a setting will keep the meter at a minimum in some conditions regardless of your speed and aperture settings.

04-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hey EyeSpy,

I happen to know how to fix both of the problems....

I have an MG in excellent condition. You can have it just for the shipping cost.

Drop me a PM.

BTW, the light meter doesn't need film in the camera to work.
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you have a digital a pic wold be nice, to see what you have going on.
Sorry, I thought i had,,,each forum has different sets of rules to post a simple pic. Tt's not worth the grief at times. I'll try again. the first pic shows the metal piece in the lower right corner of the viewfinder. If I move the camera from a landscape to portrait the piece moves. You can shake the camera and see it bounce all over the place. It hurts.

I happen to know how to fix both of the problems.. from SOldbear
hah hah funny,, I will consider but then again I find the camera a bit small. I could see it being fitted with a small lens and leave it at that for a street shooter.
>>
I tried working batteries from another camera once again and the meter Led lights appear which is all it is good for.. ooohhh pretty lights! since it sets the shutter speed auto. Can you tell I'm getting less impressed with Pentax MG?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260577620222&ru=http%3A%2F%

I'm going to argue about return shipping costs. I don't think I should pay...it's not like it was the wrong color or it didn't fit. And the 400mm lens was used as a nut cracker...the rim is severly dented. The listing shows a small ding on the rim but right next to it (which is not shown) is a dent about an inch long which will not allow a filter to be installed. I would have like to experiment with this lens on my super-tanker.
Attached Images

04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
CAMERA IS GUARANTEED CLEAN AND IN WORKING CONDITION AS WE OUTSOURCED THIS FOR INSPECTION/CLEANING
Either they lied or their outsource source doesn't have a clue. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's the latter. I'd send it back and demand 2 way shipping refund as well. This isn't the camera you were led to believe it was.. Go through the ebay/paypal item not as described process if the seller balks at it.

04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

The eBay listing is misleading. The MG was not top of the line - it was a simpler replacement for the ME - the MESuper was top of the line.

Camerapedia Entry

Damage as you describe is IMHO unlikely in a well-protected shipping container.. Doesn't matter, though, the camera is not as it was described. That baffle should not be loose in the VF plane. If it was in fact checked and repaired there should be a warranty - tell the seller to take the camera in for the warranty repiar and to give you back your money.

I just did that successfully on a purchase - the guy listed the camera again the day after he got it back.

The Osawa lens is a tougher one - the picture shows a ding and the 1" dent you describe can be seen if I am looking for it.
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The eBay listing is misleading. The MG was not top of the line - it was a simpler replacement for the ME - the MESuper was top of the line.
[Thanks Monochrome for your reply the packaging was not well thought out by the seller.

Thank You ALL for your support. The seller and I went back n forth amicably. I'm a pushover and to avoid the hassle of returning the whole shebang..I offered to accept the working SMC M 50mm the mint pentax case and pentax strap for a twenty dollar refund.

So I now own a "broken" MG, a dented 400mm lens, SMC M 50mm, case,strap for
basically $24.00

I'm not sure what I will do with the camera...tear into it perhaps. Maybe a simple fix...time to start learning about the internal mechs. cest' la vie!

and I haven't forgotten about SOldbear's offer
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
and I haven't forgotten about SOldbear's offer
Huh? What offer???

Just kidding. Let me know when.....
04-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Saga of the Broken MG cont'd

Well, it's official,,, I will take the camera apart.
Short story... a local repairman would want $200.00 to CLA and fix.
Short story... a buddy sent me his srt605 kit to me...the viewfinder is hairy...same repairman wants $200 to CLA and fix.
I don't know what to think... either he's not hungry or he is very hungry.