Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #1

Sticky shutter on Honeywell Pentax H1a

I was perusing this site and wondered if you can offer an opinion on an old SLR I have? It is a Honeywell Pentax H1a with a Super Takumar 55 mm f2 lens. It is in clean condition but, when I shoot, the shutter speeds between 1 second and 1/15th of a second (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/15) cause the shutter to stick open.

I cannot remember if that was how the camera worked -- I am skeptical. The speeds from 1/30th to 1/500th work fine. It is extremely clean, had seen little use since I got out of the USAF (I bought it in 1969 and last used it around 1985), and has been stored in a clean dry place all this time.

My thanks in advance for your recommendations and whether it'd be worth poking into.

Bill, k6whp

07-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like the camera needs a CLA (Clean Lub and Adjustment.) I doubt the faster speeds are accurate either. As the camera has sat over the years, the lubricant dries up and gets gummy, which is what is causing the shutter to stick. Same with aperture blades in lenses.

A good CLA would probably cost more than the camera is worth. I may have my SV done anyway, just because it was my first serious camera, and it has emotional value.