Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MV Impulse Purchase

I'm gonna skip the intro. My first post was to register my K1000. I bought it new in '88-'89 after I graduated high school and had to give my student camera back. The original kit zoom didn't make it and was replaced in 1998 with a 50mm f2. Best upgrade ever!
I haven't shot a roll out of it since last July but I do use it now and again. My camera today is an old S2 Pro.
With the nice weather, I've been wanting to get some film. I have been meaning to get a good telephoto for it also so I started browsing Ebay for something cheap...maybe broken.
Long story short, I made an impulse purchase. I won a complete MV with 50mm f2. I'm interested in the auto exposure and, to prepare myself, I went for a walk today with my S2 set on A.
I searched this site and it seems like this is a pretty rare camera. Does anyone have any experience with the mv? It should work just like an MV-1 right? I read that it has a metal leaf shutter. How does this compare with the silk shutter of my K1000?

Thanks for any info. I just found Bojidars K mount page and I'm gonna do some reading.

04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
Thanks for any info. I just found Bojidars K mount page and I'm gonna do some reading.
Metal shutter, yes; leaf shutter, no. You'll probably find it is significantly quieter in operation than the K1000.

From a user standpoint, the MV is arguably the simplest SLR Pentax ever made. I kind of like that idea. I haven't used one, but used to have the similar ME.
04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it shipped today so I should have it in my hands in a couple days....to my door for $22 and change!
Assuming the AE functions and the light seals are good, I'll have a roll through it by the end of the week. I'm psyched.
I fired off the K1000 yesterday and it made me jump! No joke! I felt the mirror smack in my hands!
After using my S2 almost exclusively for 6 months, the K1000 really bangs when it goes off! I'm looking forward to using my new MV. Small, fast, light and simple. Also quieter and a 1/100 flash synch. I hope it meets my expectations.
About the shutter, the K1000 has a curtain that moves left to right and the MV has steel shutters that go top to bottom? What considerations will I have to make, if any?
04-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Send it for CLA...
I used my ME Supre for a couple of days, then the shutter jammed. Jammed with goo from the damn lightseal.
Can't describe the feeling.

Octav

04-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

I just found Bojidars K mount page and I'm gonna do some reading.
I love that site
04-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to try my own CLA at some point. I've repaired my S2 when the PSAM knob broke and My F700 which, after I replace the lens and and motor (soon) and clean the CCD, will have no more original parts....except the boards and the front and rear covers. I've replaced everything else!
I think I'm up to it. Oh, I did take apart an OM-1 once but the meter string thing was mangled and tangled so I put it back together and called it a day. I did manage to get all the sand out of it though and get the shutter working again!

Bojidar has a nice site but, as I'm finding everywhere, not much info re my new camera. I guess they were only sold for one year? Being so basic yet not having a manual shutter setting killed it I guess.
I think it'll work ok. I like Av and, although I enjoy a manual camera, focus and aperture are more important to me. Shutter speed, for what I usually shoot, is more of an afterthought and an extra step I won't mind not taking. I think I'll like this little Pentax. It looks pretty cool too.
04-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just checked out this guys site:Gordon Ian Stalker
Maybe I'll just send it out!

04-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the camera today. Pretty sweet. There's a few chips around the edges but no brassing or scratches. It looks nice and shiny inside. The lens is perfect. Doesn't appear to have been used much. The seals are gummy so I'm sure it's time. It cocks and fires good though. The advance lever is much smoother and easier then my K1000 and the shutter is definitely quieter.

Question. How does the exposure compensation work?
The rewinder knob is a little bent from being forced but for less then $25 bucks, I'm leaving positive feedback.

Edit: I think I get it. You just change the ISO right?

Last edited by Gashog; 04-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Forum Member

I think on some models (MV and MV-1?) you simply change ISO according to the plus and minus marks appearing when you lift the film rewind lever slightly. Pentax redesigned that feature on more advanced models like the ME and ME Super.

Here is a link you might find useful (check under MF manuals for the MV): http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_mv_manual_s.pdf
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pyra_ohms Quote
I think on some models (MV and MV-1?) you simply change ISO according to the plus and minus marks appearing when you lift the film rewind lever slightly. Pentax redesigned that feature on more advanced models like the ME and ME Super.

Here is a link you might find useful (check under MF manuals for the MV): http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_mv_manual_s.pdf
Document locked.
Yeah you just move the ISO...ALOT! I must have missed that in photography class. I didn't think that bracketing a photo +-1 f stop would be like 64ASA...100ASA....200ASA.

One more question: Would using LR44 batteries mess up the metering?
04-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

..Bojidar has a nice site but, as I'm finding everywhere, not much info re my new camera. ...
Free manual download here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MV.pdf
04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I found it yesterday.
I went down to the local CVS and picked up a 3 pack of LR44's and a roll of BW400CN (for half of what I paid for the camera including shipping!).
The LED's work and change with changing light. I slung it with the thin strap from my K1000. I'll go for a rainy day walk tomorrow with it and see what I can find. I think I'll like carrying it a lot. I saw something in Shop Right I'd like to get a picture of.
04-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Last year I made an impulse buy of an MV myself . It's a handy little camera. I was afraid of the fragile ME, and didn't want to spend the money on an MX (I normally shoot an SPII). For some reason the MVs I run across aren't jammed like many of the MEs I see. I thought they were the same inside, but they must not be that closely related.
04-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was reprimanded in ShopRite for taking a picture of the Boars Head sign. Not before I grabbed the shot though. The "associate" tried to get in front of the camera to block me but the little MV was too fast! If I'd had the big ol' K1000 with me, I'd have been busted for sure!

Seriously, the camera works very well. I'm impressed by how nicely it winds and the feel of the shutter button when it brakes. It feels like a little gun. Much nicer then my old K1000, I hate to say. The test roll came out very good. I thought it might have gotten over exposed but that turned out to be CVS's scanning process. My $60 FleaBay Wolverine does a better job and the exposures look perfect.

This is my new favorite 35mm SLR.
There is a local cop who has an ME Super with two lenses for me. I keep missing him but, when we do meet up, maybe the ME will be my new favorite.

I'd sell my K1000 but I bought it brand new.....soooooo....It's gonna be hard to let it go. Maybe I'll just keep it for in case my kids catch the bug.
04-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From the test roll. It's exposed properly, the drug store scan is too contrasty and light.

Name:  015_11.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  184.0 KB