Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
...I cannot comment on the Nikon yet but if it performs as advertised, I will be selling the Epson V600 and the DualScan to keep only the Nikon and the 5400 as a 35mm backup.
There you go Drew, Luc will likely be selling his DualScan IV. Just get on the ferry and meet him in Tsawwassen. I have a friend who has one and have used it on occasion before I got the Nikon. It is a great unit.

Steve

04-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. I would scan at a minimum of 2400dpi for your 120. I use that on my 4x5 too. When I got VueScan software with its multi-sampling scan capability, I saw an improvement in the results. Its interface sucks but I've learned to live with it.
Thanks for the advice on scan resolution. I have the VueScan demo and have used it with the Coolscan 5000, but never felt that it did a better job than the Nikon software. I will have to try it with the Epson. And yes...the interface sucks, not as bad as SilverFast, but sucks none-the-less (hate the giant hourglass).

Steve
04-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There you go Drew, Luc will likely be selling his DualScan IV. Just get on the ferry and meet him in Tsawwassen. I have a friend who has one and have used it on occasion before I got the Nikon. It is a great unit.

Steve
That is a fantastic turn of events! I will message Luc about the DualScan. I just did some research on reviews for the DualScan, and the test images I saw will more than satisfy this hobbyist.

Thanks!
04-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks for the advice on scan resolution. I have the VueScan demo and have used it with the Coolscan 5000, but never felt that it did a better job than the Nikon software. I will have to try it with the Epson. And yes...the interface sucks, not as bad as SilverFast, but sucks none-the-less (hate the giant hourglass)

Steve
Well, one thing is that I've had the 4990 for a long time and the software that came with it is so-so and pretty old. So pretty much anything was an improvement.

04-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I scanned all 20,000 oft film fres with a minolta dimage II scanner. It took3 to 4 years, but it was worth it . The store I bought my k10 from , at the time was charging $1.00 per strip to scan. This works out to $0.25. Per frame on cut negatives but they also charged $1.00 for a strip of 36 frames. This was ok for new work. The local processor charged about $6 per roll, but for this they scanned in resolution to print 4" by 6" prints. The moral is watch out and leave exact instructions
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the advice on scan resolution. I have the VueScan demo and have used it with the Coolscan 5000, but never felt that it did a better job than the Nikon software. I will have to try it with the Epson. And yes...the interface sucks, not as bad as SilverFast, but sucks none-the-less (hate the giant hourglass).
Steve

Steve, you get used to the interface pretty easily when you start saving settings for each type of work. My preference for B&W is to scan to DNG raw just setting the white point, multi-pass and multiexposure as needed and invert the curve in ACR.
Now SilverFast, that is an interface that make me throw-up

Cheers,

Luc
04-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the comments
Actually Horseshoe Bay is closer than Tsawassen ferry wise.
Drew has been in touch so it might be an all Canadian deal brewing

Cheers,

Luc
04-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the comments
Actually Horseshoe Bay is closer than Tsawassen ferry wise.
Drew has been in touch so it might be an all Canadian deal brewing

Cheers,

Luc
You are both very welcome! Sorry, I forgot where Burnaby is. Yes, Horseshoe bay is MUCH closer and a shorter ferry ride as well! I was a year at UBC about 30 years ago, but spent most of my time on the Endowment Lands, Kits, downtown, and in Richmond.

Steve

(Still think BC is the best of places...)

04-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Steve
I agree with you on about the Vuescan, and I think the Nikon software is pretty poor.
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I have a love/hate relationship with vuescan. I love it in color and hate it in b/w - have never got anything close to a good b/w scan. (Epson 4490 on Linux)

What I love about it in color, in the professional version, is the high bit-depth DNG output that I can give to UFRaw and do any adjustments I want without worrying about posterization effects.

Tuco, you get those gorgeous scans in b/w from vuescan - you must have something set up very differently than I do. Maybe I'll try it again and post one of my awful samples. Probably I'm making some kind of very simple mistake. But for now the only way I can get good b/w is a convoluted scanimage -> graphicsmagick -> Cinepaint -> GIMP workflow. Some of that is scripted, so it's less trouble than it sounds, but still I'd love to let vuescan replace the first three steps, if I could just figure it out.
04-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote

Tuco, you get those gorgeous scans in b/w from vuescan - you must have something set up very differently than I do. Maybe I'll try it again and post one of my awful samples. Probably I'm making some kind of very simple mistake. But for now the only way I can get good b/w is a convoluted scanimage -> graphicsmagick -> Cinepaint -> GIMP workflow. Some of that is scripted, so it's less trouble than it sounds, but still I'd love to let vuescan replace the first three steps, if I could just figure it out.
Thanks. I scan, save as TIFF and edit in the GIMP. I don't do anything fancy. I tried DNG a few times using Raw Developer to preprocess before finalizing in the GIMP and it didn't make any difference I could tell. So I just save as a TIFF to keep it simple.
12-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #27

Scanning tip

Hey Guys,

Just my two cents...After spending a majority of my career as a photographic engineer for Eastman Kodak you can trust me that high-end scanning is an art, not a science, and not for the faint of heart. the settings that produce a beautiful scan on one frame may or may not on another! There are just so many variables. So my suggestion is send them to a quality prolab, unless you are willing to spend a lot of time on the learning curve. Also, just FYI, Almost all high-end prolabs are still using the Kodak HR500's on anything that does not require a drum scan. so if you are looking to buy a scanner that is what I'd be looking at, but be aware it is one of the most complex scanners ever designed, and takes a lot of practice to master. For purposes of full disclosure, I should let you know that I am in the HR500 business, but I would give the same recommendation either way.

If interested, please check out http://www.hr500scanner.com