Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
what's an LX worth?

Am curious about all the fuss about the LX-
-a bit like the holy grail?
-many drooling?
might be disposing and not having used one , am curious as to whether its a keeper amongst the the others?

04-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It is a fine machine. This may seem odd, but I especially love the advance lever. QUICK!
04-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't give you an exact figure, but they're pricey and sought after because they're solid, pro-level MF SLRs

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are simply "nice" to use. No extra features to confuse the essential matter but also no essential feature missing.
It is just a matter of taste.
For me the LX is a Islay single malt, the other 35mm cameras can be nice highland malt or just blend but at the end of the day, that is the one I come back to. Simple but with enough complexity to fullfill and keep the inetrest for a long long time.
Or like a pair of good shoes, you just forget that you are wearing them.

BTW I have recently acquire a Pentax 645 (the original) and it gave me a little bit of the same feeling, everything is there not too complicated, not too simple. Like good cars used to be.

Cheers,

Luc

04-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #5

The LX is the camera I use the most, even ahead of my K-7.

It's small, tight and jewel-like to hold. The winder really is like silk. The viewfinder is big and bright. And the camera just seems designed to take photos, with no fuss, in a way that so many cameras aren't.

The LX with 3 lenses -- M 50/1.4, M 28/2.8 and M 135/3.5 -- fits with room to spare in a tiny hip pack (Lowepro Orion Mini) that goes with me just about everywhere. (I also carry four rolls of film, some business cards, a yellow 49mm filter and a set of spare batteries.)

Anything I would change? Sure. Wouldn't mind a spotmeter. Wouldn't mind easier exposure compensation. Wouldn't mind faster flash sync. Do I need them? Not at all.

I only wish the MZ-S had turned out to be as much a winner in its class.
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

An LX goes for $250 to $350 depending on what exactly is included and what condition it is in. Of course you might find a deal somewhere. Or you might wish to pay $3,496 (special reduced price) on eBay.

There's info on the LX at Bojidar Dimitrov's page, where you can compare it feature for feature to other film bodies.
04-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Pentax LX, is the first full scale system camera aimed directly at the professional market by Asahi Pentax Co. It is pin-sized and different from the normal SLR at that time. The LX encompasses a good compromise between compact, ruggedness and functionality.
When it was introduced, it was meant to take on the Nikon F3 series camera.

Some salivating pictures : pentax lx - Google Search
04-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The LX has all the features a pro-level Manual-focus SLR should have. Easy double exposures, DoF preview, Aperture Priority AE or fully manual exposure.

It has a beautiful, bright split-ring focus screen, interchangeable with the earlier MX.

It has interchangeable finders, including my friend's favorite finder for his LX, a big speedfinder that looks more like a video screen than a viewfinder.

It's tight, fairly compact, tough, and weather-sealed, and what's more, it's off-the-film-plane low-light metering is unmatched in its ability to capture low-light pictures. Just put it on Auto and forget it!

I am confident that the LX is the best Pentax Manual-focus SLR ever made, and would even wager that it's probably the best Manual-focus 35mm SLR ever.

04-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Geeze, I did an online gallery dedicated to the LX when I ran the PUG.
I love the LX.
I have three of them.
I also have the entire finder set.
If you want the ultimate Pentax film camera, the LX is it.
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Geeze, I did an online gallery dedicated to the LX when I ran the PUG.
I love the LX.
I have three of them.
I also have the entire finder set.
If you want the ultimate Pentax film camera, the LX is it.

What he said, especially the bold bit

Except I only have one, with another on the way. And I only have the standard viewfinder and the high-eyepoint one (what a great idea that set-up is!!)
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IMO the LX is the Ultimate Pentax manual focus film camera.
There is no model close to it in the Pentax range of cameras over the years.

Some says that it is a pro-level Manual-focus SLR camera.
The features of bright split-ring focus screen, fairly compact, tough, and weather-sealed at the time the LX was launched in yesteryears, make it stand out as a pro-level SLR.

Cheers.
04-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It is a slick camera. I was using mine on Sunday and was reminded that it has a little window in the viewfinder that shows your aperture setting. And did I mention that it has an awesome advance lever?
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Forum Member

Working ones range from about $250-500.

I used one professionally as my primary camera from 1986 to about 92 and still have a couple of them. It's a camera that still performs a few tasks better than any other camera.

The finder FB1/FC1 combo is just superb for shooting low angle macros. That it rotates 180˚ also makes it pretty sweet for piggybacking on a telescope and shooting overhead objects with teles.
The feature of continuous OTF metering makes mirror lockup more useful. Long time exposures are easy to get right on the money.

All in all the LX is a rather seamless camera to the image making process. As was the trend in the late 70's it's very compact, at least until all the system pieces are piled on. The build quality was considerably more rugged and it was better sealed than just about every other camera available when it was new. (The LX managed to set the bar higher, though other pro and even pro-sumer cameras would eventually catch up. Curiously, it took Pentax about 25 years to build another with the same level of weather sealing).

Some of the LX accessories --e.g. MotorDrive LX-- are not built to the same degree of ruggedness as the body itself. There were some holes in the lens line up with a number of the contemporary early K mount lenses being only moderately good, but not spectacular lenses which wouldn't today be considered pro quality glass. By the late 80's there were few holes remaining and some really fabulous but at the time unheralded lenses, that likely went begging for pro use for lack of a refreshed LX.

Professionally, the LX was pretty much eclipsed by the Nikons with 1/250th sec sync speeds and better handling of fill-flash. It also didn't have spot metering or 1/2 stops on shutter speeds, the lack of which becomes handicapping once you've spent time working with another camera that had these features. The PZ-1 was the first camera from Pentax to combine these features. It's always seemed something of a pity that Pentax didn't really ever follow up with another truly pro-caliber 35mm film camera incorporating some of these technical advances. The P645N and NII perhaps come the closest, but aren't nearly as modular (and are, obviously, 645 and not 135 format. The K7 is also somewhat reminiscent of a refreshed LX).

Last edited by Ivan J. Eberle; 04-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Disregard what these guys have been telling you. It is expensive to CLA and is as temperamental as an early 1970s Triumph Spitfire. Therefore, I'll do you a favor and give you $50 for it to get it out of circulation.