Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Broken Pentax??!!?! Need a pressure plate...

Hey all-
My KX is scratching my negatives, and I'm wondering what to do about it.
Whatever is wrong with the pressure plate is vanishingly small, and a thorough cleaning has done nothing for the problem.
So my question is this: should I attempt to polish the plate, get a new one (available?), maybe try to scavenge one from a donor camera, or what?
The plate is easy enough to remove, if a replacement is the answer. So nothing to fear there.
Sad deal- this is my favorite 35mm camera, hands down. I really never thought I'd live to see one of my Pentax products need a repair!

07-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the position of the scratch(es) on the negatives, have you tried to narrow down the likely position of the problem?

Does the KX have film rollers and is it possible they are the source of the problem instead of the pressure plate?
07-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
I can't see anything wrong with the camera's roller, and other than the pressure plate that seems to be the only thing that rubs on the back of the film.
I've looked over the pressure plate and roller with a fine toothed comb... There are a couple of very small spots that look like may have some corrosion, but rubbing a piece of scrap film over it doesn't leave scratches that I can see.
Anyway, I swapped the plate out last night- the K1000 uses the same type, so I put the suspect one in the K1000 and the 'known good' one in the KX. So running a roll of film through the KX should determine whether the problem is gone or not.
Does anyone know if new pressure plates are available for these cameras?
07-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
DAP

I would call Pentax Colorado to check availability of new plates/backs. They should still stock parts for the K1000 seeing as though it was only discontinued in the mid to late 90's. If that doesn't work I would check flea-bag for some cheap DOA cameras to use as a parts donor.

07-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
DAP-
Thanks for the resources! I'm going to run a roll through the camera at this point and see if the pressure plate from the other camera changes things. If so, I'll be in the market. If not, I'll have a mystery on my hands!
07-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce Quote
If not, I'll have a mystery on my hands!
I'm sure this is just a silly coincidence. I've just been reading Keppler's Pentax Way and there was a comment in there about rewinding film too fast. It mentioned that attempting to rewind swiftly can cause static build up which results in scratch like marks on the film.

I've never seen this and have certainly, on occasion, rewound film as fast as possible but you never know. Besides motor rewinds are probably pretty fast anyway.

If you're not trying to rewind fast this is obviously a furphy (aka red herring)!

cheers

greg