Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #16

Hi,

I had a simmilar experience when traveling to Australia. All my films, except the one with the underwater shots form The Reef were OK, but the film with underwater shots was ISO 800 AND I forgot it in my checked luggage... Dang! The film was affected by X-rays. It is nearly unusable now, I did make the prints from it, but they are just horrible... So my advice would be, as others have already stated: Never put Your films in checked luggage. Hand luggage scanners seem to be OK for films ISO800 and bellow - that is my experience.

Bostjan

04-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is that i want to carry some High Iso (ISO 1600) and mostly 400 with some 100 around. And to worsen it all, i would cross between 3 and 5 airports to my destination. Is there any work-around? (I.E. sending it by air/water mail)
04-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
If it's above 800, you can ask to have it hand inspected. They don't like to do it for films below that, and many places have signs that say the carry-on inspection machines are fine for film below 800. But if you really have high ISO film, I'd ask for a hand inspection, and like one other poster said, take it out of the canisters and put it in a clear plastic bag.
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Really the only thing you can do is ask to have your film hand checked. As someone noted earlier, ask "politely"...do not demand. It will also help if you already have the film out of the bag and in your hand ready to check. I suggest using a baggie like the ones used for small amounts of liquid. If you have to go searching through your bag for the film and are holding up the line, it will lower your chances considerably of getting a hand screening. And if you are in the US, good luck with the TSA. I seriously think they look for victims just to take out their wrath for the guy that p'd them off 10 minutes before.

When I came back from Ireland 2 years ago, they kept my camera bag in the x-ray machine for about a minute and I could see him making all kinds of adjustments causing the screen to change colors. When I got home, the roll of Tri-X I shot there had 1 barely usable pic on it and the rest were garbage. I had tested the MX I used before hand and it worked fine so I really think the X-ray in Dublin ruined the film.

CW

04-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best part is that I may not be going through one of that country's airport, but two! If I send the film by sea mail or by normal air mail, is there any better chances provided that it arrives in time?
04-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies pertaining to x-ray films.
I just came back from China recently and my film was in hand luggage and has gone through the scanner at the airport and the prints came out OK.The film speeds were mostly 100 with 2 rolls of 400..
In short there is no issues caused by x-rays. I inquire if the scan would effect my film and the reply is no, it won't. That was relief for me...
04-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
I inquire if the scan would effect my film and the reply is no, it won't. That was relief for me...
This is ofcourse the standard answer, you will get anywhere, even if they put the film under a Cobalt 60 source for x-raying. You won't expect them to tell you how bad or outdated their equipment is or how malicious the operator.

Ben

04-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
The best part is that I may not be going through one of that country's airport, but two! If I send the film by sea mail or by normal air mail, is there any better chances provided that it arrives in time?
These days I wouldn't be so sure that mailing is any guarantee against x-ray.

I never fly, but I do have to be very careful to always remove film and film cameras from my truck when I have to go through the Customs x-ray device:

Pentax ME
Cosina MF 20/3.8
DNP Centuria 200

Any x-rays strong enough to penetrate two walls of Corten steel and 2.5 meters of whatever happens to be in between them would likely not do my film any good, I think.

The yellow thing is not the x-ray doohickey, by the way. That is merely a device for hauling trucks into the massive x-ray chamber.