Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need advice on a 35mm FILM Pentax camera purchase

Looking to get a decently priced Pentax 35mm film camera for a photo class., Need to be able to use my FA Limiteds on it-31mm, 43mm and 77mm. I don't want to spend a fortune, but still get a camera that's usable past the class. Suggestions ladies and gents? (Including honest sources for purchase.)
Rob W

07-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #2

Original Poster
Never mind folks! I just bought an ME from a member!
Rob W
07-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest a PZ-1 / PZ-1p

camera works with all the toys that go with any digital camera, plus good autofocus, full manual mode, and 1/8000 shutter that gives 1/250 flash sync.
08-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #4

I would also suggest Pentax (P)Z1. It is a wonderful camera. I have spent thousands of slides with camera and I am absolutely satisfied.

08-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If you hadn't bought the ME. I would have said the same. PZ-1p was (and still is) a great camera. Even feels like a K10D in your hands and the controls are very similar.
08-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I would have suggested that you look for an ME Super. Automation...manual shutter speeds....a Seiko shutter....and great ergonomics. It has it all.
08-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #7

I would have to say MZ-S or LX. I love those two, esp in tandem.

And the MZ-S with the limited lenses is a beautiful sight to be seen, and can turn out some of the most amazing negatives I have gotten. But the real joy is just how the body handles. We all know how to meter without our cameras slightly crappy cpu's, and we can all get good compositions. It all comes down to how the camera handles, and between the MZ-S and PZ-1P, the MZ-S wins every time.

Now, the LX is a great little beasty, and can survive more than a cockroach can. If you treat your gear hard, its a good one to own. Almost as tough as the Nikon F4s is, and in a much smaller and lighter profile to boot.
08-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Funny how subjective this can be. I don't think anyone would ever question the LX. I had one for 10 years and shot around 40,000 images with it in that time. Probably would still have it if it hadn't been stolen. That camera went up north in minus 45 degree weather and to Greece in plus 100 degrees. Dust, water, moisture, etc. It could take anything and if you wanted an accessory Pentax had one for it.

As for the MZ-S vs PZ-1p they are both great units. But for my money the PZ was a better unit. I like the shape and feel of the MZ a bit better and it certainly was feature laden. But the one huge drawback was the loss of Hyper program (which returned with the K10D). I had the camera for a month and wound up returning it to the store for a refund, thus keeping my PZ-1p till last year.

The PZ 1P was more than a capable performer and with Hyper program and Hyper manual it was the better of the 2 in my opinion.

I think if Pentax had not returned to the Hyper Program settings on the K10D I would have had to think long and hard about which DSLR brand to buy into. With the K10D that setup is even better than any version before it.

09-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Funny how subjective this can be. I don't think anyone would ever question the LX. I had one for 10 years and shot around 40,000 images with it in that time. Probably would still have it if it hadn't been stolen. That camera went up north in minus 45 degree weather and to Greece in plus 100 degrees. Dust, water, moisture, etc. It could take anything and if you wanted an accessory Pentax had one for it.

As for the MZ-S vs PZ-1p they are both great units. But for my money the PZ was a better unit. I like the shape and feel of the MZ a bit better and it certainly was feature laden. But the one huge drawback was the loss of Hyper program (which returned with the K10D). I had the camera for a month and wound up returning it to the store for a refund, thus keeping my PZ-1p till last year.

The PZ 1P was more than a capable performer and with Hyper program and Hyper manual it was the better of the 2 in my opinion.

I think if Pentax had not returned to the Hyper Program settings on the K10D I would have had to think long and hard about which DSLR brand to buy into. With the K10D that setup is even better than any version before it.
I think the issue is really related to what do you plan to do as well as film.

When I look back at all my cameras, my first 2 were a KX and a Ricoh XR-2s. what made these 2 a great pair is that when you looked into the viewfinder, and also put your hands on the controls, everything was in the same place., except for green vs blue on thematched needle metering they were identical. In addition, the cameras used the same lenses, flashes etc..

My PZ-1 was a great departure from this, BUT, my *istD, and K10D are almost identical in information and control layout to the PZ-1. My PZ-1 flash and all the lenses worked on the *istD, and except for an ultra wide angle (10-20mm) all my lenses work on my PZ-1, *istD and K10D

What is most important in my opinion is commonality of the controls and lenses. Therefore, I reiterate my previous point. What do you plan to do next with photography. If you plan to ever go to digital with pentax, the PZ-1 (or PZ-1p) is the best option.
09-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #10

MZ-3 may be suitable for you.
It is cheaper, light and handy.
It is also easy to control and meet all your AF lenses.