Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I am personally partial to the 35mm f/2 in the Super Takumar flavor.

I am also partial to the 105mm in all but SMC.

One of these days I really need to run a 24mm Takumar to ground.

On off brands I also am a fan of Isco Gottingen...

woof!
I tend to favor the Auto-Tak 105mm followed closely by the Super Tak 105. However, the open aperture metering is a good feature with the Spot F and my chrome ES.

Which 35mm f2, the model 1 with the big front element? I think the model 1 version of the 28mm f3.5, 35mm f3.5 and 35mm f2 are kind of cool looking but can't say about performance.

As far as off brands go, I like the Tamron Adapt-A-Matics, especially the 21mm and 105mm although the 105 is hard to find. They are hard to beat for the money since they are next to unknown and most of the time go improperly labeled in Flea-Bait.

05-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Some relatively cheap off-brand m42 lens to look at are some of the Sears lenses that were built by some top firms. Mamiya Sekor is another option an they made some of the Sears m42 lens some of which have sekor along with the Sears name. However, with the SX series mamiya, there is no A-M switch so they are A all the time which can cause problems in some situations, especially with dSLR use and will need modification or custom adapter. Others include Rikenon, Chinon, Tomioka ($$$), and Sun. Of course there is a Plethora of German stuff but the $$ is all over the scale as is quality and some of the really expensive ones are expensive more because of historical reasons than optical performance.
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I tend to favor the Auto-Tak 105mm followed closely by the Super Tak 105. However, the open aperture metering is a good feature with the Spot F and my chrome ES.
Yep... but the best of all possible worlds for me really is the preset version. Infinite number of f/stops. Want to borrow mine? Seriously, PM me. It is not getting anywhere near the use it ** needs **.

Which 35mm f2, the model 1 with the big front element? I think the model 1 version of the 28mm f3.5, 35mm f3.5 and 35mm f2 are kind of cool looking but can't say about performance.
Yes. Large element. Very large actually. Mine's all beat up and the auto/man switch is busted in manual. But I love it. Need to fix that...

As far as off brands go, I like the Tamron Adapt-A-Matics, especially the 21mm and 105mm although the 105 is hard to find. They are hard to beat for the money since they are next to unknown and most of the time go improperly labeled in Flea-Bait.
Look at Isco-Gottingen... did I already say that? Some of their lenses are finished beautifully as well. The M42s were made at a time when (Dad talking) "the Germans make the best glass." I love my Isco Gottingen Iscaron 135mm f2.8. here is a picture of one in Exacta mount. Beyond the great performance, they are dead-sexy, masculine lenses with an absolutely beautiful build.

As an aside, Schneider-Kreuznach acquired Isco-Gottingen some time back and now runs that company. I've thought that I'd really like to acquire one of those D-Xenogon 35mm f/2.0 simply because I have been using some form of Schneider/Isco optics with Pentax since the early 70's. This would be something akin to a homecoming for my K10D...

woof!

Last edited by woof; 05-04-2010 at 10:58 AM.
05-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
These are all good recommendations, and I'm looking out for Takumars/German glass. Also, I'm in the process of buying a vivitar 135mm lens, that I bought in the forum market place. I still need a wide angle, though, and this thread has given me solid leads.
Thanks

05-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
Forum Member

I wonder why Vivitar has not been mentioned? Their Series 1 glass and some of the regular glass with 22xxxx and 28xxxx designation are worth to collect, IMHO. The 90-180 Flat Field is also a good performer.
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I recently sold a Schacht 90mm/f2.8 that was a brilliant little lens. So small and light compared to my other AF 90mm macro lens.
05-04-2010, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
These are all good recommendations, and I'm looking out for Takumars/German glass. Also, I'm in the process of buying a vivitar 135mm lens, that I bought in the forum market place. I still need a wide angle, though, and this thread has given me solid leads.
Thanks
Want to borrow a couple that I never use? I have a Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 auto that I'd let you try. Nice lens overall. Could ship it out this weekend.

woof!
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That would be excellent. I'm operating about 20$ in debt right now, so I can't pay you back for postage, and it might be a couple weeks before I ship it back. If you can live with that, I'd love to try your lens.

05-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
That would be excellent. I'm operating about 20$ in debt right now, so I can't pay you back for postage, and it might be a couple weeks before I ship it back. If you can live with that, I'd love to try your lens.
PM Sent
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CGJung Quote
I wonder why Vivitar has not been mentioned? Their Series 1 glass and some of the regular glass with 22xxxx and 28xxxx designation are worth to collect, IMHO. The 90-180 Flat Field is also a good performer.
I was just literally given a Vivtar 135/2.8 with the 55mm front element. I'd have to check the SN to know whether Kiron or Komine but it is sharp and renders colors beautifully. Must be of the Super-Tak era
05-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The good news is that there are thousands of M42 lenses to choose from; Takumars will not dissapoint you in any of their incarnations. Most Fujinon, Rikenon or Sekor lenses were wonderful. [Sears-branded lenses were either Rikenon or Sekors and usually sell for nothing]. Chinon lenses are quite good.

Many 3rd party lenses are brilliant, Sigmas and Tamron are OK; Vivitar depends on who made them; same with Hanimex, and Focal brand were not bad.

Then there are the Praktika Zeiss and Russian lenses which are very good as well.

Where you'll find more differences is in the wide angles; 28/2.8 use to sell cheap when they are off-brand.
In the longer side (above 100mm) I think the differences are less visible but still present.

Take a chance, go to thrift stores and search many times you may get lucky.
Cheers
05-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't rule out a Rikenon or Mamiya/Sekor either if your come across one. And of course there is the Zeiss Jena stuff and <hold on> Russian M42 glass!

Steve
agreed!!
i was pick this up from "loak" store in my country

and.. the copy of biotar

and here it is, the latest pick-up
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmmmm ... I might have a look around for some of the more obscure Euro/Russian lenses ... seems to be a few little gems out there. There's actually a CZJ Flektogon 20/4 going on the bay in Australia at the moment ... might watch it and see what it goes for.
05-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Yep... but the best of all possible worlds for me really is the preset version. Infinite number of f/stops. Want to borrow mine? Seriously, PM me. It is not getting anywhere near the use it ** needs **.

woof!
I would be glad to take it for a stroll, but of course I'd need to be close to your place and I think I'm not Is it the 105? Wow. I've got a 135 that has stiff aperture and a 200 in really great shape(it had some superficial fungus that was easily cleaned) and i love them. I love presets.

I saw a macro-takumar but i'm really out of money they were asking $120 for it. That and a 135 for m37. I wont pay those prices right now.

p.s. sorry for diverting.
05-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well so far my experience of film camera lenses is admittedly pretty small, but I know what I like! I got two Takumar lenses with my SP1 and so far I'm pretty thrilled with those. They seem far superior to what I've seen on a friend's camera and also the lens I have for my old Canon. So far I have the Super Takumar 1.28/105MM (#2348354) and the Super Takumar 1.14/50 (#3291508) lenses. I seriously covet a Takumar 200/300 MM of some sort though so far I haven't seen anything listed at a price I can afford so that's just been out of reach. I might buy something else, upon a more mature photographer's suggestion, but the two Takumar lenses I own have really made me want to go for that, having a whole kit of those someday. I don't care if they are mildly radioactive. The two I have just blow me away and I definitely want me some more!