Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #1

kodachrome project Part 2

Dear pentaxians,

A few weeks ago I posted a question to explore some ideas about kodachrome. It is for a MBA class project. I would like to thank all of you who have responded to my initial question.

Now my team has created an online survey to capture data for quantitative analysis and I need your help. Your participation in the survey will help me to get some insight on the situation.

The link to the survey is

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

The online survey is strictly for academic purpose and all responses will be anonymous. Additionally, there will be no solicitation for any brand or product promotion. The survey measures a photographer's awareness, attitude, loyalty and tries to understand the benefits that photographers seek from their products.

I would like to request all forum members, who are reading this post and who have used film at least once in last 12 months, to take part in the survey. I need about 100 responses to make it meaningful.

There are 7 sections in the survey and it takes approximately 15-20 minutes to finish it. Once again, this survey is created by and will be used by academics, solely for scholarly purpose. There is no hidden agenda like trying to get your contact number for product promotion. There is no question in the survey asking for any contact information like email, blog or phone. I only need your honest opinion on some aspects of film photography.

The link to my original post is given below.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/94350-kodachro...tml#post967414

I hope to get some responses from you guys.

Thanks,

Subho

04-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took the survey. It is a little rough in spots, but I think I provided reasonable answers.

Steve
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done, very interesting!!

Thanks, Phil.
04-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I got confused by the points about picture taking style, so most of them had neutral answer.

Because, when shooting film i usually do it slowly carefully measuring the scene latitude, having a look from various viewpoints and then take a single shot.

With digital i tend to do the same, but instead of stopping and carefully analyizing the scene i just take a snap at each step and see what to adjust (position, setting etc).

Another thing is application. Even if i indicated that i'm a hobbyist, i use film exclusively for my "hobby" photos, but digital often gets used as an utility, to take various daily images (like photographing a public transport schedlue board). Since there was no indication on what type of photography the test applies somewhere i had to select all important, when the importance would differ from hobby to utility use.

04-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #5

Kodachrome

1st of all, I have to say, I love kodachrome. Most likely because it reminds me of the deep rich color of my Dad's old slide's he took in the early 50's. I shot a ton of it with my old K1000 when my son was first born, he's 26 now. My Dad's old slides, though some are scratched and dusty still look great after 50-60 years. He shot them all with an Argus C3, which I still have.
04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to love Kodachrome. The more of it I scan, the less so, especially K64. Shadows are a bear to bring up.
04-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I used to love Kodachrome. The more of it I scan, the less so, especially K64. Shadows are a bear to bring up.
It may be helpful to project some slides before scanning them if they have a lot of tricky details and shadows.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Took the survey. It is a little rough in spots, but I think I provided reasonable answers.

Steve
Same here on some of the questions.

04-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It may be helpful to project some slides before scanning them if they have a lot of tricky details and shadows.
I don't understand this. Most of my slides have been projected at some time. Could you explain?
04-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I don't understand this. Most of my slides have been projected at some time. Could you explain?
I have slept a few times since I've projected my slides. What I'm getting at is to look at it for accurate reproduction during scanning to determine if the overall results are about equivalent, worse or an improvement.

In other words, its for visual reference.
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have slept a few times since I've projected my slides. What I'm getting at is to look at it for accurate reproduction during scanning to determine if the overall results are about equivalent, worse or an improvement.

In other words, its for visual reference.
OK. I was confused because I thought you were saying the projection would change the slide.

I've been able to see the slides pretty well with a small backlit viewer. Still, it is difficult to get those shadows up to what I see.
05-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Done: Would be interesting if you are able to associate certain answers by user type, i.e. photographers such as advanced hobbyists who ebjoy the entire experience and might shoot Kodachrome for the experience of shooting Kodachrome.

Process versus product, sort of.
05-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hey Guys,

I have got enough responses from various sources including Pentax forum. If anyone is still planning to take the survey, please DO NOT take it, as it will not be counted.

Thanks to everyone who commented here and to my earlier post. Double thanks to folks who took the long survey. All constructive criticisms were duly noted. This was a good learning experience. Hopefully, I will be able to prepare a better survey next time, if needed for any other class.

I am analyzing the data. All kinds of segmentation are being done to figure out meaningful associations. I will let you know what I find.

Subho
05-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though a Kodachrome enthusiast I did not take the survey.
I was turned off by the "invitation" sent in an unsolicited PM.

Chris
05-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Though a Kodachrome enthusiast I did not take the survey.
I was turned off by the "invitation" sent in an unsolicited PM.

Chris
Unless you are selling something, most PMs are unsolicited. It could be that he thought you were a Kodachrome enthusiast. Regardless, you could have declined the survey in the PM.
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter

OK. I was confused because I thought you were saying the projection would change the slide.

I've been able to see the slides pretty well with a small backlit viewer. Still, it is difficult to get those shadows up to what I see.
Gene, as a followup on this, one other thing I want to point out is that during projection you can focus the image and perhaps control the brightness. Some scanner holders may actually hold the slide just a small increment above or below the platen etc. which can effect the appearance of the image not being in focus. This is a way to verify that. There are aftermarket carriers that can be fine adjusted should this be the case.