Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #1

ME Super Shutter

I have an old ME Super that I try occasionally to put into service. For the majority of time it sits in a gadget bag as I am considering the move to DSLR, most likely the Kx.
The one problem it seems to have with the lack of use is the cocking of the shutter. Normal throw of the film advance fails to set it, but if I intentionally put a little extra force or a "bump" at the end of the forward throw, then all is well and the cocking of the shutter works normally. If I continue this way for 20 or so advances, by the end of the procedure the film advance works as I remember it when new.
Now this problem would probably be fixed by a CLA, but I'm not sure this camera is worth it, especially if I am considering moving to the Kx. Does it sound like something is bent or dirty towards the end of the film advance lever's throw? Even if I don't get the CLA done, as long as I remember that last "bump" against the limit of the lever's forward travel, it would work fine. The camera never really shot that many rolls of film and the exterior, mirror box and film area all look relatively new. I'm sure the light seals could use replacing, but as of now they are not gumming up and sticking the mirror as I often hear reported.

04-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wether or not fixing up your ME Super is "Worth It" is directly dependent on how much you think you'd use it...which in turn is dependent on wether or not you get it cleaned.

A CLA for your ME super would cost about $70, which is bad news for reselling, as you'll likely never recoup that. But if you intend to use it, it's money well spent.

The ME super is a wonderful camera, and as long as you have an aperture ring on your lens, it will work with any lens the K-x could use. I, personally, would think having a film body to go with your digital would be a very useful tool. Some argue that film pictures just look different and that a Digital can't replicate it. I'm not so sure that's the case, but I enjoy shooting all my film cameras.

Look into what lenses you intend to get for your K-x. Look and see, also, which alternatives exist that have aperture rings. If you can manage to put together a kit that features at least a couple lenses that work on both, you may find yourself using the very small and light ME Super a lot. I know I shoot the heck out of my Super Program, despite having 2 AF film bodies and a digital.
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moving to Film SLR forum.
04-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #4

I did a lot of photography with my ME Super; however, when the shutter needed replacing, I was told that the parts no longer exist. Can't imagine going back to film, anywho!

04-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ME super

Hi G,
bought my first in late '82(I think), second in '85, had a lota fun with em both.
had problems like you with first one beginning around '96.Was guy here in town
that had repair buisness (passed on since) who explained to me that some sort
of brass sear thats part of interlock between shutter-cock/ film advance and multiple
exposure button had worn, could be replaced, but he said pretty much what your
saying about being able to reconcile repair cost vs. use.
So there she sits, lens off mount,
kinda looks like she screamin for help I just cant give her.
Agree with Walter also, that button with the little trashcan icon on it
has spoiled me for ever.