Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Super Program disassembly

Somehow the little window that lets light in to illumintate the focusing screen led's have gotten dirty. There is some goo on it. I want to get rid of this, cause the ex. of my Super Program is in mint condition, apart from this and that annoys me.

Any tips on how to clean it? Anyone who has experience disassembling the Super Program, removing the top cover? I have disassembled the ME Super, but with this one, im expecting a lot more electronics and probably a lot more hassle.

Thanks

04-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bumping thread
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A related question: how to clean the backlight switch?

I have two Super Programs, and on both of them the backlight switch is useless. You have to push it in hard with the cap of a ballpoint pen or something, and then the light will come on, but fingertips are an insufficient tool.

There's no obvious way to get the switch out of the camera body, and I don't have a good idea about how to safely clean it in place. I tried spraying one with electronics cleaner, but don't think it did any good.

Seems that for your problem, the question is how to get the top cover off so you can find where the dirt is. I don't have an answer for that either.
04-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

sorry, i have no experience with disassembly of cameras, but you guys could give the service manual a look, it shows how everything is put together.

martin

link to service manual: Pentax Manuals

04-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely read the manuals, but I think just offhand, that the screen comes out with 3 screws accessible from the mirror box.

Be advised, though, that if the screen is really dirty it may need to be replaced altogether. I sent an SP to Eric Hendrickson recently because I didn't want to screw it up.
08-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
After more than 10 years, I have still not dared to disassemble the Super Program.

Now my camera interest is revived so wanted to give it a go again.

I have already managed to get the mode selector switch off, and the rewind assembly that remains seems very similar to ME super in its construction and thus easy to remove.

If I could just get the advance lever off i believe that it would be easy to remove the top plate and get access to where i need to clean.

This picture clearly shows where the rubber thing on top of the advance lever has been mounted with some adhesive. Now I could get a blade in there and pry it off, but i don't want to do that.

Does anyone have experience of dealing with adhesives on old cameras? Maybe some heat applied would get it to come loose in a non destructive way.

Last edited by pyra_ohms; 08-09-2022 at 12:15 PM.
08-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pyra_ohms Quote
After more than 10 years, I have still not dared to disassemble the Super Program.

Now my camera interest is revived so wanted to give it a go again.

I have already managed to get the mode selector switch off, and the rewind assembly that remains seems very similar to ME super in its construction and thus easy to remove.

If I could just get the advance lever off i believe that it would be easy to remove the top plate and get access to where i need to clean.

This picture clearly shows where the rubber thing on top of the advance lever has been mounted with some adhesive. Now I could get a blade in there and pry it off, but i don't want to do that.

Does anyone have experience of dealing with adhesives on old cameras? Maybe some heat applied would get it to come loose in a non destructive way.
I believe a special spanner wrench is needed, but I would be leery of corrosion after all these years.
My “Super Program” {which I purchased in 1983} still works, so I have no interest in “improving” it.

08-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking the top off is pretty basic. Tools will be JIS screw drivers, a span wrench or similar tool.

I'm going by memory here so.

Under the winder lever rubber cap you access a nut with edge notches. A span wrench to unscrew. I can't remember if its reverse thread but it might be.

Remove the rewind know by unscrewing which holding the rewind shift inside the back. Undee the rewind know is another nut that needs span wrench.

You can make the span wrench too from a compas or a needle node pliers by grinding the tips into the desired shape.

You remove the mode selector dial by unscrewing the locking ring with a span tool. Be careful, its easily scratched. ALSO NOTE: there is a very small spring loaded steel ball that will fly away if you're not careful. I think having it on lock before you remove it helps seat the ball (or maybe the opposite...can't remember for sure).

After that its a couple of screws next to the eye piece and a couple of screws on top.

There are wires running from the body to the hotshot.

The top widow is plastic and glued in place.

08-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks tonyzoc for these great pointers! Any idea about how to get the rubber cap off without destroying it?
08-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks tonyzoc for these great pointers! Any idea about how to get the rubber cap off without destroying it?
You can drip a little isopropyl alcohol around the edge off a cotton bud. Also I have e a watch back tool that works nicely for that. Another good choice would be a guitar pick or similar tool sold for phone disassembly. Note that the rubber cap has a little nipple in the middle, so work around the edges then pu it off. They usually come off pretty easy...unless someone glued it back on with strong glue. When you glue it back on you only need a tiny amount of glue on that nipple.

I hope you were able to decipher my typos.
08-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Under the winder lever rubber cap you access a nut with edge notches. A span wrench to unscrew. I can't remember if its reverse thread but it might be.
I think the winders almost always have reverse threads.
01-07-2023, 10:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pyra_ohms - how did it go? If you proceeded with the repair, I'd love to know more details. My Super-Program has a working but dim LCD display in the viewfinder, and the illumination light doesn't seem to work. So I'm considering doing the same thing that you were attempting. I suspect the natural light illumination window needs to be cleaned, and I haven't yet tried using any electronic cleaner on the switch, but I think that is worth a shot.
Thanks.
11-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I haven't yet tried using any electronic cleaner on the switch, but I think that is worth a shot.
Had a similar problem with my Super A, the viewfinder displays were coming on in a very unreliable way, I had to push the button a dozen of times. Finally checked the parts list to understand the basic construction of the shutter assembly, then got out my contact cleaning spray and (after removing the batteries) really soaked the whole thing inside out. I let it rest for 6 hours, sometimes pushing the release button and turning the mode selector, put in the batteries again and, voila, had a perfectly working unit with all the displays fresh and responsive. So just give it a try
11-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by estost Quote
Had a similar problem with my Super A, the viewfinder displays were coming on in a very unreliable way, I had to push the button a dozen of times. Finally checked the parts list to understand the basic construction of the shutter assembly, then got out my contact cleaning spray and (after removing the batteries) really soaked the whole thing inside out. I let it rest for 6 hours, sometimes pushing the release button and turning the mode selector, put in the batteries again and, voila, had a perfectly working unit with all the displays fresh and responsive. So just give it a try
Thanks. The contact that you sprayed was the little button meant to turn on the illumination of the little LCD exposure display inside the viewfinder? That is the part that isn't working for me. In bright light (like outdoors during the daytime) enough light comes in through that little window atop the pentaprism that it illuminates the LCD display and I can read the shutter speed and F stop display in the viewfinder just fine. But indoors, or in low light, not enough natural light enters that illumination window and the LCD display in the viewfinder is too faint to read. So, I try pressing the "illumination button" (shown on page 19 of the manual) at the side of the lens mount, but nothing lights up in the viewfinder. Is that the button you sprayed?

Thanks - Richard.