Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Why can't DSLR's have DOF Calculators?

Hi When all the information required for calculating DOF is there on a DSLR screen, why can;t the equipment calculate and show it on the screen itself?

I am sure is just a small calculation software that needs to be added...hope manufacturers will update their firmwares for it!!

04-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since this is the film forum my guess is that you posted in the wrong section.

However, once you start using the preview button you'll never go back to some calculations.
You can pretty much see the effects happening before your eyes.
04-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What laker^ said. The whole DSLR paradigm revolves around chimping, though DOF calculations could be displayed if enough people thought it was a useful feature to convince manufacturers.

But a requirement for that is for the camera to be aware of the focal length. On a Pentax DSLR, that depends on the lens - many of the lenses that I use, at least, don't identify themselves to the camera. In fact because I mostly shoot M-series lenses and Pentax DSLRs have the "crippled" lens mounts, my camera doesn't even know what aperture it is shooting. So such a feature could not be made to work for me.
04-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

You're also forgetting that there would be a need for that space in the viewfinder. DSLR viewfinders are small enough as it is, we don't need them being even smaller.
BUT, in live preview it would be possible to implement. Not that it would be too useful since you already see your depth of field and OOF areas in the screen.

It could apear in the exif tags, though. That might be nice.

04-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
What laker^ said. The whole DSLR paradigm revolves around chimping, though DOF calculations could be displayed if enough people thought it was a useful feature to convince manufacturers.

But a requirement for that is for the camera to be aware of the focal length. On a Pentax DSLR, that depends on the lens - many of the lenses that I use, at least, don't identify themselves to the camera. In fact because I mostly shoot M-series lenses and Pentax DSLRs have the "crippled" lens mounts, my camera doesn't even know what aperture it is shooting. So such a feature could not be made to work for me.
Generally, the camera does not seem to have a problem with the focal length, but it does not know the lens make or model. It needs to know the focal length for the shake reduction.
04-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Of course, they could go back to this:

except that it probably confuses and intimidates people who don't know what the hell it is.

Maybe we could just go straight to mounting robotic legs on the cameras so they can just go out and do every goddamned thing about the process and we can sit home.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 04-24-2010 at 07:55 PM.
04-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Generally, the camera does not seem to have a problem with the focal length, but it does not know the lens make or model. It needs to know the focal length for the shake reduction.
Right, I didn't think of that. The focal length input is even available with K- and M- lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Maybe we could just go straight to mounting robotic legs on the cameras so they can't just go out and do every goddamned thing about the process and we can sit home.
shakes Mike's hand

04-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Of course, they could go back to this:
My thought exactly.

Nah. Too much work. Your second idea was better I suppose.

woof!
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

THere are not f/rings anymore.... this would be a de-luxe feature
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
My thought exactly.

woof!
04-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My thought exactly.

woof!
I'd settle just for the aperture ring.
04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

except that it probably confuses and intimidates people who don't know what the hell it is.

Maybe we could just go straight to mounting robotic legs on the cameras so they can just go out and do every goddamned thing about the process and we can sit home.
Well, those fancy digital cameras STILL have not implemented a composition error light in the HUD. When they finally add that, people will wonder how anyone ever go by without it.
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #12

I imagine now:
QuoteQuote:
"Your image is not nicely composed, please move 10 meters to the left and 4 to the back. Acording to the map, there's a rock ridge there so you'll need a sturdier tripod and a shorter lens."
In a sharp robotic voice.
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
THere are not f/rings anymore.... this would be a de-luxe feature
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'd settle just for the aperture ring.
There are aperture rings and scales on MANUAL lenses.

That's just what I meant about too much work... too much work manually focusing, too much work looking at the scales, too much work learning how to use the scales, too much work buying manual lenses.

Pwew! This photography! Too much work!

Hell, apparently for the OP it is too much work flicking the DOF preview and LOOKING at the DOF... heh... No we'd rather take some calculator's word for it. Do you know that many folks these days do not know their multiplication tables? Know why? Too much WORK!

That's why Mike's damn robots are so appealing.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, those fancy digital cameras STILL have not implemented a composition error light in the HUD. When they finally add that, people will wonder how anyone ever go by without it.
LOL...

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
I imagine now:
"Your image is not nicely composed, please move 10 meters to the left and 4 to the back. Acording to the map, there's a rock ridge there so you'll need a sturdier tripod and a shorter lens."
In a sharp robotic voice.
ROTFLMAO...

And let's add GPS, so that the "please move 10 meters" scenario is actually practicable. Then we can take this all to the ultimate expression. All we have to do is see what lovely photos others have taken, upload the photos to our cameras so they can get the coordinates; at that point, our cameras will help us navigate to the exact spot. We won't have to be concerned with any composition because we'll KNOW it is nice. After all, we will have already seen the result!

Yes?

We won't even have to guess what lens to use, and we certainly don't have to be concerned with aperture or other settings. Heck even the time of day will be there.

An open book! It's all there in the exif and our cameras will read it, take us there, set themselves, and viola! A perfect clone of something someone else did. But very little work! No creativity wasted here. Don't have any. Even better!

Why even LEARN about cameras or photography? Taking picture should be... like... using a phone.

Yes... TOO MUCH WORK!

It used to be "f/8 and be there"... now it will be "triangulate and take it."

QuoteQuote:
I am sure is just a small calculation software that needs to be added...hope manufacturers will update their firmwares for it!!
Be careful for what you wish. I am sure it IS a simple calculation! Maybe Pentax will outsource this! That would suck! Too much work...

woof!

Last edited by woof; 04-27-2010 at 05:33 PM.
04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There are aperture rings and scales on MANUAL lenses.

That's just what I meant about too much work... too much work manually focusing, too much work looking at the scales, too much work learning how to use the scales, too much work buying manual lenses.
On a lot of AF lenses, too, until the DA series. Backward compatibility is a nice thing, IMHO.
04-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Forum Member

Back to the OP's question, I suspect that the reason is because lenses don't have encoders to tell the camera what absolute distance they are focused at. So the camera can't calculate the near and far limits (assuming they gave you a way to choose your circle of confusion in the config settings).

Theoretically they could put in an app that would let you manually enter your estimated distance and then calculate a d.o.f. range based on your current focal length and aperture and display it on the rear LCD. Maybe it's just too old school for them to put any effort into it.