Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent -- congrats on your shots!

05-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One thing I forgot to mention: I took about 26 "exposures" before I realized that the first roll wasn't spooled properly.

And it took me a while to figure out how to open the back.

And I still don't understand how I can set the ISO knob.
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
One thing I forgot to mention: I took about 26 "exposures" before I realized that the first roll wasn't spooled properly.

And it took me a while to figure out how to open the back.

And I still don't understand how I can set the ISO knob.
Pentax Super Program Instruction Manual
05-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I shot the roll of Portra 160VC. It looks really good. I can tell that my scanner is very bad, but I'm still satisfied using my scanner instead of upgrading or paying to have a lab scan.

Here's what is on my mind right now: Slow professional film looks great. But it seems to me that under conditions where I can shoot ISO 100 at 1/100 ƒ8, then even a point-and-shoot camera can be made to look pretty decent.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not giving up on film or going out of my way to find problems. But I'm just trying to find the right times and places where film is the best option for my photography. So far as I can tell, film is great in ideal conditions. But I think there must be more to it and I just haven't shot enough to figure out where it excels.

05-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Why do we mess with film ? Well it's an organic emulsion, it actually exists - do digital photos actually exist ?

I shoot digital primarily but I enjoy film, for me it's fun - What will it look like? Will I see greater dynamic range? What will the colors be like?

Film is a challenge and a surprise. And film cameras are a joy to use not to mention a history lesson.

Variety is the spice of life ! Sure you have a nice dSLR but here you are, messing with film

If you want to "excel" shoot RAW, if you want to get quick shots shoot JPG, if you want to have a fun experience shoot film from a nice manual camera with a big viewfinder

That's just my two cents

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 05-13-2010 at 03:01 PM.
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, Craig. I hear ya.

There is a great element of anticipation. I've got 15 exposures remaining on a roll of Fuji Superia Reala. I can't wait to get these developed. But on the other hand, they are far too valuable to waste on snapshots, so I have to wait until the time is right.

It is a challenge.
05-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
...they are far too valuable to waste on snapshots, ...
That is probably the best reason to shoot cheap film! I buy my B&W 35mm in 100' rolls, fill my own cassettes, and process it myself.

20 36-exposure rolls per 100' spool
Legacy Pro 100 (reputedly the same as Fuji Acros 100) is $26 per 100
Cost per roll come to $1.30 or $0.04 per frame
Price to process yourself <$1 per roll depending on chemistry used

If you don't want to roll you own, the same Legacy Pro 100 is $2 per roll.

For color, you can buy the cheap stuff on sale at Target or Walgreens or just standardize on Ektar 100 at $4.50 a roll. Ektar is pretty hard to beat at that price.

Steve